My signature is buggered; can't edit a link on one image without it changing on a bunch of others

Copious Kobold

Steampunker
As you can see in my signature, I have a bunch of links to workshop items inside a spoiler. A moment ago, several of them linked to the same thing.
When I change the ones that are wrong, any others with the same link change with them. It's like they're inextricably connected. Even deleting a "connected" one deletes the other images it's connected to.

I also noticed that changing which line a broken link is on changes which link it's connected to.

I've managed to fix it through sheer brute force, deleting and replacing the glitched links until they stopped connecting to each other; but I wouldn't be surprised if they re-buggered themselves a few days from now since my signature was fine a few days ago.

Last edited:
Sometimes BBcode inside spoilers can get messy, I've experienced that numerous times as well.

The way I fix it is to disable the BB code, that way everything will be shown as the code behind.
1631391146979.png

In that case, make sure everything is formatted inside the brackets, like this:

"[spoiler][media]content here[/media][/spoiler]"

things like "[spoiler]" can sometimes not be closed correctly, and then it tries to add a closing bracket at the end automatically, but that can mess up your text if you rely on that.

It can be a little tough to work with, but it would be easier to spot the error that way.

As you can see in my signature, I have a bunch of links to workshop items inside a spoiler. A moment ago, several of them linked to the same thing.
When I change the ones that are wrong, any others with the same link change with them. It's like they're inextricably connected. Even deleting a "connected" one deletes the other images it's connected to.

I also noticed that changing which line a broken link is on changes which link it's connected to.

I've managed to fix it through sheer brute force, deleting and replacing the glitched links until they stopped connecting to each other; but I wouldn't be surprised if they re-buggered themselves a few days from now since my signature was fine a few days ago.
Yeah, sometimes you do have to fix the bbcode by brute force. And like ppowersteef mentioned, using the manual BBCode (though tedious) can be the best way to force it to do what you want.

If it’s any consolation, the code didn’t just up and change by itself. The version of your signature from when you changed it last before today had a few [/url] tags missing from it (making a few images link to the same texture pack), so the changes that happened today just exacerbated it before you brute force fixed it.

Yeah, sometimes you do have to fix the bbcode by brute force. And like ppowersteef mentioned, using the manual BBCode (though tedious) can be the best way to force it to do what you want.

If it’s any consolation, the code didn’t just up and change by itself. The version of your signature from when you changed it last before today had a few [/url] tags missing from it (making a few images link to the same texture pack), so the changes that happened today just exacerbated it before you brute force fixed it.
Telling me it's my fault is the opposite of a consolation :p

Telling me it's my fault is the opposite of a consolation :p
Oh no, haha, I didn’t mean that. :D It’s certainly not your fault. The BBCode does have a mind of its own on occasion (when it’s trying to “help”), especially in Rich Text Editor mode. Just that it had already mutated on you a bit ago, so the changes made today snowballed it.

Back
Top Bottom