NPCs & Enemies Need More Prismatic Lacewing

Llama_Cat

Golem
I love 1.4 so much. In a thread I posted on last year, I wrote down some things i would like added to the game, and surprisingly, 1.4 added almost everything I could have hoped for. The new boss, empress of light, is a much appreciated addition to the hard mode progression and a good challenge to learn. But even with the buffed spawnrate of the prismatic lacewing, the limited time window still makes it a chore to farm. Terraria is sometimes all about the grind and I understand that, but most of the grinds have some aspect that is enjoyable, picking out a nice spot to fish for a few hours, or listening to the satisfying sounds of digging as you make a massive arena, or the most comparable grind to this scenario: finding and capturing truffle worms chilling in the underground mushroom biome. having only 1 small pocket of time in which to catch lacewings with how rare they still are was super demotivating for me when considering whether to test my mettle, to the point that i went ahead and skipped it completely until i knew i could make each attempt count. even the moonlord grind was preferable, at least the pillars' enemies will always be there for you to attack. I would love to try for empress and learn the patterns, but I can only get 2 lacewings (if im lucky) in a night and then wait a whole other night to fight it, its annoying because in the meantime, i just kill time gathering odds and ends or sleeping, which for me, kills the pace of the fight. to compare to fishron, its quite easy to get a stash of truffle worms since they dont care what time it is at all and when you're grinding you are actively and consistently making progress. though Fishron also doesnt care what time you fight him at, which makes things easier to manage.

I would love to see the spawn rate get buffed again, and the window to catch lacewings expanded to be the entire nighttime instead of just the evening. I do think it would be more funny than frustrating if someone were to accidentally kill a lacewing at 4:20 then have to face enraged empress. another systemic thing that could help the grind feel less bad is if sleeping in a bed made time go significantly faster than it already does. 5x speed is nice, but bumping that to 24x speed would be much better then you could just set up a bed, farm lacewings, sleep it off for 30 seconds, then do it again rather than the current time split of about half and half, half farming, half sleeping.

Anyway, these suggestions might break the game, and maybe its the way it is because of substantial playtesting and data gathering, i just wanted to voice my opinion. any approach to fix the problem would be much appreciated.
boiling it down for the sake of game dev feedback: I don't enjoy the prismatic lacewing grind. Why? i feel like there's too much downtime between the progress-causing activity, a time gate for the summon which is unique to this boss, which feels especially bad.

Thank you relogic team for making this update truly amazing and giving me another 90+ hours to keep in my memory banks :)

5x speed is nice
Wait, so sleeping does speed up time? The more you know...
As for your suggestion — i'm getting 5 lacewings during regular night by using one simple trick....
Make a surface hallow arena with this new torch luck in mind. Water candles help as well.

Wait, so sleeping does speed up time? The more you know...
As for your suggestion — i'm getting 5 lacewings during regular night by using one simple trick....
Make a surface hallow arena with this new torch luck in mind. Water candles help as well.
Yeah I use a water candle and torch luck (and I'm making sure I'm not in my "town" biome) , but I can only seem to get 2 a night. if there's one thing I could improve, maybe more rows of hallowed grass around? idk, 5 a night sounds a lot better though, just wish the downtime was greatly lessened

Last edited:
getting a blood moon helps I got 5 in one night and it hadn't even been 12 I was just over-eager and didn't make use of my time

Back
Top Bottom