Sprites Needed solid block shapes + Hammer mechanic

GG Cannon

Terrarian
As the title suggests, I would like to suggest 7 new shapes to the solid blocks that currently exist in the game as well as a new mechanic for the "Hammer" tool to help comport the new shape as well as a giving a quality of life improvement even if considering only the already existing shapes.

The Shapes

I'll be talking about them first as with a single image I can show them all and give a good example to why they matter and how positively they would impact the game.

Needed Parts.png

Shapes in green are the ones already in the game while those in red are the suggested shapes.
The example is a simple window to exemplify how useful those shapes are.

For easier mentioning, I will refer to the shapes as "Sqr"(Square, Full block), "Tri"(Triangle, Half-Block), "Rct"(Rectangle, Thin Block) and "Dot" (Corner block)

New Hammer Mechanic
No one really wants to click 10 times to get to that shape you want for each and every block when you are building something. With just the current 5 shapes, it is already pretty bothersome some times.

For that effect, even just considering those shapes already currently in, but specially so considering the 7 new shapes suggested, I'd like to point the possibility of splitting the hammer's function into right and left mouse click or adding a function to the "Alt" key for "Alternative Function".

Due to the use of RMB, the hammer would now only be useable when equipped in a number from 1 to 0, and not when holding it with the mouse with the inventory open, as RMB would mean throwing the hammer on the ground.
While if the Alt key is used instead, game commands would remain basically the same.

Equipping the hammer and clicking with left mouse button/not using alt key would cycle a block through its shapes:

Needed Parts 4.png

Starting from recently placed sqr > tri > rct > dot >back to sqr.

The shape would start facing the direction the player's character is currently looking, so if you are looking right the moment you click, tri will be pointing right and the dot will be placed on the lower right corner, while looking left would place tri and the dot pointing and placed to the lower left corner.

I suggest this sequence for the shape cycling due to "Hoiking". As because of hoiking the tri shape is the most used right after sqr shape, it is important that tri comes before rct.

While the right mouse button/using alt key would cycle the current shape through its positions:

Needed Parts 2.png

Needed Parts 3.png

This would give a wider array of block shapes to work with and build, while at the same time keeping the amount of time needed to get to a specific shape basically the same if not making you reach the desired shape even faster.

For Hoiking, it would be even better, as you'd need to click once to get to the triangular shapes and then use Alt/RMB at most 3 times to get to any tri shape you wish to use, meaning you would at most click 4 times to get to any tri shape.

This is my first post here in the Terraria forums and I created this account just to suggest this as I felt a dire need for these shapes and function several times while playing.
I haven't really played Terraria for a very long time and I never played it all that much when I played on my cousin's computer a long time ago, so I'd really like to hear comments from more veteran players and forum dwellers on what they(you) think about this.

Thank you for the attention and taking your time to read.

Would love this(just manly for the half slab for walls and ceiling)

Right? Also, the thinner rct could also be very useful for making support pillars, specially bamboo.
Like, if you put together two rct shapes, back to back they will be a slightly thicker yet still thinner then the sqr shape very useful for making support pillars for example to hold a house's ground above water.

Also for windows and skylights and such. Yet, to have all four rct shapes, the dot shapes become needed if you wish to connect to thin rectangles forming an "L" corner

This could be used, for example, to make a "bigger than usual" square using one square block, 4 rectangles one each side and 4 dots on each corner. Which actually has a lot of uses.

Dot? Could you show an example
This is a good idea even though it would take days to resprite every block to these shapes :>

Dot? Could you show an example
This is a good idea even though it would take days to resprite every block to these shapes :>
The "dot" shape are the very small squares at the corners in the example images I showed.
Needed Parts 5.png

The 4 shapes, in order
sqr > tri > rct > dot
Needed Parts 4.png

square > triangle > rectangle > dot

There is a reason for them not adding this, and that is that the engine can only hold two more block states. This means that only two of the proposed seven could get added, and that's not really something that the developers want to do.

could you show what it would look like with an actual block 0.0

I'll try making an image example whenever I go into the game again.
Have not been playing for a while now.

There is a reason for them not adding this, and that is that the engine can only hold two more block states. This means that only two of the proposed seven could get added, and that's not really something that the developers want to do.

I guess that could easily be fixed by splitting each block into 4 "objects" when it comes to programming.

As I mentioned in the original post, hammer would have two different functions when it comes to hitting blocks.
Right mouse button would control the shape and left mouse button would control angle.

If so, to remove that limitation for block states, all you need to do is split every block into 4 different objects for each shape, programming wise.
So "dirt" for example would have block.dirt_sqr, block.dirt_tri, block.dirt_rct, block.dirt_dot.
All 4 objects would drop a dirt block when mined and, except for square that has only a single state, all objects would have 4 states each for each angle.

So example you'd place a square block of dirt. Left click it twice it goes sqr>tri>rct. Then right click it 3 time to put it at the angle you want.
By this point, for the program, it'd be a block.dirt_rct at state 3.
If you dislike it and use a pickaxe, it would drop a pickable dirt block.

For the players it would be almost imperceptible, for the program, it would fix by making it possible to have unlimited shapes, each with up to 8 states/angles.

Back
Top Bottom