Items New Dyes

MorningSTAR-αΩ

Official Terrarian
Okay this is gonna be the first of many crossposts from Terraria Online. This one shall focus on the basic color dyes, and as such they will be quotes of my OP from the respective topic (though with some changes for this post).

Okay so I noticed that green (Lime, Green and Teal), blue (Cyan, Sky Blue and Blue) and purple (Purple, Violet and Pink) get 2 or 3 shades each but Red, Orange and Yellow only get one (unless you count Pink but that means that Purple and Red are equal at 2 shades each) here are my suggestions on a more equal palate (this applies to paints as well): as well as provide some Hex triplet codes so that you can get an idea of the colors

* Scarlet (since Crimson is already taken. FF2400. more red than orange) The item will be a Scarlet Apple found in a tree in the forest and Jungle (similar to the Pink pears), however the item won't spawn on Mahogany trees.
* Vermillion (FF4500. more orange than red) this dye is made from a Vermillion Feather dropped from a new variety of Harpy (which is red in reference to the Vermillion Bird,) found in hell, the floating islands and the the Cavern layer (though they will be easiest to find in Hell)
* Goldenrod (FFDF00. Yellow orange) made not from gold ores bur instead a Gold Husk obtained by defeating a Golden Tortoise Beetle in either the desert or forest (depending which corresponds best to the actual beetles natural habitat)
* Chartreuse (DDFF00. Alternately Lemon. more yellowish than the Lime) the respective item is simple, a lemon named Chartreuse Lemon (if Lemon is the name instead then Lemon Citrus will suffice)

I also have additional suggestion for color shades if you consider Cyan and Pink to be separate colors from Blue and Red/Purple:

* Turquoise (00D3C3, More green than Cyan): The respective item is the Turquoise Porcelain Berry (I have no idea what biome fits this plant)
* Indigo: (560EAC) already suggested by Xakk
* Magenta (DC0055 Slightly more red than Pink): This will be drafted by the Magenta Lilly dropped by a new Forest Nymph enemy in the Underground Jungle
* Fuchsia (CB0077 slightly more purple than Pink): the corresponding item will be the Fuchsia Leaf found in the Jungle and more commonly in the Forest

So what do you guys think of these colors?

Side note. For context, Xakk's thread is here

Last edited:
the gold dye is sorta ingame now, but it's called reflective gold dye.

I was going for something...less reflective. Gold is a placeholder for when i can find a color in the yellow orange range that isn;t something like X Yellow (Though I think I can rename it Goldenrod to avoid confusion with the mineral and by extension the reflective dye)

I was going for something...less reflective. Gold is a placeholder for when i can find a color in the yellow orange range that isn;t something like X Yellow (Though I think I can rename it Goldenrod to avoid confusion with the mineral and by extension the reflective dye)
Ah I see (and that is also a good idea to rename to avoid confusion).

I'd like this, provided the new items wouldn't break through limits on the game engine.

One small correction. While the text colors in the big quote in the OP are correct for the real world, in Terraria at least two names are mixed up. Specifically, violet is called purple and vice versa. Purple (in the word's modern usage) is a non-spectral color, a mixture of violet and red, so it looks redder than violet does. Again, the game's names are the opposite of the actual definitions of those two colors. Your highlighted text shows the real-world color names correctly but doesn't correspond to Terraria's names for those two dyes.

[eta] Since it's a quote I'm not suggesting you should change it. Just figured I'd mention it in case of any confusion.

Last edited:
I'd like this, provided the new items wouldn't break through limits on the game engine.

One small correction. While the text colors in the big quote in the OP are correct for the real world, in Terraria at least two names are mixed up. Specifically, violet is called purple and vice versa. Purple (in the word's modern usage) is a non-spectral color, a mixture of violet and red, so it looks redder than violet does. Again, the game's names are the opposite of the actual definitions of those two colors. Your highlighted text shows the real-world color names correctly but doesn't correspond to Terraria's names for those two dyes.

[eta] Since it's a quote I'm not suggesting you should change it. Just figured I'd mention it in case of any confusion.

I already edited the quote for the text colors in the first place (and changing Gold from Goldenrod), that mix up seems like something you should bring up with the Devs though

Not worth bothering with, I reckon. Few people bother with accurate color names who aren't involved in the arts or similar areas. I mentioned it here in the hope of avoiding confusion if other people suggest color combinations that involve them.

Not worth bothering with, I reckon. Few people bother with accurate color names who aren't involved in the arts or similar areas. I mentioned it here in the hope of avoiding confusion if other people suggest color combinations that involve them.

It dosne;t help that the color known as Violet are referred to as both names, especialy by Crayola

Don't get me started on Crayola. Retiring great colors like… oops, I got started. Beg pardon.

Back
Top Bottom