NPCs & Enemies New NPC: Dungeon Master

Gaspy

Terrarian
I had this idea for a` new NPC. The Dungeon Master:
image (1).png

This is just a random pixel art that would look cool as it looks a bit like the Lunatic Cultist and the Lunatic Cultist is found at the dungeon. You could find him after Golem have been killed at the deepest part of your dungeon. If you talk to him, you have to give him 3 platinum to 'Prove you are worthy' to him. Before you can unlock the NPC, you have to curse the Dungeon master and it would be like a mini-boss fight.

Health: 15000
Fires homing projectiles that inflict Spectrilised debuff. ( A new debuff like poisoned but does more damage and lasts longer. Instead of green, it is blue. ) Here is what the debuff looks like:

New Piskel.png

Then he sells you these items:

image (2).png

"The Dungeon's Ring"
He sells you this for 30 Gold.

What it does:

5 Defense
All attacks in the Dungeon inflict Cursed Flames.

Item Tooltip: 'Hit with the Dungeon on your side.'

--------------------------------------------------------------

image (4).png

"Shard of Undead Souls"
He sells you this for 1 platinum.

What it does:
7 Defense
Increases all damage by 10%.

Item Tooltip: 'Lost souls grant you their might.'

image (5).png

"Reaper Bow"
He sells you this for 40 gold.

Base Damage: 52
Fast speed
Auto Fire
(Ranged Class)

What it does:
Shoots any arrow and leaves green, acidic bubbles for a trail, each dealing 5% of the bow's damage. It gives the debuff: Poisoned

Item Tooltip: 'The bow of one thousand souls'

image (8).png

"Dungeon Scythe"
He sells you this for 40 gold.

Base Damage: 73
Normal Speed
Auto Fire
(Melee Class)

What it does: Throws out a scythe that goes through walls and has a piercing effect. It gives the debuff: Cursed Flames

Item Tooltip: 'Strike with the power of undead essences.'

---------------------------------------------------------------

image (7).png

"Soul Arrows"
He sells you one Soul Arrow for 10 silver.

Base Damage: 17

What it does: Is a regular arrow and leaves behind a trail of acidic bubbles (like the Reaper Bow).

New Piskel-3.png.png

"Asphylite"

He sells you this to also craft things like:

Sniper Rifle
Keybrand
Inferno Fork
Shadowbeam Staff, etc etc.

For each thing it crafts you need 25 Asphylite.
He sells you one Asphylite for 1 Gold 50 Silver.
You craft these items next to an Ancient Manipulator.

Please tell me your thoughts as I have put a lot of effort into this idea. I hope you like it.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure some of those sprites are just recolors of items from Thorium or Calamity, and the rest are recolors from the base game. I guess the ideas are sort of interesting...?

I'm pretty sure some of those sprites are just recolors of items from Thorium or Calamity, and the rest are recolors from the base game. I guess the ideas are sort of interesting...?
Yeah, I'm not very good at pixel art and I just changed the colours, they are just base images. They don't actually have to be the exact sprites, they could be changed. But I just wanted the main point to be the NPC's and the Items,

Yeah, I'm not very good at pixel art and I just changed the colours, they are just base images. They don't actually have to be the exact sprites, they could be changed. But I just wanted the main point to be the NPC's and the Items,
Fair enough. But practicing pixel art is a good way to get better at it. And maybe the weapons should use a new debuff instead of Cursed Inferno or Poisoned, like maybe "Spectrised" or something. Also, maybe bump up the "Worthy" price, and make this NPC post-Golem (or post-Lunatic Cultist). Maybe even a mini-bossfight would be cool too.

Fair enough. But practicing pixel art is a good way to get better at it. And maybe the weapons should use a new debuff instead of Cursed Inferno or Poisoned, like maybe "Spectrised" or something. Also, maybe bump up the "Worthy" price, and make this NPC post-Golem (or post-Lunatic Cultist). Maybe even a mini-bossfight would be cool too.
I really like the idea of a mini-boss fight. It could be like you find him in the deepest part of your dungeon and he fires projectiles that inflict Spectrised. And when you kill him it leaves just the NPC. Also, do you know any good programs or sites for pixel art?

I really like the idea of a mini-boss fight. It could be like you find him in the deepest part of your dungeon and he fires projectiles that inflict Spectrised. And when you kill him it leaves just the NPC. Also, do you know any good programs or sites for pixel art?
I usually use paint.net, which you can get here (click on paint.net [current version] in the top right corner, as shown here).
1592212831794.png

Alternatively, I use Piskel to make animated sprites. The program shouldn't be too hard to understand.

Let me know if you need any help.

Maybe a special, closed off room could generate with the dungeon that's only accessible with a special key from the Golem or Lunatic Cultist? Perhaps with some thick walls so you wouldn't be able to see inside until you were ready.

Last edited:
Not particularly a fan of NPCs who only exist to sell you weapons that could otherwise be obtained or created through other means

Most other NPCs serve a relevant function that's either useful or novel. Functions like the Nurse healing you or the Dryad telling you your world's level of corruption. And the NPCs that only sell something are usually unique gimmicks. Such as the Witch Doctor selling you a station for Flasks or color fountains. Tavernkeep selling you Old One's Army content, Golfer selling you Golfing materials and content.

There are some exceptions, but almost never to the degree of existing only to sell basic class weaponry

Not particularly a fan of NPCs who only exist to sell you weapons that could otherwise be obtained or created through other means

Most other NPCs serve a relevant function that's either useful or novel. Functions like the Nurse healing you or the Dryad telling you your world's level of corruption. And the NPCs that only sell something are usually unique gimmicks. Such as the Witch Doctor selling you a station for Flasks or color fountains. Tavernkeep selling you Old One's Army content, Golfer selling you Golfing materials and content.

There are some exceptions, but almost never to the degree of existing only to sell basic class weaponry
I don't think the NPC will sell just weapons, probably some materials or other items that might prove useful in a playthrough. Not sure what examples to give though.

I don't think the NPC will sell just weapons, probably some materials or other items that might prove useful in a playthrough. Not sure what examples to give though.

There aren't really any provided. That point in the game doesn't really need another NPC to sell basic things though

Unlocked around that time is the Cyborg, who still sells unique things in the form of ammo for Rocket Launchers, which are a Ranged weapon archetype

This idea would need be to pretty expanded upon to make the NPC stand out, as interesting as the Miniboss idea is

There aren't really any provided. That point in the game doesn't really need another NPC to sell basic things though

Unlocked around that time is the Cyborg, who still sells unique things in the form of ammo for Rocket Launchers, which are a Ranged weapon archetype

This idea would need be to pretty expanded upon to make the NPC stand out, as interesting as the Miniboss idea is
I'm sure more will be added/changed later on.

Yes, I will make a new sprite for a material it will sell, also after Lunatic Cultist has been defeated, it could sell a Summoner for it.

Back
Top Bottom