PC New Rendering for Hi-res Support Causes a Shimmer Effect

Stahn Aileron

Terrarian
I play on a 1920x1200 screen (16:10 / 8:5, not 16:9). I started Terraria up to see what's new and test it out. While looking at the new in-game option menus, I noticed something odd for the zoom: it was at 100% (111%). I found out what this apparently means: the game renders at 1920x1080 and zooms into to fill in the vertical space. Unfortunately, this odd 11% zoom causes a disorienting shimmer effect while moving. Terraria can be quite the high-speed game, so this is detrimental for me. For a pixel-art game, I like my pixels to match 1:1 with my screen (or at least a nice, simple ratio).

Is there anyway to force Terraria to run at a full 1920x1200 resolution (without the inherent zoom) or am I stuck playing it with borders? 1.3.4 and prior ran pixel-perfect for me at my full resolution. The only issue I had was the BGs got truncated since they apparently were designed for a 16:9 ratio (I would be missing the bottom section). I know I'm not part of the majority, but I actually dislike 16:9 monitors for PC usage. (Watching video is fine; doing work, no.)

I play on a 1920x1200 screen (16:10 / 8:5, not 16:9). I started Terraria up to see what's new and test it out. While looking at the new in-game option menus, I noticed something odd for the zoom: it was at 100% (111%). I found out what this apparently means: the game renders at 1920x1080 and zooms into to fill in the vertical space. Unfortunately, this odd 11% zoom causes a disorienting shimmer effect while moving. Terraria can be quite the high-speed game, so this is detrimental for me. For a pixel-art game, I like my pixels to match 1:1 with my screen (or at least a nice, simple ratio).

Is there anyway to force Terraria to run at a full 1920x1200 resolution (without the inherent zoom) or am I stuck playing it with borders? 1.3.4 and prior ran pixel-perfect for me at my full resolution. The only issue I had was the BGs got truncated since they apparently were designed for a 16:9 ratio (I would be missing the bottom section). I know I'm not part of the majority, but I actually dislike 16:9 monitors for PC usage. (Watching video is fine; doing work, no.)

Could be a mathematical error in the resolution capture and converting it with the zoom float. May need someone's attention if this is the issue. Consider posting a screenshot of said settings and a full scale shot of you in-game.

@Leinfors

Just wanted to pop in to say that I've noticed that so-called shimmering effect too, as of the most recent update. Looks like the classic scaling problem where the system can't consistently decide just how many on-screen pixels to always scale a pixel to, so as they scroll by they shrink/grow slightly, creating a slightly wobbly/shimmery look as they alternate between being X and X+1 pixels wide.

@Stahn Aileron, one thing I wanted to check with you . . . have you tried out the 1.3.5.2 hotfix?

One issue was that 1920x1200 was inadvertently being scaled up when it wasn't supposed to be. Anything higher than that WILL have enforced Zoom. However, 1920x1200 should still be viable at 100% Zoom.

As for the "shimmering", yes, at some Zoom settings, there will be distortion. Settings at 100%, 150%, and 200% seem the cleanest, but I understand that it wasn't much particularly avoidable with our engine.

Back
Top Bottom