Mobile new to game looking for advise

Azboon

Terrarian
My son got me into this so I can play with him on the weekends. Turns out it is a fun little game. He crafted me some specter armor to start off with so I am assuming Mage build is the way for me to go. My questions are what should I be looking to obtain (with his help) that is available on android? I see lots of talk of the razorpine and blizzard staff but unclear if those are available to mobile users. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Well you already have post dungeon armor, but if you've just started, I would suggest getting one of the gem staffs, a laser gun (if you have meteorite) and maybe if your lucky, get a waterbolt. It is a book found on the shelfs in the dungeon, if your lucky you might find one close to the entrance.

Last edited:
I will start peeking around during my lunch hour at work. My son is coming back over this weekend for the 4th so he may have somethings to lend me but I want to be able to fend for myself as well lol.

My son got me into this so I can play with him on the weekends. Turns out it is a fun little game. He crafted me some specter armor to start off with so I am assuming Mage build is the way for me to go. My questions are what should I be looking to obtain (with his help) that is available on android? I see lots of talk of the razorpine and blizzard staff but unclear if those are available to mobile users. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Try to get the magnet sphere, shadowbeam and spectre staffs, and the magic dagger and the golden shower. Ask ur son how to get those. Oh and blizzard stagf and razorpine are really powerful but sadly they are not on mobile yet. They will come out soon in the 1.2.3 update which will probably be simentime in july or april
[DOUBLEPOST=1435880149,1435880129][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well you already have post dungeon armor, but if you've just started, I would suggest getting one of the gem staffs, a laser gun (if you have meteorite) and maybe if your lucky, get a waterbolt. It is a book found on the shelfs in the dungeon, if your lucky you might find one close to the entrance.

A good way to start terraria on a magic build is to get yourself some gem staffs. Also try to explore the undergound to get some useful accessories. Collect falling stars from the sky and use them to craft mana crystals to increase your total mana. If you have a gravitational potion, try your luck finding a star fury. A melee weapon, but is a really good weapon. In my opinion, there arent really that much good magic stuff until the skeletron is defeated.
If you read the wiki, try finding water bolts in the dungeon, or go craft yourself a space gun from meteorites.
For short:
Before skeletron:
Best to use melee or a gem staff.
After skeletron:
Scavenge for water bolts or find some magic based weapons in golden chests or go craft yourself a space gun.

Once hardmode is enabled and activated, if the wall of flesh dropped the laser rifle, use it. In my personal expeience, the best magical weapon that can be obtained easily with relative ease is the magic dagger, a drop from mimics. Try to flatten out a mountain (dont hammer out the backdrops) and consume some battle potions and use water candles to easily spawn the mimics and get the magic dagger (and all their other equally powerful drops). A good endgame magic weapon as of now in my opinion would be the Spectre staff or the leaf blower.

If the Spectre armor has a hood, then when you use a Magic weapon to deal damage to enemies, you regain some health. It's a tip.

I am assuming Mage build is the way for me to go.
Umm I personally would not recommend mage set to start; as mages rely on mana potions and Mana Flower to be effective.

The pain is crafting mana potions from scratch takes ages(namely fallen stars collection), and buying from merchant in early game is just a complete rip off considering the small amount of money enemies drop in pre-hardmode. And then Mana Flower require carpet searches in the jungle. (Praying to the RNG god may aid you in your success.)

Of course if you have the Mana Flower and the Mana potions then ignore what I just said.

razorpine and blizzard staf
These are not available in the current build yet, but will be coming between July-September.

He crafted me some specter armor to start off
Oh and that armor is near end-game too, big spoil; if you are looking to experience this awesome game to its entirety, I recommend you start a fresh character and enjoy every bits of progression you make.;)

Mana Flower really isnt to important other than some decrease in mana usage. If you're too lazy to simply tap the mana potion, mana flower will only be then reccomended.

If you're too lazy to simply tap the mana potion
It is not just a problem with laziness, it's the fact that you are actually stop firing briefly to drink the potion. Since mana consumption is quite high and newer players tend to use low tier mana potion, the stops will happen very frequently; consequently causes your damage output to crumble.

Guns on the other hand, doesn't stop firing as long as you have the gun juice. And melee never stop obviously.

A good way to start terraria on a magic build is to get yourself some gem staffs. Also try to explore the undergound to get some useful accessories. Collect falling stars from the sky and use them to craft mana crystals to increase your total mana. If you have a gravitational potion, try your luck finding a star fury. A melee weapon, but is a really good weapon. In my opinion, there arent really that much good magic stuff until the skeletron is defeated.
If you read the wiki, try finding water bolts in the dungeon, or go craft yourself a space gun from meteorites.
For short:
Before skeletron:
Best to use melee or a gem staff.
After skeletron:
Scavenge for water bolts or find some magic based weapons in golden chests or go craft yourself a space gun.

Once hardmode is enabled and activated, if the wall of flesh dropped the laser rifle, use it. In my personal expeience, the best magical weapon that can be obtained easily with relative ease is the magic dagger, a drop from mimics. Try to flatten out a mountain (dont hammer out the backdrops) and consume some battle potions and use water candles to easily spawn the mimics and get the magic dagger (and all their other equally powerful drops). A good endgame magic weapon as of now in my opinion would be the Spectre staff or the leaf blower.
Mate, he has freakin SPECTRE armour. I dont thonk he needs weapons lile those anymore

Erm, did you even read the main post? He was given a spectre armor as a start off, meaning he hasnt even played yet but his son decided to start him off with a spectre armor already.

But that means hes got NOTHIN TO START WITH OTHER THAN THE ARMOR.
What i mean is that i dont get what you even mean. Sure the armor is strong, but if you tell me he could get a magic dagger or a rainbow gun in prehardmode with little experience in the game, im going to laugh.

But that means hes got NOTHIN TO START WITH OTHER THAN THE ARMOR.
What i mean is that i dont get what you even mean. Sure the armor is strong, but if you tell me he could get a magic dagger or a rainbow gun in prehardmode with little experience in the game, im going to laugh.
Use lazer rifle from WOF. Its nice.

Well all was lost as I accidentally erased that saved game. So I started fresh as a melee warrior. Currently I am starting a fresh world to build my base of operations/merchants/storage etc. This time my son again helped with armor which is hallowed set and a set of fire wings since he upgraded to spooky I believe. I asked he not help as much as he did on the prior save so I can learn and farm myself. Once I get a better handle on things I may try and farm stuff for a mage once again but I guess it all depends on the drops I get in the meantime. So far tho this is a fun little game which I am loving.

Don't use hardmode stuff you get if your just starting. It really ruins the experience when you already have practilly have the best gear already (I've beaten a really hard endgame boss with just hallowed armor and Excalibur, but I wont spoil.) It's the last two bosses if your wondering.

Also, don't use the wiki till you prepare to fight the jungle boss. (trying really hard not to spoil too much)

Just start everything new, learn yourself, make mistakes

I will do my best to avoid wiki lol. In games like this it usually turns out that the creating, exploring and collecting aspect appeal to me more than the "I must have the best gear" crap. I really want a cool place to live and have merchants so likely that is where my focus will be for now. My son tends to want me to play with him when I get off work in his worlds and all of those are in hardmode so it is not that easy to avoid the drops when I see a new shiny thing :)

Back
Top Bottom