Items New Wires

drain.

Terrarian
The colors of wires we have are very limited. Is it infuriating that I can't set any of the switches on my teleporter to connect to one place only.

So, I propose to do away with the wrenches (and leave one in) and put in this guy.

Wire.png

Gray Wire
Bought from Mechanic for 6
Silver_Coin.png

Now, what you can do with these is combine 10 of them with a piece of paint, and it'll create a colored version of it. It can only be combined with the stock dyes, though. So, if you put 10 Gray Wire in a Crafting Table with 1 Red Paint, it would make 10 red wires, and so on.

To complement this, wire slots will be put in in between the ammo and money slots.

Last edited:
The colors of wires we have are very limited. Is it infuriating that I can't set any of the switches on my teleporter to connect to one place only.

So, I propose to do away with the wrenches (and leave one in) and put in this guy.

View attachment 15218
Gray Wire
Bought from Mechanic for 6
Silver_Coin.png

Now, what you can do with these is combine 30 of them with a piece of dye, and it'll create a colored version of it. It can only be combined with the stock dyes, though. So, if you put 30 Gray Wire in a Dye Vat with 1 Red Dye, it would make 30 red wires, and so on.

To complement this, wire slots will be put in in between the ammo and money slots.
I'd rather have 1 paint + 1 wire = 1 colored wire. Some dyes are quite hard to come across, and if you want to make a super dart trap minigun you'll need lots of different dyes.
Otherwise I support this.

I'd rather have 1 paint + 1 wire = 1 colored wire. Some dyes are quite hard to come across, and if you want to make a super dart trap minigun you'll need lots of different dyes.

I would actually like this idea more seeing as it would actually give a use for the painter

Id much rather paint wire than having to use valuable dyes. And if did you do say you dont have to use the valuable ones, whats the point?

I would actually like this idea more seeing as it would actually give a use for the painter
Id much rather paint wire than having to use valuable dyes. And if did you do say you dont have to use the valuable ones, whats the point?

Good idea! I have forgotten the fact how rare some dyes are. And paints seem to be less rare and less useful.

Added to the OP.

Good idea! I have forgotten the fact how rare some dyes are. And paints seem to be less rare and less useful.

Added to the OP.
Paint is really cheap (25 copper) compared to wire (5 Silver) and 1 piece of paint seems really little. I originally thought of 2 pieces of paint per wire, but thought 1 piece per wire made more sense. I guess it's a way to save some money, but it's really a disadvantage if you don't want to build a system over 10 wire, especially if it requires more wire colors. That basically means spending half a gold coin if you want to start a new mechanism. This recipe adds more flexibility despite adding 5% more price.
Also change the original buyable wire to Colorless Wire which is craftable into an wire color (including Gray) and which can connect to every dye color.

Just because you never use the painter doesn't make him useless. There are a ton of people who like to build stuff and visit him on a daily basis.

Anyway, I think it's too much of a hassle. Constantly having to paint wire instead of just grabbing my wire and wrenches and get to work, and eventually having unused coloured wire that you don't have a use for.
It's soooo much easier to simply have 2-3 extra wrenches.

Also, extra slots just for wire? Why? Your inventory is big enough. No need for people to look at 4 extra inventory slots they'll never use.

So, in my opinion...
badidea.gif

Actually, I think I got a better idea. The mechanic should sell Gray Wrenches that you can dye using actual dye, no need for more slots or buying more paint. Since there are no gray dyes there should be no conflict. Also, you should be able to craft rainbow wrenches that create color-changing wires, a la Rainbow Bricks, which can connect to every wire color except gray, white and black.

Wait, you could make a super dart trap minigun? This I gotta see.

Use actuators to make darts pass through the other traps, remove the actuators, and add timers that activate the traps separately. Ez.
Thanks. I didn't even think of that, even though I used a similar method for spear traps. I feel kind of stupid right now.

Back
Top Bottom