PC No Audio on Terraria

Mr. M

Terrarian
Hello everyone. I have an issue with Terraria where no audio plays.
I checked my volume settings on Terraria and my music was stuck at 0%. If I tried to turn it up, it will automatically go back down to 0%. My sound is maxed up, but no sound.
This problem doesn't happen to me on different games. (ex. Minecraft plays audio)
People had this issue before, but all the solutions didn't work for me. I uninstalled and reinstalled Terraria, uninstalled and reinstalled my audio drivers, double-checked my audio on my PC(it's functioning well), restarted Terraria, and restarted my PC. None of these helped at all, and I don't know what to do.

Any help will be appreciated. I had to make an account just to address this problem. Thanks.

Let's try two things that you haven't listed. First let's delete the config.json file located in your save directory which is \Documents\My Games\Terraria. Afterwards launch Terraria and see if you have audio.

If not let's reinstall the XNA Framework to verify it's functioning as expected. First uninstall it from the control panel then download and install the one I linked. Afterwards once again launch Terraria and check to see if you have sound.

If neither of those work then I have a few questions:
  1. How long has Terraria not had sound for you?
  2. When you launch Terraria and see that you have no sound does alt-tabbing and playing a youtube video or song have sound?
  3. If you alt tab while Terraria is launched when it doesn't have sound and you go to your sound mixer options does adjusting Terraria.exe's volume slider have any effect?

Let's try two things that you haven't listed. First let's delete the config.json file located in your save directory which is \Documents\My Games\Terraria. Afterwards launch Terraria and see if you have audio.

If not let's reinstall the XNA Framework to verify it's functioning as expected. First uninstall it from the control panel then download and install the one I linked. Afterwards once again launch Terraria and check to see if you have sound.

If neither of those work then I have a few questions:
  1. How long has Terraria not had sound for you?
  2. When you launch Terraria and see that you have no sound does alt-tabbing and playing a youtube video or song have sound?
  3. If you alt tab while Terraria is launched when it doesn't have sound and you go to your sound mixer options does adjusting Terraria.exe's volume slider have any effect?

I'm going to do the 2 things you provided. But before I do, I'll answer the questions.

1. It hasn't had sound ever since I downloaded it.
2. YouTube will have sound still, Terraria will not.
3. If I check the volume mixer, will it come up with its own slider for Terraria? If it does, its not there. If it doesn't, I turned my system volume max and no sound was played.

EDIT: I did both of the things you said and no audio still.

Last edited:
Terraria should have it's own individual slider, every application currently running should have it's own slider. Here is an example on using the sound mixer in Windows 10 from TheWindowsClub.

VolumeMixerWin10.PNG

Does Terraria have it's own slider using this method?

Hello, I have the same problem as Mr. M, but in my case I have volume of sounds and environment, but the music does not, when I try to increase the music it goes back to zero (which seems like a bug), I already tried to make the steps you said and it didn't work. When opening the volume mixer, obviously there is Terraria's, and I can increase or decrease the volume, but there is still no music. I started having this problem after upgrading to version 1.4.1. Please help me, it's too bad to play without music :(

Note: I used Google Translate.

Edit: I formatted my PC, because I thought it might be a problem with DirectX, even though it didn't work, which makes me look like it's a problem in the game.

Last edited:
Hello, I have the same problem as Mr. M, but in my case I have volume of sounds and environment, but the music does not, when I try to increase the music it goes back to zero (which seems like a bug), I already tried to make the steps you said and it didn't work. When opening the volume mixer, obviously there is Terraria's, and I can increase or decrease the volume, but there is still no music. I started having this problem after upgrading to version 1.4.1. Please help me, it's too bad to play without music :(

Note: I used Google Translate.

Edit: I formatted my PC, because I thought it might be a problem with DirectX, even though it didn't work, which makes me look like it's a problem in the game.
Happened the exact same thing with me

I also have the same problem that Marnyco have, I have sound and ambient volume but not music, and the music returns to 0% if I try to increase it. I'm actually in another city visiting my sister while playing in an old laptop, I can still play other games without any issues, but the problem with the music is very annoying

Last edited:
Same problem, music drops to 0% everytime i try to increase it and the other sounds are fine (this is a problem of the game). Hope somebody got a solution bc this sucks.

I had approximately same issue but in my case sound disappeared after I Alt-Tabed Terraria application after pc's sleeping mode.

Back
Top Bottom