Game Mechanics No more Zombies on our Roofs!

Well, I think that this would affect more than what you might think at first glance. I believe there are more positive consequences than you might realize if you only consider, "Oh, I have no problem with zombies on my roofs, so this wouldn't affect me at all."
I thought about this much more than I reasonably should have, and I still can't see any positive effects. All I can see is a minuscule fix, and a lot of negative side effects.
In the next trailer, there will be a segment where they defend a pirate invasion from a large castle. We see pirates struggling to climb the castle walls, with flying parrots being the first to arrive! Eventually, the flying ship arrives, and chaos ensues as pirates start jumping down from the ship.
They are invading. They should reasonably be able to scale a wall. Also, this logically falls apart considering the fact that they have flying ships.
There will also be a segment where they relax by bathing in bubbling bathtubs on a balcony in a large building in the snow biome during hardmode, as no common enemies are able to reach them up there.
As long as the player actually has protections in place, they should be fine without this suggestion.

Conclusion: I feel like you aren't thinking this through enough. Besides the issues with this not really being a needed change, it would also allow for a lot of cheesing, as you could just block enemies from spawning by building a wall, and not even having to worry about it. Enemies randomly attacking you is part of the experience, and one of the reason I love terraria.

I thought about this much more than I reasonably should have, and I still can't see any positive effects. All I can see is a minuscule fix, and a lot of negative side effects.
All the negative effects that you've mentioned that you are concerned about are:
  • This would require a rework of the spawning system, and would lag the game a lot.
  • makes it impossible to do events at your base.
So, let me consider these negative effects with an open mind and ask you more about them, while at the same time sharing our view on them.

Let's begin with "this would require a rework of the spawning system." Why is it that this feature can't be added as an addition to the current spawning system? Why does the current spawning system have to be reworked?

Next, you state that this would "lag the game a lot." What part of this implementation would cause the game to lag, and why? In our view, the most complex part, which is the checker moving, involves just a few calculations for each tile that the checker moves.

You also mentioned that this feature "makes it impossible to do events at our base." Could you please explain how events become impossible with this feature enabled? As I've mentioned before, but you have yet to respond:
Please explain how this makes events impossible inside the castle. All enemies will be able to spawn if you're even remotely close to a place with no player-placed walls (outside the castle). There is no event where there are only walking enemies. You would never experience the lack of an event because you are inside your base.

@Depressed 0wl You can't just state things as facts without providing any reasoning behind them. I am open-minded to there being issues with this feature; after all, I wouldn't want to play the game if this feature was added and any of these statements were true. But from what we understand, there is no reason to believe that any of these statements are true. If you could provide more reasoning, then we will, of course, listen.

Are there any other negative side effects that you are considering? If so, please share them so that we can think about and consider refining the suggestion.

You have also said that this feature would require too much work. But, of course, since you don't see any of the aspects that we have brought up in the post and comments as positive in your view:
then any amount of work done by the developers for a change that, in your view, doesn't provide anything positive would necessarily not be worth it for you.
But I don't find this feedback to be very constructive; it's more like saying, "this isn't necessary."
They are invading. They should reasonably be able to scale a wall. Also, this logically falls apart considering the fact that they have flying ships.
I'm not against, let's say, giving pirates the ability to climb walls slowly. But having them just magically appear on our roofs isn't fun for us.

Not all pirates have flying ships! Only the ones onboard the Flying Dutchman should be able to jump down on our roofs. In my opinion, this would make the event more interesting for wall-defended castles.
As long as the player actually has protections in place, they should be fine without this suggestion.
Yeah, as long as they have protections, meaning they have to either place walls everywhere or have an enclosed balcony.
Conclusion: I feel like you aren't thinking this through enough. Besides the issues with this not really being a needed change, it would also allow for a lot of cheesing, as you could just block enemies from spawning by building a wall, and not even having to worry about it. Enemies randomly attacking you is part of the experience, and one of the reason I love terraria.
This suggestion has been the focus of our work for the last 20 days, but we will keep thinking about it...

Allowing for a lot of cheesing? This is the least cheesy tactic for defense that one can possibly imagine! While you could just build a big hole and wait for enemies to fall into it or build player-placed safe walls everywhere to stop just about any enemy, building a huge castle with walls around it that protects the inhabitants exclusively from walking monsters – now that is just OP...

The enemies in Terraria will not become less hostile with this feature, I assure you.

All the negative effects that you've mentioned that you are concerned about are:

So, let me consider these negative effects with an open mind and ask you more about them, while at the same time sharing our view on them.

Let's begin with "this would require a rework of the spawning system." Why is it that this feature can't be added as an addition to the current spawning system? Why does the current spawning system have to be reworked?

Next, you state that this would "lag the game a lot." What part of this implementation would cause the game to lag, and why? In our view, the most complex part, which is the checker moving, involves just a few calculations for each tile that the checker moves.

You also mentioned that this feature "makes it impossible to do events at our base." Could you please explain how events become impossible with this feature enabled? As I've mentioned before, but you have yet to respond:

@Depressed 0wl You can't just state things as facts without providing any reasoning behind them. I am open-minded to there being issues with this feature; after all, I wouldn't want to play the game if this feature was added and any of these statements were true. But from what we understand, there is no reason to believe that any of these statements are true. If you could provide more reasoning, then we will, of course, listen.

Are there any other negative side effects that you are considering? If so, please share them so that we can think about and consider refining the suggestion.

You have also said that this feature would require too much work. But, of course, since you don't see any of the aspects that we have brought up in the post and comments as positive in your view:

But I don't find this feedback to be very constructive; it's more like saying, "this isn't necessary."

I'm not against, let's say, giving pirates the ability to climb walls slowly. But having them just magically appear on our roofs isn't fun for us.

Not all pirates have flying ships! Only the ones onboard the Flying Dutchman should be able to jump down on our roofs. In my opinion, this would make the event more interesting for wall-defended castles.

Yeah, as long as they have protections, meaning they have to either place walls everywhere or have an enclosed balcony.

This suggestion has been the focus of our work for the last 20 days, but we will keep thinking about it...

Allowing for a lot of cheesing? This is the least cheesy tactic for defense that one can possibly imagine! While you could just build a big hole and wait for enemies to fall into it or build player-placed safe walls everywhere to stop just about any enemy, building a huge castle with walls around it that protects the inhabitants exclusively from walking monsters – now that is just OP...

The enemies in Terraria will not become less hostile with this feature, I assure you.
This is absolutely unnecessary!
Nobody but you seems to have a problem with this, and there are obvious flaws.
What if i want to do an event on my arena? Or in the sky away from my squishy NPCs? Noooope
You must do it on the ground, where your npcs are located.

Terraria spawn would be a very simple game, and the code for spawning and AI is a spaghetti mess of code. It would be Nigh-impossible to implement

Nobody but you seems to have a problem with this, and there are obvious flaws.
I appreciate your perspective, but it seems there have been instances where players were bothered by enemies in their builds, as I've pointed out with examples. It's important to consider various experiences and viewpoints when discussing these matters.
What if i want to do an event on my arena? Or in the sky away from my squishy NPCs? Noooope
You must do it on the ground, where your npcs are located.
As mentioned earlier, having walking enemies not spawn on platforms high in the sky wouldn't make any event impossible as there are enemies in all events that are non-walking. If you prefer every event monsters to spawn as usual, a simple dirt wall could be placed. We appreciate your input and welcome any further suggestions or questions you might have.
Terraria spawn would be a very simple game, and the code for spawning and AI is a spaghetti mess of code. It would be Nigh-impossible to implement
We are not suggesting rewriting anything major in the existing spawning code or rewriting anything in the AI code. Why would this be impossible to implement?

This is absolutely unnecessary!
@Eye-o'-Cthulhu🌳🎃 Your input is valuable to us, and we believe that criticism, when offered constructively, can truly aid in our improvement. We kindly request that you take a moment to understand the suggestion before offering feedback; this way, we can work together to address any concerns effectively. If there are aspects of the suggestion that are unclear, we encourage you to ask questions. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

I appreciate your perspective, but it seems there have been instances where players were bothered by enemies in their builds, as I've pointed out with examples. It's important to consider various experiences and viewpoints when discussing these matters.

As mentioned earlier, having walking enemies not spawn on platforms high in the sky wouldn't make any event impossible as there are enemies in all events that are non-walking. If you prefer every event monsters to spawn as usual, a simple dirt wall could be placed. We appreciate your input and welcome any further suggestions or questions you might have.

We are not suggesting rewriting anything major in the existing spawning code or rewriting anything in the AI code. Why would this be impossible to implement?

@Eye-o'-Cthulhu🌳🎃 Your input is valuable to us, and we believe that criticism, when offered constructively, can truly aid in our improvement. We kindly request that you take a moment to understand the suggestion before offering feedback; this way, we can work together to address any concerns effectively. If there are aspects of the suggestion that are unclear, we encourage you to ask questions. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.
I just don't think this would improve much for many people, it seems targeted towards Builders.

Its like the Devs said, "high effort for low results."

Terraria is a game about Combat. If you don't want Mobs spawning on your roof, Play journey mode. It is quite literally a mode for building.

It would also make most farms useless and most caves invalid. I actually want enemies spawning on my arenas and raided areas, so i don't have to deal with the terrain

That was pre-rework of this suggestion. Rn, it would probably work.
Again, pre-rework. Back then you had mobs run a ton of checks to see if they could spawn there.
If you have any sort of walls, enemies can't get in. It was also explained by other people, so I didn't see a need to repeat it.
Again, explained by other people. Also not listening to criticism that isn't an essay going in depth about the entire thing is ridiculous. You should logically be able to figure it out, without much thought.
Again, pre-rework. Even then, it's too much work for a change that doesn't bring much positive stuff to the game.
Not all feedback has to be constructive.
I'm not against, let's say, giving pirates the ability to climb walls slowly.
Then that's the same as them just spawning there.
But having them just magically appear on our roofs isn't fun for us.
How are pirates magically appearing from the roof? They could secretly have a rocketship.
Again, secret flying rocketship.
You are literally in a wild area. You should have protections.
With this suggestion, you could just build a box in the sky, and be invulnerable. WIth other things,
I was not saying that they would be less hostile at all. I was saying I enjoy the thrill of being attacked by enemies, and killed. It is very satisfying.

If you build a huge castle, your npcs are pretty safe from walking enemies already. If you don't have any platforms on your roof for them to drop down into your base, they can't get inside except through the front door. The only times your idea would prevent walking enemies getting into your base are if you have balconies (or similar constructions) that don't have background walls, or if you have platforms on your roof that an enemy could spawn on top of and drop down into your base. Those really aren't that common of scenarios to warrant such a significant change to the spawning algorithm.
Preventing walking enemies from spawning on a floating structure would imo do more harm than good. Somewhat commonly I build an area in the sky to spawn enemies, especially for biomes my world lacks (e.g. corrupt or hallowed desert, opposite evil), and I'm sure this isn't too uncommon of a tactic. Your proposed change would make this strategy not work the way that players would expect it to, as most enemy types just would not spawn there (no, placing a dirt wall to re-enable normal spawns is not a good workaround, since not a single player would ever think to do this without reading the wiki/patch notes). Sure, I've been annoyed by enemies spawning in my boss arena before, but I think a change where enemy spawns become entirely disabled in boss fights (similar to how calamity does it) would be more effective than something like this at alleviating this frustration, while being easier to implement.

Don't you think that building a base defended by walls, only to discover that walking enemies take advantage of it, can be seen as unfair? Or that building an arena above ground to deal with the Eye of Cthulhu or any boss, only to find out that it will be filled by walking enemies anyway, is unsatisfying? Doesn't anyone complain about walking enemies on roofs, as they intrude everywhere, being annoying? what about this recent post?
That post has nothing to do with the checker nor would it even fit under what you're trying to change. You're very over exaggerating the arena thing, when a boss is spawned especially Eye of Cthulhu that spawns more minions most of the other spawnrates are taken up. In fact, you can completely take up spawns with just Eye of Cthulhu. A common strat is to summon the Eye then make it summon its minions then go into the dungeon pre-Skeletron and looting it since Dungeon Guardian cannot spawn. Most bosses summon minions that take up the spawn cap, so you're arena is never "flooded"

We've been playing in 2011, but we haven't given it much thought either, or at least we haven't had much of an idea about how we think the situation can improve, until recently when we tried harder difficulties such as master mode and mediumcore, and slowed down progression.

Well, I think that this would affect more than what you might think at first glance. I believe there are more positive consequences than you might realize if you only consider, "Oh, I have no problem with zombies on my roofs, so this wouldn't affect me at all."
I have only been playing on the hardest difficulty given to Terraria, once Expert mode drop I switched exclusively to that, once Master dropped I switched exclusively to that. Only reason I don't play on Legendary is because it's more of a troll seed and not really fit for casual playthroughs. Factoring all of these in I can really say on higher difficulties it doesn't change anything. The reason I am not considering it is because I simply wouldn't even consider if they didn't. If this update dropped with no patch notes and I did a playthrough I would notice nothing. This change doesn't impact the game enough for me to care about it this deeply.

I just don't think this would improve much for many people, it seems targeted towards Builders.
It is targeted towards builders, but every Terraria player builds something. ;) whether it be just one hotel or arena. But even if you build nothing, this could affect the roof of the dungeon, for example.
Which Terraria game developer has commented on this, saying "high effort for low result"?
Terraria is a game about Combat. If you don't want Mobs spawning on your roof, Play journey mode. It is quite literally a mode for building.
We want mobs to spawn on our roofs, just not walking mobs. I believe this feature would enhance the combat mechanics of the game and add another element for defensive structures.

This feature is not meant to make building easier, allowing you to avoid worrying about enemies. Instead, it is intended to reward various types of defensive buildings, etc.
It would also make most farms useless and most caves invalid. I actually want enemies spawning on my arenas and raided areas, so i don't have to deal with the terrain
Please don't spread misinformation, as there is already plenty of it in the comments of this thread. This feature would not render any farms useless or make any caves invalid. You can just as easily have every enemy spawning in every arena.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask about them. We can discuss and address your concerns effectively. Please do not spread misinformation.
If you build a huge castle, your npcs are pretty safe from walking enemies already. If you don't have any platforms on your roof for them to drop down into your base, they can't get inside except through the front door. The only times your idea would prevent walking enemies getting into your base are if you have balconies (or similar constructions) that don't have background walls, or if you have platforms on your roof that an enemy could spawn on top of and drop down into your base. Those really aren't that common of scenarios to warrant such a significant change to the spawning algorithm.
Preventing walking enemies from spawning on a floating structure would imo do more harm than good. Somewhat commonly I build an area in the sky to spawn enemies, especially for biomes my world lacks (e.g. corrupt or hallowed desert, opposite evil), and I'm sure this isn't too uncommon of a tactic. Your proposed change would make this strategy not work the way that players would expect it to, as most enemy types just would not spawn there (no, placing a dirt wall to re-enable normal spawns is not a good workaround, since not a single player would ever think to do this without reading the wiki/patch notes). Sure, I've been annoyed by enemies spawning in my boss arena before, but I think a change where enemy spawns become entirely disabled in boss fights (similar to how calamity does it) would be more effective than something like this at alleviating this frustration, while being easier to implement.
Having balconies wouldn't be the 'only times this feature would prevent walking enemies from getting into our base.' Just to give another example: during a goblin invasion, having peons spawn on every roof makes them reach the front doors much faster than if no peons would spawn on the roofs. Although this would be a nice consequence of this feature, making it easier to guard NPCs isn't the main focus; there are plenty of other aspects to consider. Saying that these scenarios don't warrant implementing this feature isn't fair, as there are so many other situations that this feature addresses. Additionally, this wouldn't change the current spawning algorithm; it would be an addition outside of the current spawning system.

So you are saying that people will look up how to build artificial biomes in the sky, placing thousands of sand blocks, but placing one dirt wall would jsut be too much?

You bring up an interesting suggestion here to disable normal enemies from spawning during a boss battle. While this would remove the frustration of walking mobs spawning on the arena during the boss battle, it would also prevent the spawning of flying enemies. Additionally, zombies that are already on the arena before spawning Skeletron would still be an issue, for example. This suggestion would also not address any of the other aspects that we want to tackle with this suggestion. For example, wall-defended castles would still face the same problems.
That post has nothing to do with the checker nor would it even fit under what you're trying to change.
Sure, it would be fitting, as this problem wouldn't arise with this feature implemented.
You're very over exaggerating the arena thing, when a boss is spawned especially Eye of Cthulhu that spawns more minions most of the other spawnrates are taken up. In fact, you can completely take up spawns with just Eye of Cthulhu. A common strat is to summon the Eye then make it summon its minions then go into the dungeon pre-Skeletron and looting it since Dungeon Guardian cannot spawn. Most bosses summon minions that take up the spawn cap, so you're arena is never "flooded"
You can't just say, 'Oh, everyone is ignoring the eyes that EoC spawns, and therefore they use the eyes to their advantage as no other enemies can spawn,' and claim there is over-exaggerating here, especially when examples have been given.

Outside of the discussion of this feature: This dungeon strategy seems really dangerous, especially if you are playing mediumcore or hardcore.
I have only been playing on the hardest difficulty given to Terraria, once Expert mode drop I switched exclusively to that, once Master dropped I switched exclusively to that. Only reason I don't play on Legendary is because it's more of a troll seed and not really fit for casual playthroughs. Factoring all of these in I can really say on higher difficulties it doesn't change anything. The reason I am not considering it is because I simply wouldn't even consider if they didn't. If this update dropped with no patch notes and I did a playthrough I would notice nothing. This change doesn't impact the game enough for me to care about it this deeply.
Well, dying on any difficulty isn't really annoying for anyone who plays softcore, as there are essentially no consequences to dying in softcore mode. However, when playing on mediumcore and hardcore, dying in unfair and unsatisfying ways is more concerning for the gameplay experience.

That is completely fine; I release you from considering this more deeply! :D I appreciate all the thoughts and constructive criticism you have given.

You can't just say, 'Oh, everyone is ignoring the eyes that EoC spawns, and therefore they use the eyes to their advantage as no other enemies can spawn,' and claim there is over-exaggerating here, especially when examples have been given.
You claim that people worry about their arenas being "flooded" my rebuttal is that your arena isn't flooded due to bosses as well as their minions taking up most if not all of the available spawns. There is an NPC cap for Terraria. So if you hit that cap no more NPCs can spawn. So the issue with arenas being flooded with mobs is that it just doesn't happen during boss fights. At least not enough to where it ever really matters and would call this change. I gave the dungeon example to hopefully add onto it and make it a bit easier to understand, if you wish to see the dungeon example in action I could link it. The point of the dungeon example as well as it removes all of the danger because no mobs can spawn in the dungeon anymore. Similar to your arena, if a boss were to spawn then there wouldn't be any danger besides the boss.

It is targeted towards builders, but every Terraria player builds something. ;) whether it be just one hotel or arena. But even if you build nothing, this could affect the roof of the dungeon, for example.
Ok...
Which Terraria game developer has commented on this, saying "high effort for low result"?
Not on this thread, but they have talked about it sone before
We want mobs to spawn on our roofs, just not walking mobs. I believe this feature would enhance the combat mechanics of the game and add another element for defensive structures.

This feature is not meant to make building easier, allowing you to avoid worrying about enemies. Instead, it is intended to reward various types of defensive buildings, etc.
I understand that, but if NPCs already stop mob spawns, then why overcomplicate things more than they have to be?
Please don't spread misinformation, as there is already plenty of it in the comments of this thread. This feature would not render any farms useless or make any caves invalid. You can just as easily have every enemy spawning in every arena.
Arenas and farms are often floating platforms.
Therefore, by your system, they wouldn't be able to spawn.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask about them. We can discuss and address your concerns effectively. Please do not spread misinformation.
Nobody but you seems to be having this problem.
And you simply need just about any weapon to get the zombies off your roof.
At the point that you're building massive castles and defenses, i highly doubt anyone will be having a problem with walking enemies spawning where they shouldn't.

The destroyer can literally dig through air. So let's just stop that, too, because he shouldn't be able to do that.

I do like this idea and it’s been in the back of my head for a while. I hope something like it gets implemented. Town NPCs and peace candles already slow down spawns if that helps at all.
Glad to hear you liked the idea! Peace candles and towns are certainly helpful in many situations!
You claim that people worry about their arenas being "flooded" my rebuttal is that your arena isn't flooded due to bosses as well as their minions taking up most if not all of the available spawns. There is an NPC cap for Terraria. So if you hit that cap no more NPCs can spawn. So the issue with arenas being flooded with mobs is that it just doesn't happen during boss fights. At least not enough to where it ever really matters and would call this change. I gave the dungeon example to hopefully add onto it and make it a bit easier to understand, if you wish to see the dungeon example in action I could link it. The point of the dungeon example as well as it removes all of the danger because no mobs can spawn in the dungeon anymore. Similar to your arena, if a boss were to spawn then there wouldn't be any danger besides the boss.
There are certainly people who are annoyed by walking enemies in arenas, whether it be during boss fights or events. You are right that many bosses spawn minions, thereby reducing the spawn rate of these walking enemies. However, it still happens during boss fights, especially in battles where the boss isn't spawning any minions.

But this is only one aspect of this feature, and the effects are far more prevalent during events rather than boss fights. So I don't understand what you mean by this wouldn't "call this change"?

I would love to see that dungeon example as it seems interesting... :D
Rarely do I have any problems with mother:red:ing mobs on my base roof. It’s not really even a :red:ing problem for me tbh. I can of course set up defenses that keeps the :red:ing zombies away.
Okay, good for you? Would there be nothing positive about not having any zombies or possessed armors spawning on your roofs in your opinion? Not even a cozier feeling of knowing that you don't have to worry about these monsters jumping down on you?
Not on this thread, but they have talked about it sone before
Okay, so what does that have to do with this thread? Of course, no one wants the developers to work on a feature that would require more effort but yield less results compared to a feature that would require less effort and be more appreciated.
I understand that, but if NPCs already stop mob spawns, then why overcomplicate things more than they have to be?
What can be made less complicated with this feature? If you have any suggestion that would be less comlicated while yeald the same satisfying reslult, then please share it.

I think you are referring to towns that have 3 or more NPCs. Yes, in classic mode, spawns stop when there is no event. However, in higher difficulties and during events, enemies spawn. Also, towns are not the only thing we want to address with this feature.
Arenas and farms are often floating platforms.
Therefore, by your system, they wouldn't be able to spawn.
If you are concerned about missing out on the walking enemies, just place a dirt wall.
Nobody but you seems to be having this problem.
What "problem" are you thinking about? This feature addresses many things, and there are many who have problems and annoyances that would be fixed by this feature.
And you simply need just about any weapon to get the zombies off your roof.
Sure, but this kind of misses the point. This feature would affect many more enemies than just zombies and many more situations than a zombie being on the roof.
At the point that you're building massive castles and defenses, i highly doubt anyone will be having a problem with walking enemies spawning where they shouldn't.
Of course, this feature isn't meant to make progressing in the game easier; it is meant to enhance the gameplay experience by reducing instances of unfair and unsatisfying moments and leveling the playing ground for defensive structure tactics.
The destroyer can literally dig through air. So let's just stop that, too, because he shouldn't be able to do that.
I feel like this comment wasn't called for. We are not suggesting adding realism for the sake of adding realism. Besides, this feature wouldn't be very realistic, even if you could argue that it would be more realistic than how it is now.

I do agree, but try wording it in a less passive aggressive way. I’m pretty sure you didn’t mean it but, trying extra hard to be nice is in the rules. :)

Glad to hear you liked the idea! Peace candles and towns are certainly helpful in many situations!

There are certainly people who are annoyed by walking enemies in arenas, whether it be during boss fights or events. You are right that many bosses spawn minions, thereby reducing the spawn rate of these walking enemies. However, it still happens during boss fights, especially in battles where the boss isn't spawning any minions.

But this is only one aspect of this feature, and the effects are far more prevalent during events rather than boss fights. So I don't understand what you mean by this wouldn't "call this change"?

I would love to see that dungeon example as it seems interesting... :D

Okay, good for you? Would there be nothing positive about not having any zombies or possessed armors spawning on your roofs in your opinion? Not even a cozier feeling of knowing that you don't have to worry about these monsters jumping down on you?

Okay, so what does that have to do with this thread? Of course, no one wants the developers to work on a feature that would require more effort but yield less results compared to a feature that would require less effort and be more appreciated.

What can be made less complicated with this feature? If you have any suggestion that would be less comlicated while yeald the same satisfying reslult, then please share it.

I think you are referring to towns that have 3 or more NPCs. Yes, in classic mode, spawns stop when there is no event. However, in higher difficulties and during events, enemies spawn. Also, towns are not the only thing we want to address with this feature.

If you are concerned about missing out on the walking enemies, just place a dirt wall.

What "problem" are you thinking about? This feature addresses many things, and there are many who have problems and annoyances that would be fixed by this feature.

Sure, but this kind of misses the point. This feature would affect many more enemies than just zombies and many more situations than a zombie being on the roof.

Of course, this feature isn't meant to make progressing in the game easier; it is meant to enhance the gameplay experience by reducing instances of unfair and unsatisfying moments and leveling the playing ground for defensive structure tactics.

I feel like this comment wasn't called for. We are not suggesting adding realism for the sake of adding realism. Besides, this feature wouldn't be very realistic, even if you could argue that it would be more realistic than how it is now.
You’re really want this change aren’t you? What is the main reason tho?

Hi all, having gone through the entire thread, I wanted to offer a few thoughts from a rules guideline. Let's look over the Criticism Guidelines from the Game Suggestions rules.

Don't Take Suggestions Too Seriously - This goes both for the thread creator as well as for the members replying though - most suggestions won't ever be implemented and the suggestions section is more for "what if" thought experiments and entertainment. From my point of view, no one has crossed the line to being personally disrespectful, but it feels like the snowball could head that way, so let's park the snowball before it happens.

Members Don't Decide What is Unnecessary - If it's your opinion that the suggestion isn't needed in the game, that's fine. There's no reason to continue discussing a suggestion that you feel isn't needed though. As the rules say, "The developers are smart enough to make the distinction between what does and does not belong in Terraria. In addition, posting in the threads of unsalvageable suggestions accomplishes nothing more than keeping the thread active and drawing more attention to it."

Many of you have already shared your opinion and have left the discussion, and that is also fine. Members aren't obligated to have to reply to the suggestion maker's follow up points. For those that are still sticking around even though you feel the suggestion isn't necessary, I invite you to move on to something else.

Constructive Criticism Requires Reasons - From my point of view, most members have offered constructive criticism. There are a few that haven't, and some that have done so inelegantly. If you like the suggestion, and think it could be made better, please offer your constructive criticism. But again, if you are here trying to convince the suggestion creator that their idea isn't needed, that isn't constructive criticism.

If You Have Nothing Nice to Say, Don't Say Anything At All - I can't say it better than the rules. "If the intention is not to contribute to an idea in any sort of positive fashion, then simply do not post at all."

I do agree
What part of the comment by @Eye-o'-Cthulhu🌳🎃 do you agree with? I don't want to repeat myself as I responded to that comment, but the devs haven't actually commented on this thread. This feature is not meant to make building easier, as it is in Journey Mode. Neither is it true that it would render any farms useless or any caves invalid. You can have any mobs spawn in any arena just as easily. So what @Eye-o'-Cthulhu🌳🎃 is doing is spreading misinformation, and that is not helpful for anyone, nor is it helpful for addressing any concerns efficiently.
You’re really want this change aren’t you? What is the main reason tho?
If we could only state one reason, the biggest one for us would be that our castle would actually become a reasonable defensive structure, making it enjoyable to defend against any event from inside. This would prevent walking mobs from constantly taking advantage of our roofs and dropping down from everywhere. :)
I’m not trying to be mean it’s just that I’m always used to how everything is currently in Terraria, and I’m sorry for my use of graphic language.
What change are you concerned about that you are currently used to?

What part of the comment by @Eye-o'-Cthulhu🌳🎃 do you agree with? I don't want to repeat myself as I responded to that comment, but the devs haven't actually commented on this thread. This feature is not meant to make building easier, as it is in Journey Mode. Neither is it true that it would render any farms useless or any caves invalid. You can have any mobs spawn in any arena just as easily. So what @Eye-o'-Cthulhu🌳🎃 is doing is spreading misinformation, and that is not helpful for anyone, nor is it helpful for addressing any concerns efficiently.

If we could only state one reason, the biggest one for us would be that our castle would actually become a reasonable defensive structure, making it enjoyable to defend against any event from inside. This would prevent walking mobs from constantly taking advantage of our roofs and dropping down from everywhere. :)

About the way that the hostile NPCs including the Wraith spawn near the base especially in hardmode, it adds challenge, plus it’s been a thing since update version 1.1.

I AM NOT SPREADING MISINFORMATION!!
WHERE DID I SAY THAT THE DEVS COMMENTED ON THIS? NEVER!

Back
Top Bottom