**REPORTED** NPCs committing suicide by drowning himself.

JekoRhino

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I have build a Underground Town under my Spawn Town for NPCs that Like the Underground
with a Room for the Goblin Thinkerer NPC.

I was away at the Ocean and suddenly he was Slain...
After respawning he was slain again, and again, and again...

It was weird to me that he would die all of the sudden
without any information as to why.

He seems to be unable to jump up 3 Blocks.
I tested it with the Demolisher and he did the same.

They don't really care about the water just walk to the right and fall down.
Sometimes they walk to the right without drowning but they will die when nighttime hits
while trying to going back to there Room/House.

I don't know if this intended behaviour or not because they seem to stay
away from dangerous Terrain, like the Hellevator shaft on the right.

Here is a Picture of my Underground Town with the Goblin Thinkerer drowning:
Goblin Thinkerer Killing himself.png

NPCs can normally jump up 3 block high walls. The Goblin Tinkerer is getting stuck there because he has his head up against the block and nothing else. As far as I'm aware, this is unintended behavior, and they're investigating it.

What's unintended is that there are NPCs getting stuck on some sloped tiles that they could normally walk out of. But if he can't jump out of the water at all, there isn't much that can be done there.

What's unintended is that there are NPCs getting stuck on some sloped tiles that they could normally walk out of. But if he can't jump out of the water at all, there isn't much that can be done there.
Yes but that water is just 3 Blocks high. A normal Charakter without why Accessorise can jump 6 blocks.
Even if it's the case, that NPCs can't jump/jump higher than 2 Blocks, there should be something preventing them from jumping down
somewhere they can't get out of like the Hellevator on the right.

That was the reason why I posted this. Because I remember NPCs beeing able to jump 6 Blocks but it seems that was changed but
the Logic for there path finding wasn't updated to the new Jump hight.

In the picture, the Goblin Tinkerer isn't on a sloped block. That's a completely different bug from what is happening here. Here, the Goblin Tinkerer has his head up to a block and nothing else, and for some reason, when this happens in 1.4, the NPC just gets stuck facing the wall and can't turn around or move easily without the player intervening.

Town NPCs have a shorter jump than most everything else. Water has greater resistance than air. (Not sure if that applies to Town NPCs, but maybe) Ever try jumping in water? (IRL and in-game) It doesn't work real well. In water, the player jumps only about half as high as jumping through air. This may prevent an NPC from jumping 3 blocks.

Town NPCs can jump up a wall that's 3 blocks high, anything higher and they turn around instead. However, I'm pretty sure they can still jump 3 blocks high, even when submerged in water.

Just tested it, NPCs can jump 3 blocks in water. So it's definitely the block on the Goblin Tinkerer's head that's causing him to get stuck.

I'm having the same issue with the dryad to the point where I've had to lock her in.

She walks out of her house and up the hill just to stand in the water and drown. I can't see any reason why she should not be able to get out of that water. She doesn't make any attempt to either, just stands there until the message pops up that she was slain.

Capture 2020-06-02 21_19_12.png

However town NPCs actually really love to drown now for some reason. they usually not spawn in their houses (that has usually the case before too though) but they don't usually teleport now, but try to reach their house by walking.

Same happens when you reassign them. they usually try to reach the new home by walking. they take no fall dmg. but they tend to stuck at places, and they also will mindlessly walk into lakes and drown.

Goblin army can make this even worse, because peons dismantle doors, so the housing stops being a housing, so NPCs try to move somewhere else, might ending up in a lake that time (if not killed by goblins) and if they decided to teleport away (which they do when player's offscreen/night, but it doesn't seems they do that every time the player is offscreen/it's night, just sometimes.) then they might end up in a lake on the way back, when you reassign them to their old house, once you put the doors back.

Also, I think I read somewhere they can drown in 2 blocks high water too, while the player character needs 3 or more blocks high water.
It was definitely the case before, I remember in one playthrough, the truffle drowned standing in a 2 blocks high pond while I tried to buy stuff from him and autopsuse was on (that really surprised me how could he drown when the game was paused? but that was prior to 1.4. such things might not happen now. I didn't tested it though),
don't know if it's been changed, but that probably also doesn't helps town NPCs, that they might can drown in a teaspoon of water.

Also, when NPCs try to reach their new home, they don't keep walking until their reach their new home (which is not even possible 99% of the times, because there's whatever obstackle in the way) but occassionally stop. it can be they would stop in water, and drown?
They also occassionally stop like normal when walking around their house, but, seems they would do that in water too?
Do they not consider water a danger? they absolutely freak out even from a green slime, but they tend to nonchalantly walk into water.

She walks out of her house and up the hill just to stand in the water and drown. I can't see any reason why she should not be able to get out of that water. She doesn't make any attempt to either, just stands there until the message pops up that she was slain.

As stated, there is literally a bug with NPC AI where they are getting stuck on certain block shapes in water. Its a known bug that we will fix as time allows.

As stated, there is literally a bug with NPC AI where they are getting stuck on certain block shapes in water. Its a known bug that we will fix as time allows.
I thought you meant only sloped Blocks(half Blocks, Ramps etc.).
In my setup there are only full Blocks. Maybe others got confused too.

Good luck squashing them bugs!

Back
Top Bottom