Game Mechanics NPCs must always leave their graves in death

Guest735

Terrarian
Currently apparently only with a hardcore character the npcs drop graves in their deaths, but i think it should be like that with the other types of main characters too, i think it's kind of wrong for the game to force the main character to die so that he gains something (graveyard mini biome).

Currently apparently only with a hardcore character the npcs drop graves in their deaths, but i think it should be like that with the other types of main characters too, i think it's kind of wrong for the game to force the main character to die so that he gains something (graveyard mini biome).
Also kind of because of mediumcore characters as well...

I disagree with this, mainly because all graves spawn ghosts when broken, including those dropped by NPCs. If what you're wanting comes true, then the player has to mine a grave and fight an annoying ghost every single time an NPC dies. Since you can lose a lot of NPCs from a bad invasion or boss battle, this will become very annoying. Even if the player doesn't care about their town's looks, or doesn't want to fight ghosts, ignoring the graves will eventually turn their town into a graveyard once enough die, forcing them to fight ghosts anyway.

While not having to die to create a graveyard in softcore/mediumcore would be nice, the change you're suggesting would anger the majority of players who don't care about creating a graveyard biome. Now, you're probably wondering "what if NPC graves didn't spawn ghosts?" Well, the trouble is that this is how graves are coded in Terraria. Graves function like signs - the only thing they track is what is written on them, which defaults to the death message. Making graves track who died adds requires entirely new code, since nothing else does this.

As for "forcing" the player to die, I'm pretty sure most people who choose softcore/mediumcore are okay with dying in the first place.

Also kind of because of mediumcore characters as well...

This isn't a huge issue for mediumcore characters. They way they handle graveyard building is like softcore characters with an extra step.
If you want to farm gravestones, just put your money (softcore) and inventory (mediumcore) inside a chest and then kill your character.

I disagree with this, mainly because all graves spawn ghosts when broken, including those dropped by NPCs. If what you're wanting comes true, then the player has to mine a grave and fight an annoying ghost every single time an NPC dies. Since you can lose a lot of NPCs from a bad invasion or boss battle, this will become very annoying. Even if the player doesn't care about their town's looks, or doesn't want to fight ghosts, ignoring the graves will eventually turn their town into a graveyard once enough die, forcing them to fight ghosts anyway.

While not having to die to create a graveyard in softcore/mediumcore would be nice, the change you're suggesting would anger the majority of players who don't care about creating a graveyard biome. Now, you're probably wondering "what if NPC graves didn't spawn ghosts?" Well, the trouble is that this is how graves are coded in Terraria. Graves function like signs - the only thing they track is what is written on them, which defaults to the death message. Making graves track who died adds requires entirely new code, since nothing else does this.

As for "forcing" the player to die, I'm pretty sure most people who choose softcore/mediumcore are okay with dying in the first place.

This isn't a huge issue for mediumcore characters. They way they handle graveyard building is like softcore characters with an extra step.
If you want to farm gravestones, just put your money (softcore) and inventory (mediumcore) inside a chest and then kill your character.
You have a good point, with that all the only way out would be not to appear ghosts, i think i would have no problems with them, just leave the game and go back to them to disappear if you are not strong to defeat them, but not everyone plays like this.

Since you can lose a lot of NPCs from a bad invasion or boss battle
But thinking otherwise, it would be a good punishment for the player for letting the npcs die, the game already works like this, if you kill an npc, your luck of the game decreases for some time, if an npc dies depending on the case, the pylon stop working and more things.
Maybe this could be decided by the level of difficulty (master mode).

I'm not okay with dying to get it. My last game I had to kill myself 4 times and this new one is looking like six. I take pride in having low death counts. I feel there should be some alternative of some kind.
That's exactly what i think.

NPCs are awfully fragile, and this would turn your town into a literal ghost town after an unlucky invasion or such. So this would be bad, IMO.

While players usually die a bunch, it might would be nice to have alt. ways of obtaining gravestones though, indeed. I thought about making a gravedigger NPC for example, who sells gravestones (among other things).

Alternatively, if you want NPCs to make gravestones available upon their death, they could drop a gravestone like an item you can pick up, instead of placing a gravestone somewhere, so it won't actually turn the place into a graveyard, not you have to deal with ghosts when mining those gravestones.

NPCs are awfully fragile, and this would turn your town into a literal ghost town after an unlucky invasion or such. So this would be bad, IMO.
Talking like that it seems like a fun punishment, I wish it were like that. :)
Hmm, this must already be like this in hardcore.

While players usually die a bunch, it might would be nice to have alt. ways of obtaining gravestones though, indeed. I thought about making a gravedigger NPC for example, who sells gravestones (among other things).
Maybe it would be a lot to do in a game that is already in its latest updates.

Alternatively, if you want NPCs to make gravestones available upon their death, they could drop a gravestone like an item you can pick up, instead of placing a gravestone somewhere, so it won't actually turn the place into a graveyard, not you have to deal with ghosts when mining those gravestones.
Good idea, but that would take away the tombstone's permanence in the world, with this rule if the player doesn't see the tombstone in the form of an item he can leave the game and lose the tombstone, since when we leave the game the items disappear.

Last edited:
I don't mean the gravedigger as a vanilla NPC, I mean like a modded one.
I don't think such would get added to vanilla. Although it would be cool.

You have a point those wouldn't be permanent, but that goes for other drops too, you can really lose a bunch of items lying on the ground, if you exit the game, or the game crashes or anything.
But this goes for all items on the ground. including very annoying cases, like goblins ruining your town because dismathing most of the doors.
And I don't even really wanna think about the troubles of mediumcore characters... that must be horrible.
But, so, this is something that goes for all items lying on the ground.

By the way, I remember there is a sort of enemy in a mod like "walking tombstone" which are some beetle/crab/whatever like nocturnal enemies appearing rarely, carrying a random tombstone on their back. when you kill them, they drop the tombstone as an item, you can place. that sort of thing could also work when you want to aquire tombstones without anyone dying (not counting the enemy that drops it)

An NPC selling them though would allow you to buy variants that look the way you want, which is nice, when you're a builder, I think.

You have a good point, with that all the only way out would be not to appear ghosts, i think i would have no problems with them, just leave the game and go back to them to disappear if you are not strong to defeat them, but not everyone plays like this.
I'm not okay with dying to get it. My last game I had to kill myself 4 times and this new one is looking like six. I take pride in having low death counts. I feel there should be some alternative of some kind.
That's exactly what i think.
Wait, so you're not okay with dying, but you're okay with cheesing the game by leaving the world to despawn enemies? This seems a little strange to me. If leaving the game to despawn enemies is within your personal set of rules, I don't see why purposely killing yourself for tombstones shouldn't. Just don't "count" these deaths on your record. It's not like the game tracks it.
Talking like that it seems like a fun punishment, I wish it were like that. :)
Hmm, this must already be like this in hardcore.
I think we need to consider the attitudes of players who play softcore/mediumcore versus those who play hardcore. Those who play hardcore are already expecting their experience to be super stressful, or are highly skilled, so this "punishment" is not a huge deal for them. Most softcore/mediumcore players, however, won't find this a "fun punishment" like you do. Instead, most of them will find it a nuisance, and question why the game was designed so that they were punished for something they couldn't prevent. Right now, the player chooses if they want a graveyard.

Look, I know this is partially a sandbox game, and people can play the way they want. But a sandbox game shouldn't have annoying mechanics that make it harder without the player's permission (remember all the people who complained about bad torch luck?) If you want this change, you can probably create a mod. I wouldn't imagine that a change like this is that hard to code.

A lot of code is easy. Then add in Microsoft Windows, CPUs, Graphics Cards, and software + software + software + software and you can have the cleanest, prettiest code and crap goes wrong. Back on topic. I find it silly that in order to get access to special decoratives I have to intentionally kill myself. I can't think of a single game that has this in it. Typically there is some sort of challenge involved not dropping boulders onto my head numerous times.

We should have an alternative, but neither pro or con for the original suggestion makes a win-all for everyone.

Instead, most of them will find it a nuisance, and question why the game was designed so that they were punished for something they couldn't prevent.
You can almost always prevent the npcs from dying, although sometimes it’s not so easy, just fight away from them, build their houses in a way that they stay away from fighting, be aware of the monsters that appear near them.

Wait, so you're not okay with dying, but you're okay with cheesing the game by leaving the world to despawn enemies? This seems a little strange to me. If leaving the game to despawn enemies is within your personal set of rules, I don't see why purposely killing yourself for tombstones shouldn't. Just don't "count" these deaths on your record. It's not like the game tracks it.
If I leave the game and go back to the monsters disappear it's because I don't like to die in the game lol.

Back
Top Bottom