tModLoader Official tModLoader Help Thread

Am I doing this right? This is for very early prehardmode wings I am trying to make. (My old Makeshift Wings from tAPI)

Code:
using System.Collections.Generic;
using Terraria;
using Terraria.ModLoader;

namespace TerraWingsMod.Items
{
   public class MakeshiftWings : ModItem
   {
     public override bool Autoload(ref string name, ref string texture, IList<EquipType> equips)
     {
       equips.Add(EquipType.Wings);
       return true;
     }

public override void SetDefaults()
     {
       item.name = "Makeshift Wings";
       item.width = 22;
       item.height = 36;
       item.toolTip = "Allows minor flight and slow fall.";
       item.toolTip2 = "Macgyver would be proud.";
       item.value = 20;
       item.rare = 0;
       item.accessory = true;
     }
     public override void UpdateAccessory(Player player, bool hideVisual)
     {
       player.wingTimeMax = 25;
     }

public override void VerticalWingSpeeds(ref float ascentWhenFalling, ref float ascentWhenRising,
       ref float maxCanAscendMultiplier, ref float maxAscentMultiplier, ref float constantAscend)
     {
       ascentWhenFalling = 0.85f;
       ascentWhenRising = 0.15f;
       maxCanAscendMultiplier = 1f;
       maxAscentMultiplier = 3f;
       constantAscend = 0.135f;
     }

public override void HorizontalWingSpeeds(ref float speed, ref float acceleration)
     {
       speed = 1f;
       acceleration *= 1.0f;
     }

public override void AddRecipes()
     {
       ModRecipe recipe = new ModRecipe(mod);
       recipe.AddIngredient(null, "Umbrella", 1);
       recipe.AddIngredient(null, "RocketBoots", 1);
       recipe.AddTile(TileID.TinkerersWorkshop);
       recipe.SetResult(this);
       recipe.AddRecipe();
     }
   }
}

I am trying to make my own prehardmode wings mod, and one of the wings will be my old makeshift wings.

Most of the wings I want to make will be crafted, but one set I want to drop from Queen Bee (with a 15% chance), I am sure once I read around the tutorial pages enough that I will eventually figure out how to add custom drops to vanilla bosses, but if anyone wants to help me speed that process up go ahead.
Actually I think I would much rather make the wings craftable instead of a boss drop, make the player do more then just fight a boss.

I think this is correct:

http://hastebin.com/muhosajelo.cs

I know you cannot use sprites from other versions of terraria in your mods but can you use the pc sprites with some modifications like change in colors or small texture changes?

I know you cannot use sprites from other versions of terraria in your mods but can you use the pc sprites with some modifications like change in colors or small texture changes?

Yes, according to the modding rules, for the purposes of making a Terraria mod, you can use recolored Terraria sprites as long as they aren't the sprites of removed or unobtainable items.

Is it possible for a mod to trigger changes on fishing after golem is killed (new fishes and crates)? Also is it possible to set new items to be fished with a fish power requirement that is higher than the max vanilla fishing power level?

Yes, according to the modding rules, for the purposes of making a Terraria mod, you can use recolored Terraria sprites as long as they aren't the sprites of removed or unobtainable items.
Thats a pretty interesting rule. Is there any reason why?

It's just kinda how things have been. I'm not sure if it's actually a rule that you can do recolors, but it's just been acceptable since modding started.

The reason for the mobile and console restrictions is mostly because those sprites, textures, and behaviors are intellectual property of the companies that handled the port, not Relogic.

Can you reverse engeneer tmod files?
Out of respect for the wishes of the original modder, we don't discuss such things. If the modder didn't make their mod readable, they didn't want other modders re purposing their code they worked on.

ey im on terraria for the computer and i updated my terraria to 1.3.3 and all of the sudden my mods and my worlds/characters were gone. pls help ;(
[doublepost=1473457333,1473457071][/doublepost]pls no im sad
When a new version of Terraria come out tModLoader must be updated too, so you have to wait for tModLoader to support 1.3.3

ey im on terraria for the computer and i updated my terraria to 1.3.3 and all of the sudden my mods and my worlds/characters were gone. pls help ;(
Worlds/Characters aren't gone, just in a folder thats only accessible via ingame menu when tmodloader is installed.

When a new version of Terraria come out tModLoader must be updated too, so you have to wait for tModLoader to support 1.3.3
Just reinstall, you don't have to wait unless you want to play the 1.3.3 content.

@jopojelly Why? Then there is no way to know if they really don't wan't to share it. Most people just won't even know it exist or remember/care to change it.
Why don't you simply ask the mod developer if you can have a look at the source code? So ya'll now for sure if he wanted to share it

@Odran The username he used in the mod is not on this forum. Also that would only help me on my particular case and wont cover situations like the one I described or other similar ones so the issue would still be present.

Sorry for the late response, I had a busy week and went to bed early yesterday without checking the forum. To expand on what jopojelly said:

Removed/unobtainable sprites can't be used simply because the higher ups, ie relogic, have said they don't want those sprites used and since they own the copyright on them that is their right. If i had to guesstimate more specific reasons (and these are just that, guesses based on publicly available information). Some of the removed items could be considered to infringe on the Intellectual Property of other companies, so it is best to simply not allow the sprites of removed items to be used at all. And as for the unobtainable items, they are generally things that will probably be obtainable in the game at some point, so best not to cause confusion by allowing modders to implement the items or items with the same sprites before the official ones are put in the game.

The disallowment of using console/mobile sprites is just as jopojelly said, those sprites are owned by companies other than relogic and those companies haven't given permission for those sprites to be used outside their ports of the game.

As for recolors, my reasoning for them being allowed when I wrote the modding rules and when enforcing those rules basically comes down to four things:

1) The modding rules specifically state that Terraria assets can be used in mods and tools as long as packaging the assets for redistribution isn't the purpose for their inclusion.
Do not package Terraria's fonts, images, sounds, or other content files for the purpose of redistribution. However, Terraria content files may be included in an enhancement if they are needed for the proper operation or use of the enhancement and not primarily functioning as a form of redistribution.
2) By allowing modding, it is somewhat expected that Terraria code and assets are a starting point that will be expanded upon and that in both code and assets some amount of derivative work will be necessary to create mod content that is in keeping with the style and atmosphere of the game.
3) Disallowing derivative work, such as sprite recolors, would create an exceptionally high bar to entry into making mods, meaning that anyone who doesn't have the artistic skill to create their own sprites from scratch (ie a good majority of coders) would basically be incapable of making a mod on their own.
4) The most straight forward reason is that disallowing recolors would pretty much ban a huge swath of mods and effectively destroy the entire purpose of allowing modding and cripple the wonderful community that it generates.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some insight into the whys of the situations. :)

Sorry for the late response, I had a busy week and went to bed early yesterday without checking the forum. To expand on what jopojelly said:

Removed/unobtainable sprites can't be used simply because the higher ups, ie relogic, have said they don't want those sprites used and since they own the copyright on them that is their right. If i had to guesstimate more specific reasons (and these are just that, guesses based on publicly available information). Some of the removed items could be considered to infringe on the Intellectual Property of other companies, so it is best to simply not allow the sprites of removed items to be used at all. And as for the unobtainable items, they are generally things that will probably be obtainable in the game at some point, so best not to cause confusion by allowing modders to implement the items or items with the same sprites before the official ones are put in the game.

The disallowment of using console/mobile sprites is just as jopojelly said, those sprites are owned by companies other than relogic and those companies haven't given permission for those sprites to be used outside their ports of the game.

As for recolors, my reasoning for them being allowed when I wrote the modding rules and when enforcing those rules basically comes down to four things:

1) The modding rules specifically state that Terraria assets can be used in mods and tools as long as packaging the assets for redistribution isn't the purpose for their inclusion.

2) By allowing modding, it is somewhat expected that Terraria code and assets are a starting point that will be expanded upon and that in both code and assets some amount of derivative work will be necessary to create mod content that is in keeping with the style and atmosphere of the game.
3) Disallowing derivative work, such as sprite recolors, would create an exceptionally high bar to entry into making mods, meaning that anyone who doesn't have the artistic skill to create their own sprites from scratch (ie a good majority of coders) would basically be incapable of making a mod on their own.
4) The most straight forward reason is that disallowing recolors would pretty much ban a huge swath of mods and effectively destroy the entire purpose of allowing modding and cripple the wonderful community that it generates.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some insight into the whys of the situations. :)

Thanks for explaining it. :)

WHERE IS MY TMODLOADER???!!! I STARTED UP TERRARIA AND IT WASNT THERE! AND I HAD IT FOR A LONG TIME. MY FILES FROM IT ARE STILL THERE!

WHERE IS MY TMODLOADER???!!! I STARTED UP TERRARIA AND IT WASNT THERE! AND I HAD IT FOR A LONG TIME. MY FILES FROM IT ARE STILL THERE!
its because terraria updated. if you had the file named Terraria.exe then you need to reinstall TmodLoader and yes your worlds and characters will still be there if you renamed the file then just boot up the file for tmodloader so calm down you just cant play tmodloader with 1.3.3 yet

Back
Top Bottom