Oh, So That's How Hoiks Work

Starlane

Skeletron Prime
I want to get into Terraria engineering, but I had no idea where to start. I ended up with a simple hoik.
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 9.03.36 PM.png

May god help me.

I'm right with you there man. I don't understand half of this stuff and know less than a fifth of how it works. Or how to make it work. Good luck to you and good job. (I still don't know how hoiks work... why was it even programmed into the game?)

Well, it's a glitch, so it wasn't programmed. I think it has something to do with how sloped blocks push you down, but with ground there you are pushed up and forward slightly, thus making the hoik.
Oh, I also made a really good way to waste fireworks. I might make separate threads for my more useful things, but for now, this'll do.
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.43.21 PM.png

Hmm, I've seen that. Maybe I could make a bunch of rows and see how much it takes to obliterate them. Right now I'm caught in a solar eclipse though, much to my annoyance.

Well, it's a glitch, so it wasn't programmed. I think it has something to do with how sloped blocks push you down, but with ground there you are pushed up and forward slightly, thus making the hoik.
Yep, basically. In a nutshell, it's the game's collision detection recognizing that you're inside of the block and trying to kick you out of it.

Yep, basically. In a nutshell, it's the game's collision detection recognizing that you're inside of the block and trying to kick you out of it.
Yes, sort of. The collision for sloped blocks is handled a bit differently than with normal blocks. They were a later addition to the game, after all. When standing on a block, the actors Y velocity gets adjusted, so they don't fall through it. Sloped blocks on the other hand change the actors position directly. This was probably a workaround, so the devs didn't have to rewrite the whole collision detection.

I wouldn't call hoiking a glitch. The tile engine needed to support sloped tiles. Showing a sloped sprite is one thing, changing the game to do proper collision detection with rotation and no longer limiting it to AABBs would be a lot of work. So the devs made the simple choice: allow players to partially clip threw tiles that are sloped. This make implementation a ton easier but has the side effect of allowing us to abuse/take advantage of the clipping behavior.

Anyway I think a glitch is something that doesn't do what is intended. Hoiks are a result of a lazy collision detection approach, but hey it can be used for neat things so why develop something more complex. I would say hoiks are a side effect of the implementation choices. Not a bug or glitch.

I wouldn't call hoiking a glitch. The tile engine needed to support sloped tiles. Showing a sloped sprite is one thing, changing the game to do proper collision detection with rotation and no longer limiting it to AABBs would be a lot of work. So the devs made the simple choice: allow players to partially clip threw tiles that are sloped. This make implementation a ton easier but has the side effect of allowing us to abuse/take advantage of the clipping behavior.

Anyway I think a glitch is something that doesn't do what is intended. Hoiks are a result of a lazy collision detection approach, but hey it can be used for neat things so why develop something more complex. I would say hoiks are a side effect of the implementation choices. Not a bug or glitch.
You know what they say: work smarter, not harder.

Back
Top Bottom