Items Parity for Leather

Big Sammich

Duke Fishron
I was thinking about leather, the item. It barely does anything, only being used to craft two of the three pieces of the Archaeologist's set, and yet for some reason it's Corruption exclusive, meaning that without an artificial Corruption biome, players in a Crimson world cannot complete the set. This just doesn't make sense. In order to either remedy or even out this imbalance, here are the options I'd like to propose:
  1. Vertebrae can also be crafted into Leather. Basic, and perhaps not very interesting, but it would solve the problem.
  2. Vertebrae can be crafted into a new item, which makes its own vanity set. In order to make it equivalent to the Archaeologist's Set, which has one piece that is obtained from an enemy drop and the others being crafted, I came up with the following. 5 Vertebrae can be crafted into Bone Cloth, which resembles Silk, except it is darker and has white bone-like markings on it. With Bone Cloth, you can make a Skeleton Suit and Skeleton Pants, each one needing 15 Bone Cloth. The Suit and Pants look like black material with bones drawn on them, much like a real life skeleton Halloween costume. These, alongside the Skull, which currently drops from Skeletons in the Cavern layer, create the Skeleton vanity set, which allows the player to resemble a spooky scary skeleton. I honestly am surprised we don't already have a skeleton vanity outfit in the game, even though we have the Skull.
I would also like to take this opportunity to ask for a statue of a Crimera or Face Monster, which would of course spawn that enemy. We have the Corrupt Statue, but no Crimson Statue. This is a logical inclusion, and would also provide a way to get Vertebrae in a Corruption world without having to build an artificial biome.

The problem outlined in this post is mostly inconsequential, but that doesn't mean it's not worth solving.

vertebrae is bone, leather is.... skin. hide. something like that. i don't think it makes sense

maybe crimson creatures can drop their skin or something (crimson variant of leather).... ehhh, maybe that's weird

vertebrae is bone, leather is.... skin. hide. something like that. i don't think it makes sense

maybe crimson creatures can drop their skin or something (crimson variant of leather).... ehhh, maybe that's weird
Yeah. I ran into the same problem. Trouble is, I wanted to work with what was already in game, but there's no fabric-like material that you can make out of bone. I eventually decided to just give up and make up something new. We can suspend our disbelief for this one, I hope. It's bone cloth - cloth made of bones.

Yeah. I ran into the same problem. Trouble is, I wanted to work with what was already in game, but there's no fabric-like material that you can make out of bone. I eventually decided to just give up and make up something new. We can suspend our disbelief for this one, I hope. It's bone cloth - cloth made of bones.
yknow what, i can settle for that. you also make pianos and teapots out of bone, so why not, right?

How about the bloody spine still has some skin on it then you can craft leather with it? or just make a crimson counterpart like a sort of bonemail , which can then also craft into the set

How about the bloody spine still has some skin on it then you can craft leather with it? or just make a crimson counterpart like a sort of bonemail , which can then also craft into the set
Using the Bloody Spine isn't an option in my mind, since it's a boss summon item, and I'm going for parity with the Corruption. But "bonemail," that's certainly an option too. Sort of linking the vertebrae together to make a textile? I do really like the idea of "bone cloth" but this is also a good idea.

Tried to make an archeologist’s set in my crimson world right now and found out about this. Full support, I also enjoy the crimson creature statue concept for more parity

What if the vertebrae could be made into Bone Marrow at a crafting station (not sure which) and that gets made into a leather equivalent? Also, the skeleton set should look like there is some muscles/ligaments holding it together since it is crimson and would resemble the spinal column item.

Perhaps smelting vertebrae at a furnace could work to get Bone Marrow (makes some sense, I suppose), which is then used to craft this vanity set. Not sure how realistic (don't pull the but terraria's not meant to be realistic! argument) "bone cloth" would be, I think Bone Marrow makes marginally more sense.

Perhaps smelting vertebrae at a furnace could work to get Bone Marrow (makes some sense, I suppose), which is then used to craft this vanity set. Not sure how realistic (don't pull the but terraria's not meant to be realistic! argument) "bone cloth" would be, I think Bone Marrow makes marginally more sense.
Maybe, but bone marrow isn't used for cloth or fabric making. When I was making this post, I looked for any real-life textiles made from bones, but didn't find anything. So unless something obvious exists that I missed, I decided to just make something up entirely. Better to have something totally fake than to apply a false function to a real object, I think. The people who care about the game being "realistic" will have less to complain about.

You could maybe get a Rattleshirt reference from a song of fire and ice, or, with a bit of eye rolling, maybe a Black Parade vanity.

That said, I don't suppose I'd be terribly upset if both corruption and crimson had "purified" furniture set. Leather getting worked into some clean looking rancher/leather furniture and vertibrae being worked into "scrimshaw" without any of the fleshy bits is not something I'd be adverse to.

I agree with this, maybe Change the name tho, crimson marrow? Crimarrow? Bone crimmow?

Back
Top Bottom