Linux Permissions

I am utterly confused by the user and permissions structure of Terraria.
I have read all the documentation, which has definitely been written by computer nerds, meaning they understand it fine, but laymen do not.

Does someone have a SIMPLE set of instructions, in PLAIN ENGLISH please, that will fully explain how to set up groups and assign the various permissions to them and more importantly how to assign users to those groups, as even following the instructions, I cannot assign users to any groups.

The main reason I need to do this is so I can play the game fully, as it appears for some reason only the developers decided upon, that things like summon the Goblin Army usign the Banner, can only be done so by users with certain permission levels, and not every user....would anyone know why they decided to do this, as it seems plain daft to me?

But the main thing is, whenever I create a new world and/or new user, I would like all those users to have the various 'non-admin' permissions, by default

I have done a search on the forum for permissions, but could not find anything.

Oh yes, the server is running on a Ubuntu 15.04, 64 bit box, and I have to use steam to be able to run it as a player.

Thanks for any advice

I am utterly confused by the user and permissions structure of Terraria.
I have read all the documentation, which has definitely been written by computer nerds, meaning they understand it fine, but laymen do not.

Does someone have a SIMPLE set of instructions, in PLAIN ENGLISH please, that will fully explain how to set up groups and assign the various permissions to them and more importantly how to assign users to those groups, as even following the instructions, I cannot assign users to any groups.

The main reason I need to do this is so I can play the game fully, as it appears for some reason only the developers decided upon, that things like summon the Goblin Army usign the Banner, can only be done so by users with certain permission levels, and not every user....would anyone know why they decided to do this, as it seems plain daft to me?

But the main thing is, whenever I create a new world and/or new user, I would like all those users to have the various 'non-admin' permissions, by default

I have done a search on the forum for permissions, but could not find anything.

Oh yes, the server is running on a Ubuntu 15.04, 64 bit box, and I have to use steam to be able to run it as a player.

Thanks for any advice
https://tshock.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TSHOCKPLUGINS/Home

Was going to respond to this as well, didn't get around to it until this morning.

This isn't an aspect of Terraria or its code. Not being a user of tshock myself, I actually had no idea what you were talking about because it sounds completely alien to me as a Terraria player. So while I still don't know the details of how to go adjusting it, this is a tshock feature, so I'd recommend seeking help for it on their website or in the mod discussion section of this forum. :)

Thanks
for that, but I have looked at those 'instructions' and still no joy.
I can create a group and add permissions to it.
I can add a player and assign them to a group
But it still does nothing
[DOUBLEPOST=1456421051,1456420996][/DOUBLEPOST]
Was going to respond to this as well, didn't get around to it until this morning.

This isn't an aspect of Terraria or its code. Not being a user of tshock myself, I actually had no idea what you were talking about because it sounds completely alien to me as a Terraria player. So while I still don't know the details of how to go adjusting it, this is a tshock feature, so I'd recommend seeking help for it on their website or in the mod discussion section of this forum. :)

Thank you very much for that. I will do so. It really is a bloody pain, and ludicrous that users do not even have the most basic of permissions :)

I find it ludicrous that you expected everyone to know what you were talking about, but as Leinfors said, go check out their thread.

Thank you very much for that. I will do so. It really is a bloody pain, and ludicrous that users do not even have the most basic of permissions :)

I'm sure they have a reason for the feature, and a method of adjusting it. That's the entire point of server plugins, control over aspects of gameplay on the server. :)

Back
Top Bottom