Player Friendly Lava Pit Trap

FairyPrincessSerenity

Empress of Light
I got tired of the usual home defense measures I usually put into place and decided to try something new with something old. It's either very simple or very hard to build depending on your ability to beat The Twins.

This trap is defined by a series of individual Player Above logic blocks connected to individual blocks that make up the bridge above them. They only become active when a player walks across them. Everything else (mobs, friendly NPCs) fall to their deaths below and any drops are funneled to the edge of the lava pit. (My home has an access to the wall that the items end up at.)

By linking only one block to each sensor, there is enough time for each sensor to adjust to your movement 2 blocks in advance on either side. This is a very efficient design that almost ensures you have a solid platform to stand on. Almost. In multiplayer games and servers, the latency delay can occasionally cause you to fall into the pit. It's easy enough to get out of, though.

Here is an image detailing the design and the wiring that makes it work.

Player Friendly Lava Pit Trap.png

Ignore the red wire going up the wall and attached to the lamps. That's part of my day and night lighting system.
Oh, and ignore the green wire on the bottom. That's part of my 14 day announcement machine.
The door is actually connected to the function of the first block on the left of the bridge, so the door will open and that block will become solid at the same time.

The applications of this design can be used for the lava pit bridge depicted in the image above, or you can switch out solid blocks for platforms and make an arena out of it. An arena of that design means that you'll be up on platforms while the mobs are down on the ground.

The only problem appears if your NPCs decide to travel out... :D
I tried building this and ran into the opposite problem: NPCs (the Traveling Merchant in particular) spawning outside the base seem to have a fondness for falling into the lava traps. My initial solution was to add a switch to toggle all the actuated blocks simultaneously and give them a bridge in, but then ran into the problem that trying to stand too close to the bridge would make them fall in anyway.

So after a lot of thought, and some experimentation with various logic gate configurations, I figured out that if I halved the resolution (one sensor for every two blocks), I could add a two-lamp AND gate below each one, where one of the lamps is for the sensor and the other is tied to the switch. This means that, if the bridge is toggled to be solid, then players can still walk over it instead of opening a hole up underneath themselves.

On top of that, I added a day/night sensor combo underneath the manual switch, to also act as a toggle, so that any NPCs spawning during the day won't fall in (slimes aren't exactly the most worrisome of opponents, and the manual switch is still there if an Eclipse happens).

Here's a short slice of the bridge with and without visible wiring; it can be repeated for basically whatever length you want, and the pit can be as deep as you want:
Capture 2016-05-27 00_18_11.png

Capture 2016-05-27 00_18_52.png

That's a bit cluttered, so here's the individual wire colors emphasized by themselves:
Capture 2016-05-27 00_19_36.png

Capture 2016-05-27 00_19_42.png

Capture 2016-05-27 00_19_48.png

Capture 2016-05-27 00_19_55.png

That last one is the switch/day/night toggle.

True. And after actually testing it, it seems that npcs can be knockbacked past the conveyor belt, so that's far from ideal. Only glanced through your post before, and didn't notice automated toggle based on day/night. I completely forgot that npcs only spawn during the day, so thanks for reminding about that.
Slightly offtopic, but is it possible to manipulate traveling merchant spawn location? He has a nasty habit of spawning on roofs, nearby floating islands and invasion grinders(where he likes to teleport into killchambers if you're unlucky).

Great idea! I haven't been around for quite a while, and it's time to update my moat, so I went with MageKing's design. I upgraded the day/night detection so it won't trigger if it is already are in the right state, so if I opened the moat because of an eclipse it will stay opened once it turns to night.

qTc12sB.jpg

QyOUcwA.jpg

It was a little more challenging than expected to get this working, mostly because the output signal wire is also carries an input signal (yellow cable). I resolved this by decoupling the output of those two AND gates with the right dart trap/teal pressure plate combo.
Also, for the AND gates to work right I needed two impulses, the day and night sensors only give one. I also resolved it with an dart trap and two teal pressure plates for each sensor.

For testing I recommend using an switch instead of the day/night sensors. I just started experimenting with Terraria's version of logic gates so there might be an easier way to archive this...

Great idea! I haven't been around for quite a while, and it's time to update my moat, so I went with MageKing's design. I upgraded the day/night detection so it won't trigger if it is already are in the right state, so if I opened the moat because of an eclipse it will stay opened once it turns to night.

qTc12sB.jpg

QyOUcwA.jpg

It was a little more challenging than expected to get this working, mostly because the output signal wire is also carries an input signal (yellow cable). I resolved this by decoupling the output of those two AND gates with the right dart trap/teal pressure plate combo.
Also, for the AND gates to work right I needed two impulses, the day and night sensors only give one. I also resolved it with an dart trap and two teal pressure plates for each sensor.

For testing I recommend using an switch instead of the day/night sensors. I just started experimenting with Terraria's version of logic gates so there might be an easier way to archive this...
now you need A way to get out again^^

Back
Top Bottom