Game Mechanics Please don't remove auto-pause

mothman

Terrarian
Please do not make auto-pause the same as it is on mobile. I first played Terraria on console and have been used to auto-pause. After buying the mobile version I realize this is not an option and is going to be removed from other platforms in the future. Currently, it only effects settings (which should be the default anyway).

Being able to pause the game while changing gear, looking at the map, and reorganizing inventory is a very basic quality of life feature that is present in almost every video game I've ever played. The only time I've ever seen it done differently is Minecraft, and it immediately made me stop playing. It's stressful having to rush every menu interaction because any second an enemy could appear and kill you. It's not fun.

I get that there was some sort of "cheat" or exploit involving auto-pause. I don't know what it is, and it doesn't really matter. If there's a problem with a feature, shouldn't the first step be to fix the problem, not remove the feature entirely? And even if that wasn't possible, at the very least it should remain an option for those that want to use it. You should be able to look at a map or move an item to the hot bar without being killed by something that wasn't even on screen when you opened it. I don't even want to play the version of the game I just purchased because its more stressful than anything else. Every update has improved terraria so far, but this just seems like a major step backwards.

You should be able to look at a map or move an item to the hot bar without being killed by something that wasn't even on screen when you opened it.
I mean... to be fair, even in the current version with autopause enabled, the game doesn't pause while you're viewing the fullscreen map. Though yeah, I feel like it should.

The exploit was incredibly easy to do, and there was literally no downside to using it. It was the fact that autopause gave you a "stop time" button without a cooldown (which let you just spam the pause button to make dodging literally anything hilariously easy.). There unfortunately isn't any feasible way to prevent this, so they are just removing it. You can use a summon weapon to alleviate your troubles a little bit, and unfortunately that's what it looks like your best option is going to be.

The exploit was incredibly easy to do, and there was literally no downside to using it. It was the fact that autopause gave you a "stop time" button without a cooldown (which let you just spam the pause button to make dodging literally anything hilariously easy.). There unfortunately isn't any feasible way to prevent this, so they are just removing it. You can use a summon weapon to alleviate your troubles a little bit, and unfortunately that's what it looks like your best option is going to be.
That's why it's an option to turn autopause on and off. I know, it can be quite infuriating to see that other players are using what appears to be a "cheese" tactic when playing the game. However, we all have different capacities for skill and enjoyment in our activities. If someone wishes to use autopause as a quality of life feature, then you're not the one to stop them. At no point have I ever seen autopause be used to break the game via dodging projectiles. In fact, something such as the nurse seems more broken than autopause, but I don't think it should be removed because of that. The nurse is an accommodation for those who need it for further game enjoyment; this is much like other features (including autopause). Remember, not everyone finds enjoyment in overcoming challenging hurdles in video games. The mere gameplay itself and advancement of features/abilities can make it an exhilarating experience on its own. Removing autopause will drive away a LOT of the latter, simply because it makes game-play more manageable.

That's why it's an option to turn autopause on and off. I know, it can be quite infuriating to see that other players are using what appears to be a "cheese" tactic when playing the game. However, we all have different capacities for skill and enjoyment in our activities. If someone wishes to use autopause as a quality of life feature, then you're not the one to stop them. At no point have I ever seen autopause be used to break the game via dodging projectiles. In fact, something such as the nurse seems more broken than autopause, but I don't think it should be removed because of that. The nurse is an accommodation for those who need it for further game enjoyment; this is much like other features (including autopause). Remember, not everyone finds enjoyment in overcoming challenging hurdles in video games. The mere gameplay itself and advancement of features/abilities can make it an exhilarating experience on its own. Removing autopause will drive away a LOT of the latter, simply because it makes game-play more manageable.
I actually am not happy about autopause being removed. I didn't use it, but considering that exploiting it wasn't common sense, I never played the game with it. In fact, I actually play a lot of multiplayer, which straight up removes autopause. But if you were clever enough to actually think of how you could exploit it, then you probably have earned that ability.

that's what doesn't make sense to me, it's not a competitive game, if someone wants to cheese bosses instead of playing the game normally, who cares? i can't imagine constantly starting and stopping the game during combat is any fun anyway.

Back
Top Bottom