tModLoader Pocket Sand: Weaponizing Vile Powder Once More

Megakaby

Terrarian
Long ago, when 1.1 was released way back in December of 2011, a change was made to Terraria that removed Vile Powder's ability to deal damage. Though I understand the change, I always kinda missed throwing dust at things through doors and keeping my early houses safe at night. This mod aims to reintroduce this mechanic through a vast variety of different dusts that do anything from light things on fire to actively seek out anything nearby!

The two main item types in this mod are obviously the dusts themselves, as well as dust pouches, which are used as a means to throw each of the different types of dust. Over time I'll be adding additional types of dusts, as well as more pouches, to allow for progression through the entire game using purely this mechanic, for those who'd like a neat challenge. I'll also be adding armor and accessories specific to throwing dust as well.

Current version: 0.3

Content covering all of Pre-Hardmode has been added! I'll update this list as it gets updated.
BasicPouch.png
Basic Pouch - 2 Damage, 0% Crit Chance, No Knockback. Made with 5 Sand and 7 Silk at a workbench. The starting pouch, allowing you to use every type of dust aside from Pocket Sand.
CorruptPouch.png
BloodyPouch.png
Evil Pouches - 5/7 Damage, 4% Crit Chance, 1/2 Knockback. Made with 7 of the respective evil bar and 10 Silk at an anvil. The Corrupt Pouch fires a bit faster at the cost of damage, while the Crimson Pouch has more damage, but fires slower.
JunglePouch.png
Grassy Pouch - 10 Damage, 4% Crit Chance, 2 Knockback. Made with 10 Silk, 3 Stingers, 1 Vine, and 7 Jungle Spores at an anvil. It's a better Basic Pouch in every way.
DungeonPouch.png
Waterskin - 8 Damage, 4% Crit Chance, 1 Knockback. Made with 10 Silk, 1 Water Candle, 1 Water Bucket, and 15 Bones at an anvil. The only Pre-Hardmode pouch that has autoswing, and also the fastest-firing Pre-Hardmode pouch.
HellstonePouch.png
Charred Pouch - 12 Damage, 6% Crit Chance, 3 Knockback. Made with 7 Silk, 7 Hellstone Bars, and 15 Obsidian. This pouch has the highest knockback of the Pre-Hardmode pouches, and throws dust the farthest. Useful for fighting things at long range, something rather difficult to do using dust. It fires the slowest, though.
NightsPouch.png
Witching Hour - 15 Damage, 8% Crit Chance, 2 Knockback. Made with one of each of the biome pouches at a demon altar. The Night's Edge for this mod, it has the highest damage and crit chance, and fires slightly faster and farther than most of the other pouches. It might be good to keep an extra Charred Pouch around for its superior range, though.
The types of dust are placed in the order you're able to obtain them. Each type also has a different size, ranging from Tiny to Massive.

Pocket Sand - 2 Damage, Tiny, 1 Knockback. Made with sand, makes 50. The only type of dust that can be thrown without a pouch, making it useful as a weapon before you get your hands on one.

Powder Snow - 2 Damage, Tiny, 1 Knockback. Made with snow, makes 25. It's supposed to slow down enemies, but for now it's simply an alternative to Pocket Sand.

Shattered Glass - 4 Damage, Tiny, 1 Knockback. Made with glass at a workbench, makes 10. Simply a damage upgrade.

Sawdust - 3 Damage, Average, 2 Knockback. Made with wood at a Sawmill, makes 50. It doesn't last very long, making it more useful for quick bursts of damage rather than keeping
something in place.

Pocket Ebonsand/Crimsand - 5/6 Damage, Small, 1 Knockback. Made with Ebon/Crimsand, makes 25. Purely a damage upgrade.

Vile Powder+/Vicious Powder+ - 8/9 Damage, Average, 2 Knockback, 0% Crit Chance. Made with Vile/Vicious Mushrooms, or with normal Vile/Vicious Powder. This can't be used in a pouch, it's thrown like Pocket Sand.

Stardust - 6 Damage, Average, 6 Knockback. Made with Fallen Stars at an anvil, makes 10. This dust flies far, has great knockback, decent damage, and sticks around just a bit longer if it's hitting something. The only drawback is the recipe, since Fallen Stars aren't easy to come by.

Shattered Gel - 2 Damage, Tiny, 7 Knockback. Made with slime blocks at a workbench, makes 10. The large knockback makes this useful for actually pushing things back.

Life Powder - 5 Damage, Small, 1 Knockback. Made with Life Crystals at an anvil, makes 10. The life steal it grants is actually based off of the pouch you use, not the damage it deals, making the healing scale with your progression.

Crushed Hive - 1 Damage, No Knockback. Made with 2 hive blocks at a workbench, makes 5. It throws 3 bees! The damage is actually about a third of what you'd expect, but each bee hits twice.

Unstable Hive - 1 Damage, No Knockback. Made with 5 Crushed Hive, 5 Bottled Honey, 1 hive block, 1 crispy honey, and 1 Beewax. Makes 3. It's like firing a beenade that explodes instantly.

Bone Dust - 10 Damage, Small, 1 Knockback. Made with bones, makes 5. Flies a little farther than standard dust, but otherwise just a damage upgrade.

Combo Dust - 4 Damage, Small, 1 Knockback. Made with 15 Bone Dust and 5 Stardust at a workbench, makes 7. A special type of dust that lasts longer the more times it hits something.

Ashen Dust - 6 Damage, Small, 1 Knockback. Made with ash, makes 25. Lights things on fire.
With that said, I just need to work on respriting everything so they aren't just recolors and just implementing everything.
The internal name is Cressentials instead of Pocket Sand, since I had already published it with that name before I decided on Pocket Sand. Whoops...

Super special thanks to Linx145, creator of Pinky's Content Pack, for helping me out with making the particles only spawn once. :D

I also have a Discord server! If you have any suggestions or just want to hang out, feel free to join!
https://discord.gg/pFrmQB6

Attachments

• Cressentials 0.3.1.zip
    89.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Interesting mod, I like the idea! I hope this turns out well. I'd be willing to help with stats if you need them.

Back
Top Bottom