Game Mechanics Potion usage limitation

What do you think?

• Absolutely, it makes sense

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Sure, but only for Expert Mode

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Maybe...I was thinking something else (clarify in a post)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • No thanks, I'll pass

Votes: 36 44.4%

• Total voters
These systems are clunky for the UI.

It can be made not to be. The same issue has been brought up in my Dyes thread, but there's a lot of things you can do with the GUI.

Besides, the 'Potion Bar Upgrade Items' are very much like the 'Starmap Upgrades' from Starbound (they removed it), and both of them are examples of bad sandbox game design.

It breaks immersion and it is counterintuitive. Why would it work only once? Why does it not stack? Why does similar items stack? Those are the questions a new player will ask.

Firstly, I've never played Starbound so I'll get that out of the way.

Secondly, from a new player's perspective I get what you're saying. Hence why almost no one wants this for the normal difficulty. I've already accepted that fact. But for expert mode, the majority will be playing it with experience.

Limiting potions like this is precisely how you are limited by accessories.

Also I must frown upon the OP for using unscientific methods of obtaining buffs. Is it practical to gather ALL these buffs? Will people actually seek out ALL these buffs or use just enough to kill the boss or run events?

Concerning the Moon events, it's not necessarily about completing it. It is moreso trying to get as far as possible. This is even greater so because of the fact that the moon events are end-game. Because of that, you'd want the most optimal set-up. Though I will admit, I did go slightly overboard.

It can be made not to be. The same issue has been brought up in my Dyes thread, but there's a lot of things you can do with the GUI.

So why not just impose a fixed limit and buff potions accordingly? Even better: why even implement this idea in the first place?

Firstly, I've never played Starbound so I'll get that out of the way.

Secondly, from a new player's perspective I get what you're saying. Hence why almost no one wants this for the normal difficulty. I've already accepted that fact. But for expert mode, the majority will be playing it with experience.

Limiting potions like this is precisely how you are limited by accessories.

No, I mean it isn't difficult to play around. It is clunky. You use an item to increase your max potion bar and you cannot use it again but you can use a similar item to increase your potion bar further? What?

Because you reply in quotes for some strange reason, I'm just going to number accordingly:

1. What limit? To how much buffs you can have? That's already set; you can only have 20. The problem with a limit like that is that the game treats having the buffs Rage and Wrath exactly the same as Invisibility and Night Owl, however the former combination is so much more useful than the latter.

And if you're going to ask "Why?" to the whole suggestion that is filled with words to combat that question in advance, then either read the original post again or agree to disagree.

2. You're completely misunderstanding the point of the cap raisers. There will be no effect on giving new characters the highest limit. Expecting a player to have the Wrath, Ironskin, Regen, Well Fed, Endurance and Swiftness before even killing Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu is highly unrealistic. These items are based on progression too. Getting 7 from EoW and raising the cap to 35 immediately makes no sense whatsoever.

I also don't see how it is clunky at all; you don't have to hunt for any of them. All of them you pretty much get from progression on the way. I considered making defeating certain bosses raise the cap, however I am not sure whether the game supports that system at the moment. So I proposed something that already exists, likewise to how life and mana crystals work.

unless this is strictly for "expert mode", then you're either out of your mind, or forgetting that re-logic had blessed us with a larger buff pool to stack. i see the larger pool of buffs to be a blessing especially because it helps mitigate the harm from all those nasty debuffs.

What do you mean? There's no debuffs during big fights (where the most buffs are used) that are inflicted enough/strong enough to even mean anything. Unless you decide to go jump towards fighter AI during the Pumpkin/Frost Moon.

I do have to ask about that, Flak. What is your opinion on the idea of making this just for expert mode? It seems a majority of voters only want this in expert mode or not at all.

To be honest, I myself am thinking this moreso deserves to be in Expert Mode in some form. That's kind of why I tried to strongly hint about the possibility for it to be added only for that mode, because I knew people wouldn't be comfortable with it in the game as it is now.

I don't see a real reason to have this.

I say that because: If one player has a problem with how many potions they can use, why limit it for other players? The people that don't want to use a ridiculous amount of potions won't use a ridiculous amount of potions. Unless you're doing PvP (which is still unbanced anyway) then I'd say this is a pretty silly idea.

This suggestion just comes down to opinion, not changing the game. You don't have to use all those potions at once, so if you don't like it then don't do it. I, on the other hand, don't use any potions besides Healing and Mana. But that's just my preference to make the game more difficult for me personally.

This will add many glitches alongside a major flaw being, killing WoF you will only have 15 potion points which can be of hindrances. Unhelpful, Unneeded and a very bad hinder for S/M/HCore players and H/PHMode alike. No support.

If one player has a problem with how many potions they can use, why limit it for other players?

For the same reason that you can't use more than one of the same accessory; to design a build most effective for a specific situation. Preparation is a key skill in this game and is highly underrated. If you don't agree with this response, then we will agree to disagree.

This will add many glitches alongside a major flaw being, killing WoF you will only have 15 potion points which can be of hindrances. Unhelpful, Unneeded and a very bad hinder for S/M/HCore players and H/PHMode alike. No support.

I don't understand what you're saying here. It's meant to be a hindrance in the proposed expert mode, but the player then has to adapt to that hinderance.

I think buff restrictions might be alright for expert mode but not in regular hardmode.
I like that we can use as many buffs as we want. More buffs=more fun.

I feel like you should be rewarded for crafting potions. if you are able to fill your bar with 20 buffs for more than 4 minutes, it means you spent a good while farming a lot of materials.

If you built a huge plant farm, it becomes even more meaningless if you can only use 5 buffs at a time.

The game is completely doable without any potions. The game is completely doable using one or two potions. If someone needs or wants to use 20 potions at all times, that's hard to accomplish. I don't think that's wrong. The payoff from building a farm is to use those potions. This is just unnecessary nerfing...

Edit: Only applies to expert mode? Well, the same things I said above apply. Why nerf potions, when they give an only temporal buff and take time to acquire.

Last edited:
Finally a suggestion, that doesn`t envolve simplifying the game proccess. That`s the main reason, why most of the people don`t support it. Come on folks, you was doing absolutely allright before fishng update and now suddenly, you can`t get over it.

For me it`s a very well thought idea, that will bring more interactivity into the game. It`s defenetly a "must have" option in expert mode.

I was thinking about this idea and came up with some little unesseccery addtions.

1. Last tokken after defeating Moon Events
To get last tokken player have to defeat both Events several times, before he gets enough materials to craft it. This tokken should either give a huge amount of points (15>) or delete the whole bar completely. Since those events are an endgame events, i don`t see any reason to have a potion bar after them. If player have defeated Events several times, he`ve proven his game skills enough.

2. Omega Potions for unconfident players.
This addition should only exsist in normal mode.
If player feel unconfident about his skills, he can craft Omega version of normal potions. These potions don`t take any points from potions bar, but you can`t use both types of potions simultaneously. If you drink an Omega potion/Normal potion, while already having a normal buff/omega buff, normal buff/omega buff will dissapear. Player should use either Omega potions or normal potiion. To make things less confusing for a new player, every potion should have a remark in item description - "Do not consume with Omega Potions" and "Do not consume with normal potions". Craft should`t be easy though. Something like 2 potions + binding material. For example - 2 Ironskin Potions + 5 Souls of Night + 5 Souls of Light = Omega Ironskin Potion.

Maybe this is kinda too much, but even so..

+1 SUPPORT

Very well thought out. I wouldn't be against this at all, although admittedly I never use potions (except for healing, mana and spelunkers ofcourse).
So perhaps I shouldn't be allowed to judge this particular idea.
Samrux makes a very valid point though. It's a pain in the rear end to craft potions. I feel that people who take the effort to craft these potions should be rewarded.

I like the idea, but I also feel people who spend so much time brewing potions will basically get a big middlefinger if this would ever get implemented.

Back
Top Bottom