Pre-Plantera melee set?

Well I as a professional melee user, would not recommend using any melee weapons against her. Unless it is that scythe you get from the solar eclipse, did I mention it help, a lot? Otherwise, you have to basically rely on a good arena, megashark, and amazing dodging skills. Use crystal bullets, also have a golden shower would be preferable. Otherwise get the best armor you can and focus your accessories on DPS and defense. At least that's what I do.

Chlorophyte Partisan is the best melee weapon for Plantera. Try to fight it in an area that has lots of little "globs" of mud around, so you can hide behind them to avoid projectiles and attack through them with the Partisan's projectile. It also does a good job at juggling the tentacles during the second phase.

Other melee weapons you should try to have at this point are the Terra Blade, Death Sickle, Dao of Pow, and a full set of Light Discs or Bananarangs. It would also be a good idea to start hunting for Corruption and Crimson Key Molds, and consider using the first Temple Key you get on those, since they make subsequent Plantera fights much easier.

I would say that the best melee weapon for Plantera would be the Death Sickle. Just kite him around as the sickles do constant piercing damage (and a LOT). Also, make sure to wear Turtle Armor.

Weapon wise the best you can get pre plantera is Light Disks/Bananarangs, Terra Blade, Death Sickle(wall hacking weapon), Dow Of Pow, and Chlorophyte Partisan for each respective class.
Of these Death Sickle is the best option for Plantera as it lets you lead him through hallways avoiding damage
As for armor combining turtle mail with chhlorophyte or hallowed armor provides better stat bonuses than Turtle alone
Personally my armor at this stage is (basically what i used before Beetle was added, took me through frost moon solo so its pretty good)
Hallowed helm(one less defense than Chlorophyte but has better stats otherwise)
Turtle Mail
Chlorophyte grieves

melee is a tricky one.
either you do it the normal way, or you get really lucky and get extremely over powered equipment
you can actually have the terra blade far before you fight plantera, and also the death sickle.

let's say you are unlucky and have to use the intended equipment
the best weapons to use then would be the chlorophyte partisan or if you're too lazy to tap the button, chlorophyte saber. with whatever armor you find best for close quarters fighting. IMO titanium armor is the best choice.

if you are using titanium armor, a star veil pairs with it very well and can cause some good extra damage to the boss itself.

a way to inflict ichor wouldn't be a bad idea either. so bring a golden shower or flask of ichor along with you. flask being more efficient for the fight alone, but the golden shower being good for extra damage from a distance.

Use ranged melee weapons such as the Shadow Scythe(Not sure about the name), True-weapons (including Terrablade), Dao of Pao, Light Discs.
Get super healing potions from the mech bosses, cooked fish, ale, and some other potions for an easier fight.
Wings and the best hook you can get is a must have here.
Try the fire gauntlet or the mechanical glove along with the fighter emblem and if you can then use frostspark/lightning boots.
As for armor I recommend turtle (if you have 3 shells) or Chrolpphyte melee set.

Good luck!

I used Terrablade and Turtle Armor. With a handful of buffs(Ironskin, Well-Fed, ...), the whole fight becomes a breeze.

Just curious on what melee stuff I should get before I fight Plantera.
Turtle Armor, for one thing. Incidentally, Melee is the only one of the three primary classes with a pre-Plantera Hardmode armor that is dedicated solely to it's class. Summoner has one, too, but Minions are on an entirely different area of existence.

Terra Blade is a must-have as well, if you're patient enough to wait for it.

It's possible using normal swords and hallowed armor.

If you want a good setup without rare drop weapons I would use the chlorophyte swords or the spear+chlorophyte armor(it's better than hallowed armor if you are using the spear because you will deal more damage per hit and don't have to spam click as much). Turtle armor also works but won't give any movement or melee speed(but can be upgraded to beetle armor after defeating the golem so I would get the set).

Light Discs also work well but I don't think they multihit enemies like the projectiles of the spear and the sword, which might make it a bit difficult for phase 2 when Plantera spawns all the small Plants.

Try to trap plantera inside a box made out of blocks, this way you won't get hit by the projectiles and can use the chlorophyte weapons for damage, keep moving around the box in a circle to keep Plantera inside it, that should be a easy way to melee the boss, but any big arena with some heart lanterns and campfires would also work.

Another good Melee item would be 10 Bananarangs, but that's almost as much of a grind as the Terra Blade is.

Turtle Armor and Mushroom Spear was good enough for me and I almost never use melee. I don't remember what accessories I used that time though.

Mushroom spear requires Plantera's death to be sold, so its not obtainable pre Plantera anymore you will have to rely on the Chlorophyte Partisan spear wise.

Another good Melee item would be 10 Bananarangs, but that's almost as much of a grind as the Terra Blade is.

Throughout the whole of my Terraria experience, I have only got one Bananarang, yet probably about 30 Terra Blades. It's much more of a grind than the Terra Blade is :/

Anyway, against Plantera for melee I cannot stress enough how good the Partisan is. You don't have to wait for the solar eclipse for that godly scythe or Terra Blade. Just grab a chunk of Chlorophyte, make the spear and wreck :red:.

If you have a crimson world, use the fetid baghnakhs, it will absolutely obliterate Plantera. If not I would recommend you to make a big arena and use the Daedalus Stormbow.

Back
Top Bottom