PC [Project] Mechmod - A T-MEC community mod

You do have valid points. That makes sense.
I don't think I've said this enough, so again, thankyou so much for your assistance in this thread. This is the first project that I've really released been actively updating and maintaining, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Looking back, there are a few more things that should be cleaned up. Thanks :p

No Problems. :)

I was just learning how to make Tables with BB code, and was adding the tooltips. Maybe when I finish, we can send this to the OP.

This thread has reached 100 posts, congrats, amazing mod and you are doing amazing work :)
aw damn I wanted that

:D just kidding. Thanks :)
No Problems. :)

I was just learning how to make Tables with BB code, and was adding the tooltips. Maybe when I finish, we can send this to the OP.
Oh cool! I see that you worked out [noparse]
[/noparse]. It confused me for a while - I was thinking that you shouldn't have to wrap it around anything ...

I think there's a proper way to do tables. Anyway, this may move to a public Slack Post if it continues. It means that both stefnotch and I can edit it, and the link can stay up in the main thread.

@five--three , as far as multi-player, I was thinking that everyone in the multi-player game would have access to the cheats/mods. Play a game of god-mode where maybe you toggle off fall damage(or a different type of damage) making for an interesting fight if the world is created to take the damage into affect. Lava world where lava damage is disable and so forth. The work did in this mod just gives more ways to play/fight and design/build to use Terraria. Cuttos!!!

@five--three, @stefnotch,
please consider incorporating this overview in the OP. Review it for inconsistencies, add a download link and install instructions, and keep it updated as changes are made to the Mod.

-inomanoms

Welcome to MechMod (formerly MEFBAEA): an engineering core-feature and partially creative-mode focussed Terraria mod!

Settings

MechMod v.1.30.1

Cheats
Infinite wire: disabled - enabled
Wrenches will use wire from your inventory. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any wire. - Wrenches will not require or consume any wire. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any wire.
Infinite actuators: disabled - enabled
Actuators will be consumed when placed. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any actuators. - Actuators will not be consumed when placed. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any actuators.
Godmode: disabled - enabled
When enabled, you will walk straight throuogh (sp!) enemies without being hit, have infinite health and mana
Infinte health: disabled - enabled
Infinite mana: disabled - enabled

Normal placing limits - No Limits
When enabled, you can place blocks anywhere.
UFO Speed: 100% [Slider] 0%
Modifies the speed of alien UFO mount.
Reset UFO Speed

Wiring
Red wire affected by light - Red wire unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether red wire will show regardless of light level.
Blue wire affected by light - Blue wire unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether blue wire will show regardless of light level.
Green wire affected by light - Green wire unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether green wire will show regardless of light level.
Actuators affected by light - Actuators unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether actuators wire will show regardless of light level.

-Wire opacity-
Red: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of red wire.
Blue: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of blue wire.
Green: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of green wire.
Actuators: 100% [slider] 0%
The brightness of actuators.

Conditionally Show Wires - Always Show Wires
Wires will show when a mechanical item is selecte (sp!). - Wires will show regardless of currently selected item.
Wrenches highlight wire - Wrenches don't highlight wire
If enabled, chains of wire under the mouse will be highlighted if the player is holding a wrench of the respective color. This feature is available otherwise with the Mechanical Ruler, bought form the mechanic.

Ghosts
Dummy ghosts: disabled - enabled
Dummy 'ghosts' are hidden.- Dummy 'ghosts' will be shown.
Ghosts are affected by light - Ghosts are unaffected by light
Dummy ghosts will be darkened according to nearby light levels. - Dummy ghosts will be shown regardless of the light levels in their area.
Dummy ghosts not outlined - Dummy ghosts outlined in red
When enabled, dummy ghosts will be shown with a thick red outline.
Dummies spawn when activated - Dummies spawn on world load
In vanilla Terraria, dummies only spawn when a player enters a 100x100 (incorrect: 200x200!) block rectangle around them. If this setting is enabled, they will spawn rearless (sp!) of player position.
Kill wayward ghosts
When dummies are moved with TEdit, the ghosts remain in the save file. These rogue ghosts are unkillable, unmoveable, and cannot get hit by projectiles. Click here to attempt to remove them.
Ghost brightness: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of dummy ghosts.
Hide dummy IDs - Show dummy IDs
Show/hide the internal NPC ID's (gr!) for each dummy.
Hide ghost feet - Show ghost feet

Hotbar
Rebind Hotkeys
Hotkey 1: O
Hotkey 2: P
Hotkey 3: K
Hotkey 4: L
Hotbar Color: 1 - 8

Reset and Styling
Reset all MechMod settings
Once reset, the settings are not recoverable. Are you sure? -> Once reset, the settings are not recoverable. Click again to confirm.
Inventory button hidden - Inventory button enabled
Shows a (glitchy) button on the inventory menu. The button will overlap the defense icon sometimes, so it is disabled by default.
Color: 1-8
Changes the menu color. Default: 1
Clouds - No clouds
Toggle all the clouds!

Close Menu

Chat Commands

Auto-placing tool (buggy)
/place <block id> <direction - up,left,right,down> <amount>
You can also throw on wire, actuator, or force on the end of that to, well, add wire, add actuators, or force the placement (will overwrite other blocks, watch out). This will place amount of blocks in the specified direction, starting at your left foot by default. The starting position can be changed by typing /place set, which will bring up a smart-cursor-like box which will become the new position. In the future, this will only work if you have the specified item in your inventory.

Slowmotion Settings
/sm <num> or /slomo <num>
num is a speed divisor, e.g. `/sm 2` gives you half speed, `/sm 10` will make the game 10x slower. This may support speeding-up too in the future.

Zooming (buggy)
/z <num> or /zoom <num>
where num is the zoom level, e.g. `/z .5` will zoom out for half magnification and `/z 2` will show the game at 2x magnification.

Inventory Cheat
/give <item ID|name>
e.g. /give Celestial Sigil

Teleport
/tp <x> <y>
Teleports you to the specified coordinates.

Keyboard (so far) only Commands

• Slow motion (Key: O)
  • Freecam (Key: L)
    • To lock/unlock screen, arrow keys to move, + and - to change movement speed.

Screenshots:

Happy New Year Update:
  • Added a button to get rid of the rouge dummy ghosts
  • Added a toggle for block placing limitations such as not being able to place stuff in the air
  • Fixed quite a lot of bugs (e.g. No more activating the cam lock while chatting)
  • /give got improved
  • /tp got added
  • Other commands got improved (If you don't know the syntax, simply leave out the rest. e.g. /give)
  • Menu got improved!
  • You can toggle clouds off
  • Config file now exists under %userprofile%\Documents\My Games\Terraria
  • (A slightly more complete changelog was posted by @five--three )
Old changelog:
  • A cooler dirt rod that can move pretty much anything!
  • Freecam (L to lock/unlock screen, arrow keys to move, + and - to change movement speed)
  • A ghost hunter feature (Makes target dummy ghosts visible)
  • Zooming (fairly buggy)
  • Characters start with mechanical tools
  • A nice menu "extension"
    • Wire opacity (You can make wires invisible, e.g. Make blue and green wires invisible ==> only red wire is visible)
    • Wire affected by light option
    • Godmode
  • Commands
  • Time changing (try dragging the sun)
  • Bugs! (Actually, no. If you find any bugs, make sure to report them here!)
  • Much more! (Look at the changelog)

please consider incorporating this overview in the OP. Review it for inconsistencies, add a download link and install instructions, and keep it updated as changes are made to the Mod.

-inomanoms

Welcome to MechMod (formerly MEFBAEA): an engineering core-feature and partially creative-mode focussed Terraria mod!

Settings

MechMod v.1.30.1

Cheats
Infinite wire: disabled - enabled
Wrenches will use wire from your inventory. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any wire. - Wrenches will not require or consume any wire. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any wire.
Infinite actuators: disabled - enabled
Actuators will be consumed when placed. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any actuators. - Actuators will not be consumed when placed. When enabled, wire cutters will not drop any actuators.
Godmode: disabled - enabled
When enabled, you will walk straight throuogh (sp!) enemies without being hit, have infinite health and mana
Infinte health: disabled - enabled
Infinite mana: disabled - enabled

Normal placing limits - No Limits
When enabled, you can place blocks anywhere.
UFO Speed: 100% [Slider] 0%
Modifies the speed of alien UFO mount.
Reset UFO Speed

Wiring
Red wire affected by light - Red wire unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether red wire will show regardless of light level.
Blue wire affected by light - Blue wire unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether blue wire will show regardless of light level.
Green wire affected by light - Green wire unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether green wire will show regardless of light level.
Actuators affected by light - Actuators unaffected by light
This setting dictates whether actuators wire will show regardless of light level.

-Wire opacity-
Red: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of red wire.
Blue: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of blue wire.
Green: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of green wire.
Actuators: 100% [slider] 0%
The brightness of actuators.

Conditionally Show Wires - Always Show Wires
Wires will show when a mechanical item is selecte (sp!). - Wires will show regardless of currently selected item.
Wrenches highlight wire - Wrenches don't highlight wire
If enabled, chains of wire under the mouse will be highlighted if the player is holding a wrench of the respective color. This feature is available otherwise with the Mechanical Ruler, bought form the mechanic.

Ghosts
Dummy ghosts: disabled - enabled
Dummy 'ghosts' are hidden.- Dummy 'ghosts' will be shown.
Ghosts are affected by light - Ghosts are unaffected by light
Dummy ghosts will be darkened according to nearby light levels. - Dummy ghosts will be shown regardless of the light levels in their area.
Dummy ghosts not outlined - Dummy ghosts outlined in red
When enabled, dummy ghosts will be shown with a thick red outline.
Dummies spawn when activated - Dummies spawn on world load
In vanilla Terraria, dummies only spawn when a player enters a 100x100 (incorrect: 200x200!) block rectangle around them. If this setting is enabled, they will spawn rearless (sp!) of player position.
Kill wayward ghosts
When dummies are moved with TEdit, the ghosts remain in the save file. These rogue ghosts are unkillable, unmoveable, and cannot get hit by projectiles. Click here to attempt to remove them.
Ghost brightness: 100% [slider] 0%
The opacity of dummy ghosts.
Hide dummy IDs - Show dummy IDs
Show/hide the internal NPC ID's (gr!) for each dummy.
Hide ghost feet - Show ghost feet

Hotbar
Rebind Hotkeys
Hotkey 1: O
Hotkey 2: P
Hotkey 3: K
Hotkey 4: L
Hotbar Color: 1 - 8

Reset and Styling
Reset all MechMod settings
Once reset, the settings are not recoverable. Are you sure? -> Once reset, the settings are not recoverable. Click again to confirm.
Inventory button hidden - Inventory button enabled
Shows a (glitchy) button on the inventory menu. The button will overlap the defense icon sometimes, so it is disabled by default.
Color: 1-8
Changes the menu color. Default: 1
Clouds - No clouds
Toggle all the clouds!

Close Menu

Chat Commands

Auto-placing tool (buggy)
/place <block id> <direction - up,left,right,down> <amount>
You can also throw on wire, actuator, or force on the end of that to, well, add wire, add actuators, or force the placement (will overwrite other blocks, watch out). This will place amount of blocks in the specified direction, starting at your left foot by default. The starting position can be changed by typing /place set, which will bring up a smart-cursor-like box which will become the new position. In the future, this will only work if you have the specified item in your inventory.

Slowmotion Settings
/sm <num> or /slomo <num>
num is a speed divisor, e.g. `/sm 2` gives you half speed, `/sm 10` will make the game 10x slower. This may support speeding-up too in the future.

Zooming (buggy)
/z <num> or /zoom <num>
where num is the zoom level, e.g. `/z .5` will zoom out for half magnification and `/z 2` will show the game at 2x magnification.

Inventory Cheat
/give <item ID|name>
e.g. /give Celestial Sigil

Teleport
/tp <x> <y>
Teleports you to the specified coordinates.

Keyboard (so far) only Commands

• Freecam (Key: L)
    • To lock/unlock screen, arrow keys to move, + and - to change movement speed.

Screenshots:

Happy New Year Update:​
  • Added a button to get rid of the rouge dummy ghosts
  • Added a toggle for block placing limitations such as not being able to place stuff in the air
  • Fixed quite a lot of bugs (e.g. No more activating the cam lock while chatting)
  • /give got improved
  • /tp got added
  • Other commands got improved (If you don't know the syntax, simply leave out the rest. e.g. /give)
  • Menu got improved!
  • You can toggle clouds off
  • Config file now exists under %userprofile%\Documents\My Games\Terraria
  • (A slightly more complete changelog was posted by @five--three )
Old changelog:
  • A cooler dirt rod that can move pretty much anything!
  • Freecam (L to lock/unlock screen, arrow keys to move, + and - to change movement speed)
  • A ghost hunter feature (Makes target dummy ghosts visible)
  • Zooming (fairly buggy)
  • Characters start with mechanical tools
  • A nice menu "extension"
    • Wire opacity (You can make wires invisible, e.g. Make blue and green wires invisible ==> only red wire is visible)
    • Wire affected by light option
    • Godmode
  • Commands
  • Time changing (try dragging the sun)
  • Bugs! (Actually, no. If you find any bugs, make sure to report them here!)
  • Much more! (Look at the changelog)
Wow ...! Nice work! Thanks so much - that's really appreciated. :) :) :) :)

Status update: I just wrote a little script .exe that merges all images in a directory into a single file, complete with output of the texture's information so that we can use it ingame. This both automates much of the code that I need to create each hotbar button and allows me to easily throw everything into a folder and compile it.

It can process an individual 40x40 image, or a row of multiple buttons. I've put together an imgur album (edit: here http://imgur.com/a/nC2Y4) on how to correctly format the image for processing. If anyone wants to help, just follow those instructions and upload the file in this thread :p
If anyone could help, that would be amazing! As you can see, my art is ... uh ... pretty nasty.

Here's the template: it's in both .pdn and .psd formats.

Attachments

• Template.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

-inomanoms

Awesome, thanks! That sure helped a lot! (Finally the main thread doesn't feel as messy anymore.)

This thread has reached 100 posts, congrats, amazing mod and you are doing amazing work :)

That's awesome! :D

Status update for today! I revamped (and ended up rewriting a fair bit of) the Hotbar code. It's super easy to add new buttons now :p Things are working snazzily, but tomorrow I'm going to make a better texture for the buttons. Then it's onto drawing textures for the individual toggles ... -_-

@stefnotch,
Installation video is great!
Unless it is pressing that you need it sooner, I will have your button images for you by the weekend.

@Aditya made the video! :D
And, take your time, I don't need them that soon. (I got an exam coming up and I need a reason to stop myself from coding. :p )
[DOUBLEPOST=1453833201,1453810636][/DOUBLEPOST]How do you insert that image into a post? Would I have to do it manually or is there some kind of magic trick/BB code that I could use?

@Aditya made the video! :D

Good job @Aditya.

@stefnotch,
It might be nice to have a banner with the Mod icon at the top of the page. The change-log spoiler button got lost in your copy-paste, and the chat commands are now doubly present with the old "Commands" spoiler button and the new Chat Commands menu. Perhaps it would be wise to reorder the information so that the overall stucture follows:

• Banner
  • Introductory text
  • Instructional download video (centre this)
  • Latest changes
  • Change log
  • Settings menu
  • Chat commands menu
  • Keyboard commands list
  • Bugs and liability dislaimers
  • Collation of suggested features
  • Credits
  • Download link
(I am assuming the posting webforms give you no option but to place attached files last)

Status update for today! I revamped (and ended up rewriting a fair bit of) the Hotbar code. It's super easy to add new buttons now :p Things are working snazzily, but tomorrow I'm going to make a better texture for the buttons. Then it's onto drawing textures for the individual toggles ... -_-

Exciting news! Can't wait to see. In a previous post where you shared the .psd template for image textures, you made mention of
an imgur album on how to correctly format the image for processing.
I don't see this. Also, since I don't know what you want the icons to be, or what the final list of items on the menu will be, I feel my hands a little tied here now.

I was also planning to submit a suggestion of how the Settings menu directory should like, but that will come in a while. It was, in part, my reason for typing up the Settings menu: so that I could more easily rearrange it. :D

Last edited:
Exciting news! Can't wait to see. In a previous post where you shared the .psd template for image textures, you made mention of I don't see this. Also, since I don't know what you want the icons to be, or what the final list of items on the menu will be, I feel my hands a little tied here now.

I was also planning to submit a suggestion of how the Settings menu directory should like, but that will come in a while. It was, in part, my reason for typing up the Settings menu: so that I could more easily rearrange it. :D
Whoop. Sorry. http://imgur.com/a/nC2Y4
Yeah, a heap of things are still floating around, so that's probably a good point: we should talk about the menu/hotbar relationship more first.

It was, in part, my reason for typing up the Settings menu: so that I could more easily rearrange it. :D
Oh you sneaky you :p What kind of redesigns are you thinking of?

Good job @Aditya.

@stefnotch,
It might be nice to have a banner with the Mod icon at the top of the page. The change-log spoiler button got lost in your copy-paste, and the chat commands are now doubly present with the old "Commands" spoiler button and the new Chat Commands menu. Perhaps it would be wise to reorder the information so that the overall stucture follows:

• Banner
  • Introductory text
  • Instructional download video (centre this)
  • Latest changes
  • Change log
  • Settings menu
  • Chat commands menu
  • Keyboard commands list
  • Bugs and liability dislaimers
  • Collation of suggested features
  • Credits
  • Download link
(I am assuming the posting webforms give you no option but to place attached files last)

Exciting news! Can't wait to see. In a previous post where you shared the .psd template for image textures, you made mention of
I don't see this. Also, since I don't know what you want the icons to be, or what the final list of items on the menu will be, I feel my hands a little tied here now.

Ok, rearranged it! It looks even better than it already did! :D Thanks!

Also, what should I use as the logo? The little tree with the cog?

If some day you're in a desperate need of ideas of features to implement, I have a minor one to suggest.

The dummy mechanisms I'm working on involve a lot of fast teleportation, so the sparkly graphical effects cause lag to the point where operating mechanisms lag significantly when you are close to them but function properly when you stay far.
It would be nice to have an option to remove that effect or to replace it with something less cpu intensive.
(like a single bright green pixel, so that you can tell visually if a teleporter was activated).

Also, being able to mute the sound effect of these teleporters would be nice.

EDIT:
Ok, that sounds like a good idea! :D

Of course you do, you are the first one to have that idea in the first place! :p

That problem makes me wonder what would happen if you get rid of the sparkle picture in the game files. (Though, I assume that the lag would still be as bad.)

Last edited:
If some day you're in desperate need for ideas of features to implement, I have a minor one to suggest.

The dummy mechanisms I'm working on involve a lot of fast teleportation, so the sparkly graphical effects cause lag to the point where operating mechanisms lag significantly when you are close to them but function properly when you stay far.
It would be nice to have an option to remove that effect or to replace it with something less cpu intensive.
(like a single bright green pixel, so that you can tell visually if a teleporter was activated).

Ok, that sounds like a good idea! :D (The first sentence made me laugh)

I second these ideas.

I don't know if this is any help, but it was "discovered" in the context of the animation mechanisms that F11 turns off the blackout effect of teleporters in Terraria. I'm not sure what F11 actually does, and F11 doesn't turn off the particle affect of teleportation, but it might help with processing load.

I second these ideas.

I don't know if this is any help, but it was "discovered" in the context of the animation mechanisms that F11 turns off the blackout effect of teleporters in Terraria. I'm not sure what F11 actually does, and F11 doesn't turn off the particle affect of teleportation, but it might help with processing load.

That's probably not going to help because I'm not teleporting myself, but the dummies are. I'll try it out anyway. But more knowledge is always fun to have, so I appreciate the advice.

The problem is, even one of my simple prototype build cause in theory (if I am correct) 5000 sparkly effects each second. That creates a dangerous lag zone. strangely enough, being in such a lag zone seems to stop graphics rendering and wiring updates, but not stuff like player movement. if I activate a bunch of teleporters at once while falling, once the freeze stop I'm a few bodylengths down relative to where I was.

Ok, rearranged it! It looks even better than it already did! :D Thanks!

Also, what should I use as the logo? The little tree with the cog?
Nice job!
Do you want the PNG of the logo? I suppose we should include the name of the mod itself.
That's probably not going to help because I'm not teleporting myself, but the dummies are. I'll try it out anyway. But more knowledge is always fun to have, so I appreciate the advice.

The problem is, even one of my simple prototype build cause in theory (if I am correct) 5000 sparkly effects each second. That creates a dangerous lag zone. strangely enough, being in such a lag zone seems to stop graphics rendering and wiring updates, but not stuff like player movement. if I activate a bunch of teleporters at once while falling, once the freeze stop I'm a few bodylengths down relative to where I was.
Ow. Sure, it'll be in the next build ... but that will be a while.

being in such a lag zone seems to stop graphics rendering and wiring updates, but not stuff like player movement.
Just out of curiosity as to why that's happening, was wiring completely stopped for the duration of the 'freeze'? Or was it just going really slowly? Did you have frame skip on? Wiring is updated in the Update function, not Draw, so unless something was overloaded and throwing an error that's pretty weird :/

The hotbar now has support for small submenu-y things. I'll try and get a good gfy and upload it. Also, I changed the textures to look nicer and more distinctly show when things are activated/clicked (srsly why do i bother writing code in the first place if i only delete it and rewrite it the next day smh).

edit: the texture processor doesn't remember the order it processed the textures, so it screws up the sourceRectangle values. gonna fix it and upload the gyf tomorrow, sorry. if i may quote myself:
(srsly why do i bother writing code in the first place if i only delete it and rewrite it the next day smh)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom