Resolved [PS4 & PS5] Map resets when the game is closed.

When you save and quit with a charater on a world then close the game.

Once you load up that character that is on the world your map resets entirely to be Re-explored.

No matter how many characters i make this always happens. It is very annoying since its easy to lose where shimmer is or the jungle temple.
Hi there @TechnicalSky there may be a fix coming. The console versions will soon be getting the 1.4.4.2 through 1.4.4.5 patches (that affected PC, console, and mobile) along with some bug fixes that affected just console and mobile. one of them being…
  • Fixed an issue where map data was not saving for players under certain conditions

The update has gone out to Mobile already. Here is the official word for when to hopefully expect it for console:
  • This update will be submitted to Console first parties shortly, just a few more tweaks needed there. We will share when those submissions go out (when we say shortly, think a day or two... depending on the weekend). As such, console players are more likely to get this next week.

If you’re still experiencing the same issue after getting this update, please post again. (If it’s fixed it for you, that would be great to know also).

Sadly the update that released monday for ps4 has not fixed the issue. It still resets the map sadly
Sorry to hear that @TechnicalSky. :(

If you wouldn’t mind, it would be great to get your files to the dev team so they can look into it better. If you’re up for it, this is what you’d do…

1. Copy ALL of your Terraria save files (all players and all worlds) to a USB from your PS4.
7D6D193C-5F53-4A8C-868F-987891BB4FBA.png

2. On a PC, zip the PS4 folder from the USB
3. Upload the zipped file here: Smartsheet Forms
(It’s an old form, so you can ignore the old text on it, but it will get your files to DR Studios)
4. After you upload, let me know and I’ll pass along the info so the devs know to look for your files.

I want to send em but my file is over 600mb while zipped. And there is a maximum file size i can submit.

If you wouldn’t mind, it would be great to get your files to the dev team so they can look into it better. If you’re up for it, this is what you’d do…

1. Copy ALL of your Terraria save files (all players and all worlds) to a USB from your PS4.

(It’s an old form, so you can ignore the old text on it, but it will get your files to DR Studios)
4. After you upload, let me know and I’ll pass along the info so the devs know to look for your fi

4. After you upload, let me know and I’ll pass along the info so the devs know to look for your files.
i think i figured out why maps aren't saving on ps4. I went through my saved data for map visibility and the recent worlds i have do not have this save! So i think there is a problem saving map data on ps4!

The last map visibility data i have is from 9/20/2021

So can you pass this to the team please!

Hi, I have also been experiencing this on my PS4. I have had my map visibility data wiped 5 times in the last month or so. Prior to October, I had been using the world for about a year without it happening.

If it helps, I have had this happen several times over the years. What I noticed was that going into and out of multiple worlds quickly or with different characters can make it happen. I play with my wife and whenever we want to move a bunch of stuff into a world from other worlds, it seems to trigger it.

Since we picked up on it, we have been using a single character in a single world and have not had any problems. In October I again started to condense some stuff into my primary world and now practically every time I log in the map visibility is reset.

The other thing that we noticed seems to trigger it is leaving the world while the game is still doing some type of calculations. The best example of this is messing with the bottom of the ocean or a bunch of sand and then doing the save and quit before everything has settled.

Hopefully some of that may be helpful!!

- Edit:
After scrolling through the threads some I see multiple other posts referencing this issue with responses detailing the problem is difficult to replicate.

One of the other things my wife and I picked up on is that it seems to occur in October every year. The time line stands out for a few reasons, my birthday is in October and multiple times now my map visibility has been erased on my birthday. Now my wife and I joke about it. In past years this lead to some “rage quitting” of the game, and so despite playing for years we never played during the xmas event until 2021, but we had played during the halloween event every year.

I know nothing about programming but I have wondered for a couple years now if it was something to do with all the pumpkins at halloween and how they “grow”. If they were growing while the game was saving, I was thinking that maybe it was creating the same problem as messing with the oceans where the game wasn’t saving entirely.

Again, hopefully that is helpful!!

Last edited:
Well this stuff has happened to me since 1.4 released on ps4. And like i said i think i found the issue.

Terraria is for some reason not saving the map visibility data for worlds after 1.4

This save is crucial for your map and if terraria or your ps4 doesnt save it then your map resets until the save is made which never happened!

I only use one character on one world per playthrough and it still happens as well as the save not occuring for the map visibility data.

My map visibility file does not get deleted. I have tried downloading the back up map visibility file from the PS4 online backup and that doesn’t work. I have even tried using a USB to save an extra copy, and when I download the visibility from there, it won’t fix it either.

If you wanted to try and trigger the map visibility error happening, I suggest opening a large map world that part of the map has been discovered. Go to the edge of the world and dig through the bottom of the ocean until you hit the bottom blocks of the underworld. Then dig all the way across the underworld at the bottom level.

When you get to the other side of the underworld, save and quit the map. Then close the terraria app on the PS4. I usually upload the copy of my files, then turn off the PS4. From there, you can turn it back on and when you load the map up again with the same character I would bet good money the visibility will be lost.

I never dig out my ocean like this. I just want the map to not reset everytime i play.

If you make a world and play like normal then save and quit while closing terraria to check your saves under terraria you might nice map visibility file is missing for said world. Its annoying.

Sorry for any confusion, I also would love for my map visibility to stop being lost!!

When I was reading through a few of the other threads describing the same end problem of losing map visibility, it seemed like they have been trouble triggering the error, which I assume helps them identify how to fix it.

My advice was based off things I noticed when doing large scale terrascaping. Last week I dug out the bottom rows of blocks in the underworld so that it would settle the lava across the entire world and make it easier for me to make a series of bridges at a single height. Not surprisingly to me, this triggered my map visibility being lost when I turned it on again the next day.

I've had this happen about 3-4 times on PS5 (PS4 version). It's not cloud save, not world switching, not any of the mentioned causes. I have one character, one large world that I mainly play. It seems like whenever I get a really large amount of the map revealed, next time I start it up, map is gone. I have cloud sync disabled for Terraria. I only manually back up to cloud from time to time, like before taking on a new boss. I've had the map reset several times not after a sync. After the last couple times it happened, I decided to religiously do the following procedure each time I am finishing up playing, hoping to head it off from happening again:

1) Save & Exit. 2) Immediately select same character, same world to load it. This is to verify the save file. 3) If I see the map load correctly, then I hit PS button to pull up the console menu. Force close game from console menu. 4) Upload the character and world to cloud.

This procedure, I thought, would allow me to see whether the map was saved correctly before backing up. Sadly, it did not work as expected. It worked for many days of play, but just now map reset. I had spent a long session while re-exploring the dungeon and farming post-plantera items, save/exit, reload without quitting the game, verified my new area of exploration was showing, quickly force quit without saving, uploaded to cloud. Reopened game, loaded character/world and it's blank. I assumed downloading the copy in the cloud back to console would get the map back because I had checked that save file before copying. However, it downloaded blank. Retried one more time after rebooting, same result.

I can upload this copy for analysis, if that is helpful, since it just freshly happened.

(Also, I haven't played Terraria for about a year prior to this. I never had this happen before, in older versions. Only since picking it back up last month or two has this happened.)

SethA, I feel your pain. I tried the EXACT same thing, and ended up with the same results.

The part that is really interesting to me, is the fact that when you download the old save file for the character and map visibility, it doesn't fix the problem. I even tried backing it up on a USB drive as well as online, neither way recovered the lost map visibility.

I can add a couple other things from my experiences. Firstly, I have had the problem happen with older versions of the game. I honestly am not sure how many years I have been playing, but it is definitely more than 5 years with 1,000's of hours put in. The second thing I can add, is that I have successfully 100% revealed a large map, and I went nearly a year afterwards before the visibility was lost. In fact, I had assumed that they had fixed the problem and was shocked the day it disappeared.

I also use primarily one character in one large world. My answer to this problem ended up being a ridiculous tunnel system that lets me rapidly go anywhere on the map quickly. This paired with Zenith and the map all the way out, makes lighting up the map again much quicker.

Thank for all the info, and we're sorry this is continuing to be an issue. We've been trying to repro this so we can fix this issue but we're still having a hard time internally getting map data to reset on our test consoles.

Is anyone able to copy their whole Terraria game files to a USB stick and zip up the whole PS4 folder on a pc so that we can look into this in more depth? Zipped files can be uploaded to Google drive or similar and DMed to me, that would be extremely helpful.

Just for info any files called 'map visibility data' is from 1.3 and in 1.4 we were not able to connect pre 1.3 map data due to making maps individual for players in 1.4. Map visibility data is never accessed by 1.4 and all new maps are called "Map 1" etc.
There is also a limit on the number of maps which can be saved on the PS4 due to file size reasons, so the oldest maps are removed if there are more that 45 map files in total. There is possibly a bug in this part of the system which causes the map data to become disconnected/overwritten but again, its hard for us to get this to happen so any help with files would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Roboarms

There is also a limit on the number of maps which can be saved on the PS4 due to file size reasons, so the oldest maps are removed if there are more that 45 map files in total. There is possibly a bug in this part of the system which causes the map data to become disconnected/overwritten but again, its hard for us to get this to happen so any help with files would be appreciated.

Thank you. I appreciate that you guys are responding and trying to work on this. I didn't realize until after my post that the "visibility" files were a separate file. And reading your response confirms this. I will try some more to replicate and get you the entire contents of the save games. I am at 30 map visibility files on my system, so not too close to the 45. What I did notice was this...

(sorry, I first have to explain one more detail about my cloud backup routing). Since I was lacking the knowledge of the map visibility files, I was only uploading the character and world files to cloud. Had I known what I know now, I would have been uploading the map visibility file(s) as well.

Anyway, when I was trying to re-download the two files from cloud hoping this would restore the map, I noted the date/time stamp on them. Since no one had played any other characters or worlds since last May, it was VERY easy to spot which map file was the one that was being saved. It was Map29 in my list of saved game data files. I noted the time stamp on it. Now here is the weird part. As I played a bit, then saved and exited, map29 didn't update this time. Instead it switched to map27. After saving and quitting several more times, it is definitely now using map27 as the visibility file, and map29 is just sitting there not changing anymore. I don't know if that is a valuable clue or not, but I do find that really weird.

One other random thought. Have you guys looked into whether sleep mode is related? I do know that in my last game session before it wiped out, I had put the PS5 to sleep, then played some more before finally saving/exiting.

Thank you,
Seth

Hi, I've just had this happen to me today. v1.4.4.9 Build 993 on a PS5. I can't provide saves right now as my laptop is broken but am eager to find a solution to this issue as it is actively impeding my progress.

Back
Top Bottom