tAPI Question About Content Allowed in Mods

Are we allowed to create a mod that adds content from other media?

For instance, let's say i want to make a mod that adds weapons from a different game; would it be allowed?

No, sadly it's not allowed.

EDIT: The most contents of games are copyrighted. Re-Logic wanted once to add the "Icemourne" - it's a weapon from World of Warcraft - but they had to remove it because of blizzard's rights. If you get the permission of the game creator it's allowed, otherwise not.

Last edited:
No, sadly it's not allowed.

EDIT: The most contents of games are copyrighted. Re-Logic wanted once to add the "Icemourne" - it's a weapon from World of Warcraft - but they had to remove it because of blizzard's rights. If you get the permission of the game creator it's allowed, otherwise not.
Thanks for the answer. It's a shame, really, that fair use doesn't apply here.

Actually it is allowed. You're making a non-profit mod not associated with Re-Logic in any way, so legally you can do whatever you want. To still be on the safe side, it's best to resprite the weapons yourself, though. Also, direct plagiarism is against the forum rules, so don't do that, but inspired things are fine.

I'm sure since you're not really making any money off of the mod then it's okay, but just be cautious before you decide what you're gonna make.

Anything redistributed, paid or free, containing material that is someone else's intellectual property legally does actually require permission (Pernangband being one case that hit a cease and desist that I can think of straight off the top of my head). I'm not entirely clear how far "fair use" stretches, but I suspect "including someone else's material in a mod that other people can download" is probably a part of the grey area that I wouldn't want to have to fight in a courtroom.

That said, it's rare that anyone actually does anything about stuff for fan based free things, so I'd either rename it / resprite it, but leave it obvious where the inspiration came from, or use something accurate, cite and credit both on the forums and on the credits of the mod itself, and I would have thought you'd be more than safe with it.

Back
Top Bottom