Game Mechanics Re-enable various enviromental hazards and add new ones; as well as active threats to your base.

I'd argue that this isn't primarily a game about building. It's really not (build is the last thing on the proported slogan.) Terraria is more of a metroidvania RPG of sorts with a sandbox base.

The removal of these features is why I quit the game the first time. It is ever much boring without them.

What I was saying about the crimson having it's own unique variant meant in both mechanics and appearance. Corruptor flies and shoots, and that's cool, but it would be much nicer if the Crimson-Spreader wasn't basically a Corruptor reskin (both flying, for instance)

While the game isn't only about building, it is a large aspect. While I understand that you're looking at this from a "hardcore gamer" viewpoint, I think you fail to understand the builder viewpoint. I don't build in Terraria, but I can understand why people don't want their builds destroyed; as they probably put tons of work into it. While a change like this would add to the metroidvania RPG, it would strip away from the sandbox.

As for the Corruptor variant, I can't tell from your last post whether you know Ichor Stickers are already a thing or not. Either way, I think they could work as a Crimson spreader.

I know about ichor stickers. I purchased this game on launch day and have been mostly around since.

Ichor sticker flies and shoots at you.
Corruptor flies and shoots at you.

See? Not a lot of variation.

They could work, yes, but I'd much rather have an enemy that functions and spreads differently than the Corrupter does.

I get some may not want that, however a lot of us really don't like the building aspect and typically only place down the bare minimum nessasary to carry us to MoonLord.

That's fair, although they do have different AIs; with Ichor Stickers having floating, as opposed to flying.
EDIT: Yes, I know they are very similar AIs.

Grounded or otherwise. Desert's is basically an immobile turret and doesn't really do the job effectively.

If you've ever played anything like Creeper World, you'd know I'm basically looking for some kind of Sisyphean task.

Crimson and Corruption should infect the jungle, not overwrite/destroy it, though.

[...] Not MINECRAFT. [...]
I find it odd you mention this in a derogatory way when Minecraft has every single environmental hazard you mentioned. Anyway...

No support. Terraria isn't the kind of game that destruction caused to player-made structures by things players can't control would fly. Use Overhaul and other mods to do it, sure, but adding them to Vanilla Terraria would be bad. In order:
Cacti Damaging Players: In a 3D game? Sure, you can walk around it. 2D? Not so much. The only way to cross a cactus without taking it up (which is fairly time-consuming if you don't just mine the Sand Block under it) is jumping over it, and early-game, most people won't have that option. Plus, if you're simply trying to sprint through the Desert to get to the Dungeon before nightfall? Cacti would be a nightmare; Every time you touched one, you'd be knocked back a couple of blocks, and you don't exactly have time to mine all of it. You'd either end up at the Dungeon horribly late or not as late and damaged, neither of which are good for a Skeletron battle. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if Cactus behaved like Thorns did, but it doesn't.

Clowns: People like building. People don't like having their stuff destroyed. People also don't like having to surround their bases in an ugly block like Dungeon/Lihzahrd Brick in order to prevent this destruction. That's why it was removed in the first place: The majority of players heavily disliked the feature, and Re-Logic removed it.

Lightning & Fire: Same as Clowns, really. It's never nice to have to cover your base in an ugly block so you won't have to rebuild it every other rainfall. This is especially prevalent in the case of houses or structures resembling Giant Trees; A layer of stone or similar on top completely ruins how it looks, and although you're most certainly not one of them, lots of people like building beautiful structures like these. This is also really bad for early-game when the most readily available building material is Wood and the best light source (one of the only ones, actually) is a torch.

So again, no support, but I'd recommend checking out this mod (warning: immediate download) for Corruptors.

Just remembered something (that I'm surprised I forgot), Corruptor spit regains the ability to corrupt blocks in Expert mode.

I find it odd you mention this in a derogatory way when Minecraft has every single environmental hazard you mentioned. Anyway...

No support. Terraria isn't the kind of game that destruction caused to player-made structures by things players can't control would fly. Use Overhaul and other mods to do it, sure, but adding them to Vanilla Terraria would be bad. In order:
Cacti Damaging Players: In a 3D game? Sure, you can walk around it. 2D? Not so much. The only way to cross a cactus without taking it up (which is fairly time-consuming if you don't just mine the Sand Block under it) is jumping over it Just place some sand down then. Can jump over it easily. Not a valid argument.

Clowns: People like building. People don't like having their stuff destroyed. People also don't like having to surround their bases in an ugly block like Dungeon/Lihzahrd Brick in order to prevent this destruction. That's why it was removed in the first place: The majority of players heavily disliked the feature, and Re-Logic removed it.
I heavily dislike building and that's not removed. Not an argument.

Lightning & Fire: Same as Clowns, really. It's never nice to have to cover your base in an ugly block so you won't have to rebuild it every other rainfall. This is especially prevalent in the case of houses or structures resembling Giant Trees; A layer of stone or similar on top completely ruins how it looks, and although you're most certainly not one of them, lots of people like building beautiful structures like these. This is also really bad for early-game when the most readily available building material is Wood and the best light source (one of the only ones, actually) is a torch.
Not an argument. Build a lightning rod.

So again, no support, but I'd recommend checking out this mod (warning: immediate download) for Corruptors.

this mind-numbing behavior is why I hate building; it's extremely dull and tedious.
I really don't like having to constantly build in the early game for some NPCs. I don't mind up and building once and a while as per progression, but it kills one's mood when one merely wants to set off on their own shennanigans and come back to base for scant moments just to offload your crap.

Last edited:
That's exactly why people don't want things to destroy their bases; Nobody wants to build their entire base again because it got hit by lightning when they were away.
That's exactly why I do want something to destroy my base. It's dull. It's boring. It's tedious. The only reason you'd ever do it is so NPCs spawn. Every damned time you start up a new world, you're forced to build. Okay. But I'd much rather just sod off and do my own thing right from the get-go.

I don't mind rebuilding my stuff. What I mind is the dull build in the start of the game before you can even do anything properly.

Let's also point out that there's got to be far more entertaining ways to deal with the Crimson/Corruption than just "spray at it or throw things at it." Otherworld has shown some form of repulsor/terraformer tech that does specifically this which you must defend. Having some sort of precursor to that would be much enjoyed.

As would the Crimson/Corruption infecting the Jungle instead of destroying it.

Last edited:
That's exactly why I do want something to destroy my base. It's dull. It's boring. It's tedious. The only reason you'd ever do it is so NPCs spawn. Every damned time you start up a new world, you're forced to build. Okay. But I'd much rather just sod off and do my own thing right from the get-go.

I don't mind rebuilding my stuff. What I mind is the dull build in the start of the game before you can even do anything properly.

Let's also point out that there's got to be far more entertaining ways to deal with the Crimson/Corruption than just "spray at it or throw things at it." Otherworld has shown some form of repulsor/terraformer tech that does specifically this which you must defend. Having some sort of precursor to that would be much enjoyed.

As would the Crimson/Corruption infecting the Jungle instead of destroying it.
I disagree with them adding this back completely, but as someone else earlier said, they could add it as a much more challenging mode. I myself experienced the clowns and the cacti and I agree it felt funner to me, but the majority of people don't like having to have wide pits by the sides of their house and having to protect exposed blocks. It would have to be a different, completely new mode in order to please everyone, because then it's an optional change. You don't want these changes forced on you out of nowhere. That would ruin the game for you. All they did was make Terraria more inviting for everyone. There's no need to be completely displeased with the game because those changes are missing. They just made the game more accessible to everyone. If you want the challenging aspects, why don't you download mods to bring it back? If your stuck on Xbox or Playstation, then its just too bad. The majority of players disliked these features so they were taken out. Just for an example, you are 1 of probably millions who play Terraria. Would they please and displease the rest of them or please them and displease you? Think of the majority.

"STOP HAVING DIFFRENT FUN THAT I SAY ISN'T FUN! I'M GONNA SAY YOU GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER GAME EVEN THOUGH THIS GAME ALREADY HAD THEM! WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
Whiner disregarded. Have a good day.
Well, you're also telling the rest of us to stop having fun in our different way than yours. But anyway, think you could drop the ad hominem attacks and stick to facts and points?

Also the game originally released without any tile-destroying or altering mobs, with only pre-hardmode corruption spread which was never a problem, and meteorites which could be remedied with a sky bridge or enough placed meteorite somewhere to block spawns. So the game began relatively builder-friendly, and so when 1.1 hit, it was a big slap in the face to all builders because with absolutely no warning, the game now had bomb-throwing enemies that could wreck builds (just think of those who had lava or water tanks). For the building side of the game, it was a very poor design choice, and as for the combat side of the game.. blowing up a few tiles offers no real challenge, and would often leave craters around your world where you didn't see a clown spawn. I personally didn't find patching up chunks of dirt really fun, and I think the majority of the community also disliked it.

For those who did enjoy the feature however, this functionality feels more appropriate for a mod, rather than forced on the majority who dislike it in the main game.

It's "Dig. Fight. Build." you utter philistine. Having been here since launch day and having to deal with whining kiddies such as yourself, I can easily say stripping out these KEY GAMEPLAY MECHANICS was a poor idea.
Again with ad hominems, and I began playing just a couple days after release, and found it disappointing they ever implemented this feature. Reminds me of when they made ash and mud have a chance to collapse, but I actually found that less painful than dealing with clown craters.

This is Terraria, where combat and progression are the focus. Not MINECRAFT. If I want to actually have to defend my base or manage situations well, I better goddamn well have the option to.
Building is also a focus of the game, and tile destruction was not a popular feature among most players. I think I saw a mod or two that re-enabled them if you'd like to play.

Wandering around the corruption/crimson and suddenly getting ambused by the Brain or an Eater of Worlds was both heavily engaging and entertaining.
The world's evils shouldn't just SIT AROUND AND WAIT for you to wipe them out (of which there is no benefit or reward for doing so)
Well, why? The jungle, underworld, snow, desert, and dungeon biomes don't spread throughout the world. I've never been a fan of spread and I don't know why these weaker biomes should have this effect. Cleaning up spread is about as fun as cleaning up spilled glitter on a carpet by hand.

Or at least allow you to build in the corruption/crimson and house NPCs there after a good slap in the face. (They'll house literally anywhere but. This includes situations which are directly harmful to them, but if the grass is purple or red they won't do anything even though seconds later they were having a lava bath? What gives?)
I can agree with this part, as it's not a building-friendly feature, and then there's the chance corruption/crimson will spawn over your NPC house, which happened to me once.

Anyway yeah, I think it's safe to say these features will never return, and they were removed with good reason, as most of the community did not like them. And it would be a much more simple solution to have the very few who did enjoy these features to download a mod, rather than the vast majority needing one to disable.

I think adding things that can destroy what you’ve made is a huge step backwards. I hate having to worry about meteorites and the initital burst of Hallow/Corruption at the start of hardmode, I don’t need more garbage to worry about.

From what I can gather, you don’t understand that building in this game is an art form. The creations that people produce is the result of skill, time, and effort. You seem to think that because you specifically don’t care about building, nobody else should use their time to focus on it, either. That’s not the case and it’s kind of gross. I get that you only want to make a few boxes for you NPCs at the start, but the building in this game is far more complicated than that and punishing players for creating elaborate structures is not a good idea.

The value people place on their art is huge. I know when I build something, it’s a part of me and I’m proud of it. I don’t think that should be taken away.

Even the smaller things you’ve mentioned like cacti dealing damage isn’t great. I’ve used cacti before as decoration and it would be irritating for it to deal damage.

Also, why would you want to have to restart the building process due to some random lightning strike if you find the building process to be dull and boring? That’s just another tedious task for you, which would detract from you doing what you want to do.

I think adding things that can destroy what you’ve made is a huge step backwards. I hate having to worry about meteorites and the initital burst of Hallow/Corruption at the start of hardmode, I don’t need more garbage to worry about.

From what I can gather, you don’t understand that building in this game is an art form. The creations that people produce is the result of skill, time, and effort. You seem to think that because you specifically don’t care about building, nobody else should use their time to focus on it, either. That’s not the case and it’s kind of gross. I get that you only want to make a few boxes for you NPCs at the start, but the building in this game is far more complicated than that and punishing players for creating elaborate structures is not a good idea.

The value people place on their art is huge. I know when I build something, it’s a part of me and I’m proud of it. I don’t think that should be taken away.

Even the smaller things you’ve mentioned like cacti dealing damage isn’t great. I’ve used cacti before as decoration and it would be irritating for it to deal damage.

Also, why would you want to have to restart the building process due to some random lightning strike if you find the building process to be dull and boring? That’s just another tedious task for you, which would detract from you doing what you want to do.
I feel like that quite effectivelly sums up the entire argument from us all, thank you for the synopsis.

Back
Top Bottom