Game Mechanics Re-enable various enviromental hazards and add new ones; as well as active threats to your base.

How about I settle this flame war with this:

There should be a feature enabling environmental hazards on world creation, so if you want to make a builder's world you can, and if you want to play with environmental hazards you can as well.

Reviving the thread due to Otherworld's death, and therefore the proposition that many of it's concepts could be rolled into terraria; especially the prospect of early-game, upgradable Outposts that repel the corruption/crimson and protect areas from them. This would assume that 100% of Biomes can be entirely infected; rather than destroying them like in the case of the Jungle, and make building much more entertaining to those who don't care for it- and delicately intertwining combat and building to be fluid :cool:

I feel like that quite effectivelly sums up the entire argument from us all, thank you for the synopsis.
But it doesn't do a proper counter-argument for it either. I'd much rather Combat and Building be closely intertwined, rather than separate. That's the point I'm trying to make. It should be fluid, transitional. You should be able to set up a bunch of elaborate equipment to keep it at bay. Building isn't quite as entertaining as it would be if, say, one could take those typical arenas and force bosses in them to play by -your- rules. Turrets and stuff. You know? Clentaminator is kind of a "spray away" which wouldn't be as entertaining nor capable of merging combat and building seamlessly into eachother as it would be, say, dedicated equipment to keep the Corruption/Crimson/Hallow away in a specified distance, or act as terraformers.

Why should we, who wish our building choices and layouts to actually matter, be punished by those on the end of the spectrum who don't want to opt for cool gameplay mechanics? (asteroid/meteor fragment rain, lightning, wildfires, floods, volcanic eruptions, tornados, explosives, etc.)

But it doesn't do a proper counter-argument for it either.
Jetstream's post was full of good points but the good counter is right here:

I get that you only want to make a few boxes for you NPCs at the start, but the building in this game is far more complicated than that and punishing players for creating elaborate structures is not a good idea.

The value people place on their art is huge. I know when I build something, it’s a part of me and I’m proud of it. I don’t think that should be taken away.

The game's not all about combat and it's good to have downtime to let players build and have fun. Forcing players to rebuild or to build in a certain way subtracts from building possibilities.

I'd much rather Combat and Building be closely intertwined, rather than separate. That's the point I'm trying to make. It should be fluid, transitional. You should be able to set up a bunch of elaborate equipment to keep it at bay. Building isn't quite as entertaining as it would be if, say, one could take those typical arenas and force bosses in them to play by -your- rules. Turrets and stuff. You know? Clentaminator is kind of a "spray away" which wouldn't be as entertaining nor capable of merging combat and building seamlessly into eachother as it would be, say, dedicated equipment to keep the Corruption/Crimson/Hallow away in a specified distance, or act as terraformers.

Why should we, who wish our building choices and layouts to actually matter, be punished by those on the end of the spectrum who don't want to opt for cool gameplay mechanics? (asteroid/meteor fragment rain, lightning, wildfires, floods, volcanic eruptions, tornados, explosives, etc.)

Because you are in the very small minority, and to revert or make your desired changes would be punishing the majority of players. I mean, when it was announced that clowns and corruptors had lost their damaging effects, it was treated like a FEATURE. I find it almost comparable to the "feature" of no tripping in Smash 4. The majority of players also did not enjoy tripping, and so it was removed. Same thing with mud and ash falling, same thing with clowns, and same thing with corruptors.

There are mods for you to play, I know that Overhaul mod also has spreading wildfires and maybe more.

I stopped reading when you completely disregarded what I said when you quoted me.

All he did was basically bash the idea just because "muh build i spent 30 hours on" even though countermeasures are significantly provided several times.

I stopped reading when you completely disregarded what I said when you quoted me.

But it did. You want these changes for your combat-focused style of play, but the game is more than just combat. It is a game about building and what you are wanting will lessen the building experience for builders.

And you completely disregarded my first response. And if you actually read my entire second post rather than stopping, maybe you would see my and our argument. Of course if you stop reading half way, you're going to miss stuff. You are in the small minority here, so again, your best bet is to download a mod as these mods do exist. That way you can get what you want, and the vast majority can stay happy.

Since we're just going to disregard eachother's entire post
But it did.
No, it didn't. All he did was bash the idea of it's inclusion. Just like everybody else who isn't playing this game for the gameplay.

Seems most of you would rather only the building aspect instead of any combat, making this little more than a minecraft clone. Simpletons!

Behavior like this is why Otherworld being cancelled may of been a good thing; philistines would have ruined it; just like core Terraria.

No, it didn't. All he did was bash the idea of it's inclusion. Just like everybody else who isn't playing this game for the gameplay.
Hey, you began with ignoring the entirety of my first post. And most of my second, and now my third, and now probably my forth as well.

We have been addressing the points you have been making, but just because you disagree with them does not mean they are not counterpoints. As for him "bashing" your idea, I don't think he ever did. I didn't see any insults of any kind. I saw him stick to objective points as to why these features would harm the game. You know.. criticism.

You argue "We should have A" and we argue "But A would harm the game because of X, Y, and Z" and then you reply with "You didn't say why it would harm" (even though we JUST did) and "But that's bashing"... while being the only one who has slung ad hominem attacks. If you suggest A, it is only logical for the opposing side to point out why A is wrong. That IS what a counter-argument is, and it doesn't stop being one because you claim it isn't, along with ignoring posts and other points of the counter-argument. If you refuse to read counter-arguments, it will appear that there is no counter-argument, simply because you are not wanting to read. This is not arguing. This is you yelling your points while insulting, then covering your ears when the other side puts their word in. A "counter" of "Yeah, but still." would hold more strength than what you are giving out right now, as that at least shows acknowledgment of points.

I am up to argue but if you refuse to argue at all, then there is no argument to be had. You are cherry-picking single sentences of a dozen and ignoring the rest because the rest is what inconveniences your argument. Which devolves it into a non-argument. So there is nothing more to argue here, as you have backed off and refuse to continue. And because of that, then that's that. The lack of support here should be indicative. Unless you reply with a proper rebuttal, I'm wasting no more time with this non-argument.
Z5HaIfV.png

S'AraisVanu, it should be clear to you by now that your vision of what the game should be does not match with most of the playerbase. I'm sure you can understand that a game like Terraria owes it to its players to release updates that make the game more enjoyable for most.

Players like you, who clearly want a more intense, uncertain, and survival-focused game, could always turn to the modding community. But trying to force your preferences upon the millions (!) of people who own a copy of vanilla Terraria is not going to go over well.

S'AraisVanu, it should be clear to you by now that your vision of what the game should be does not match with most of the playerbase. I'm sure you can understand that a game like Terraria owes it to its players to release updates that make the game more enjoyable for most.

Players like you, who clearly want a more intense, uncertain, and survival-focused game, could always turn to the modding community. But trying to force your preferences upon the millions (!) of people who own a copy of vanilla Terraria is not going to go over well.
Oh the hilarious irony considering we were originally the majority; and we were pushed off of the terraria online forums because we shared this viewpoint.

Oh the hilarious irony considering we were originally the majority; and we were pushed off of the terraria online forums because we shared this viewpoint.
I would quite suprised if that was so, seeing as this thread has over 500 views and not a single like, and concepts like this were never called out due to how common they were, unlike the guy who's eye and brain you fight (I dare not say his name on the suggestions section).

Times change, and Terraria has evolved into a more forgiving and newbie-friendly game overall.

I think your creative energy would be better used towards suggesting a new game mode, like a “masochist mode” to go with normal and expert. Or even a new player-initiated event, like a defensive architect’s version of the Old One’s Army. There’s definitely some potential in ideas like that.

Everyone, it’s starting to get heated here. Let’s try to remember that everyone can have their opinion of what the game should be, what would (or wouldn’t) be fun, and respect someone else’s opinion even if it’s different than your own.

A suggestion does not have to be supported by the community for it to have a place on this forum. Whether you like it or not is fine. It can still stand next to all the other suggestions that are here.

State your opinion, be respectful towards each other, and know that - no matter what anyone’s thoughts on a suggestion may be - the developers will decide what belongs in the game.

@S'AraisVanu If you want a more unforgiving experience, I recommend trying a game called Dig or Die. I feel like Terraria is perfectly fine without such environmental hazards. A large portion of the community, myself included, found them not as fun, but as tedious. The game Terraria as a whole, has two major aspects, which are combat and building. They go hand-in-hand. If you want to build, you have to fight to get some of the better materials. If you want to fight, building an arena gives you a boost. Removing one aspect hurts the game as a whole. They're not saying they want to remove difficulty, they just want to keep the game as it is right now. I apologize if I seem a little blunt, but I feel like it's a little necessary in order to get my point across.

Seems most of you would rather only the building aspect instead of any combat, making this little more than a minecraft clone. Simpletons!

Behavior like this is why Otherworld being cancelled may of been a good thing; philistines would have ruined it; just like core Terraria.
Wasn't Otherworld cancelled specifically because basic implementations of these concepts was sucking the fun out of it? Also why do you not considering building gameplay? Having to platform over cacti isn't really skillful and intensely hardcore, as you seem to think it is. Someone isn't a better gamer because they can do menial tasks like that. I mean, even concepts similar to this, like thorns, are just annoyances, not valued features currently. Now imagine if lightning took out half your hearts at random while simply walking.

Quite the opposite considering the entire game was based around the basic implementations of these concepts.
I feel like you're being very selective about what you respond to. You mentioned the first part, but you completely ignored:
Also why do you not considering building gameplay? Having to platform over cacti isn't really skillful and intensely hardcore, as you seem to think it is. Someone isn't a better gamer because they can do menial tasks like that. I mean, even concepts similar to this, like thorns, are just annoyances, not valued features currently. Now imagine if lightning took out half your hearts at random while simply walking.
I'd recommend at least acknowledging its existence.

Quite the opposite considering the entire game was based around the basic implementations of these concepts.
...hence why it wasn't enjoyable or going well, and was eventually cancelled..

All he did was basically bash the idea just because "muh build i spent 30 hours on" even though countermeasures are significantly provided several times.

Mocking people who disagree with you makes NOBODY want to agree with you. Saying all I did was bash your ideas is blatantly false. Saying that my only argument is "muh build i spent 30 hours on" is unbelievably childish and false.

Countermeasures are extremely tedious to set up. For every build. What if I don't want lightning rods everywhere, or have no desire to set up a complex water system for a todur style house or village? Ah yes, allow me to just dump these technologies for a house style that originated in the middle ages. What is the point of implementing these dangers if they're all negated down the line though tedious work anyway? I just spent literally 5+ hours cutting up my latest world into 10 sections so the corruption and hallow are contained and don't destroy everything. I really would not enjoy having more garbage to worry about.

I don't think a single person on this thread has agreed with you that implementing naturally occurring griefing mechanisms is beneficial for the game. You need to take a colossal step back and look at why that is.

Whether it be your disdainful attitude to everyone you have spoken to, the barebones content of the original post, the usefulness of the actual suggestion, or using every false equivalent you can possibly find (wanting your home to not be obliterated by a lightning strike does not equate to not wanting to have combat within the game. I still have no idea how you drew that conclusion.)

I can't lay it out any clearer for you, bud.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom