Game Mechanics Recipes Involving Altars

I always found it a bit annoying that you couldn't just change ebonstone to stone from my inventory, I had to place it all back down and break out my clentaminator. Well one thing lead to another and I had a few ideas.

First of all a different version of demon and crimson altars will now be able to be crafted with 50 ebonstone/crimstone and 6 souls of night at a hardmode anvil. These altars don't create ores when broken. They are broken using a pickaxe.
index.php

index.php

Next there will be a new type of altar that only you can make, it requires 50 pearlstone and 6 souls of light at a hardmode anvil. I'll get to the purpose of it in a moment.
index.php

The varieties of altar now have several new crafting recipes which mostly come into play during hardmode. The crafting recipes are simple, one of any corrupted block at the holy altar (name unimportant) can be turned into the base version of it (so ebonstone to stone). The pure versions of the block can be turned to the hallowed version with a similar recipe, one stone to one pearlstone for free at the altar. The recipes are pretty much the same for the other types of altar, one pearlstone to one stone at a demon altar and one stone to one ebonstone at the altar. This is the same for ice and sand so changing from one variety to another is free.

Now for something a little more interesting.

Demonite/crimtane bars can be turned to lead at the holy altar. You might be wondering why lead, well it's because it has several recipes involving it for decorative items. Hallowed bars may be turned to iron at the demon altar. There's three mech bosses so you're likely going to have some to spare, what are you going to do with those anyway? Of course that wasn't originally my idea but I forgot who first tried something of that nature. A quick note this is a one way transformation, you can't use this to skip to hallowed.

Before someone tries to say the whole argument of you being able to get the iron through fishing, mining, or using the extractionator I have something to say. This also has the additional purpose of making those materials useful again.

Sprites for this were provided by @S4nders

Last edited:
Very nice. Here are some sprites and alternate recipes:
demo.png
Demon Altar: 40
Ebonstone_Block.png
, 8
Soul_of_Night.gif
, 25
Unholy_Water.png

crim.png
Crimson Altar: 40
Crimstone_Block.png
, 8
Soul_of_Night.gif
, 25
Blood_Water.png

- Crafted at a hardmode anvil, or an actual altar. I don't know what would be better.
- It's still quite cheap, but expensive enough for what you use it for.
- These can be destroyed with pickaxes instead of hammers. Using a hammer on them will do nothing.
As you can see the altars appear to be a little smaller - I made them to be 2x2 instead of 3x2. It seems odd to have one altar be able to spawn ores and the other not be so it should be a noticeable difference.
holy.png
Holy Altar: 40
Pearlstone_Block.png
, 8
Soul_of_Light.gif
, 25
Holy_Water.png

It functions like you said it would. On a side note, I think there should also be a 3x2 (natural, unobtainable) version of the holy altar which would spawn ores. The only way to obtain it would be to turn a natural demon/crimson altar into a holy altar by means of clentaminating (or similar). It would also work vice versa. Again, they would not spawn naturally.

One more thing: Make sure the ingots turn into iron in worlds with iron ore and lead for worlds with lead ore. Besides, you should probably get more than 1 iron/lead bar from a hallowed bar.

The only way to obtain it would be to turn a natural demon/crimson altar into a holy altar by means of clentaminating (or similar).
Or maybe have them spawn on sky islands with the proposal by @Snickerbobble hey Snickerbobble please post a link that I'm too lazy to track down
One more thing: Make sure the ingots turn into iron in worlds with iron ore and lead for worlds with lead ore. Besides, you should probably get more than 1 iron/lead bar from a hallowed bar.
I don't know if that'll be possible. As for the thing of more than one bar I'm going to have to say no, but then again my point of view is a little skewed. I have thrown away full stacks of them because I had too much already.

index.php

Very good. Very nice. This would definitely be something I'd like to see in-game! :D

One question though: What about Lead? Maybe the Evil Bars could be used to make Lead while Hallowed Bars could make Iron? (I know that Lead is a bit better than Iron, but after defeating the Wall of Flesh the difference is meaningless, and Lead is the darker of the two metals.)

Anyways, you should add sprites to the main post (even if they're just for the recipes) because they make suggestion posts a bit easier to digest. Throw in some color! I don't know, but do something so that this isn't buried and forgotten! :)

index.php

Very good. Very nice. This would definitely be something I'd like to see in-game! :D

One question though: What about Lead? Maybe the Evil Bars could be used to make Lead while Hallowed Bars could make Iron? (I know that Lead is a bit better than Iron, but after defeating the Wall of Flesh the difference is meaningless, and Lead is the darker of the two metals.)

Anyways, you should add sprites to the main post (even if they're just for the recipes) because they make suggestion posts a bit easier to digest. Throw in some color! I don't know, but do something so that this isn't buried and forgotten! :)
I would but adding sprites on a phone is irritating enough in an area with a good cell signal, let alone in the middle of nowhere where I'm at.

Yeah sure, evil bars making lead could work.

The bars should be able to be crafted into both lead and iron bars, as there is are a few uses in which it would make sense to choose one of them (Namely, doors and fences).

The bars should be able to be crafted into both lead and iron bars, as there is are a few uses in which it would make sense to choose one of them (Namely, doors and fences).
I don't really want to add multiple recipes. In the unlikely event that the developers do accept this they can make changes as they wish.

Well, I hope you do like the sprites as they're made for you specifically.
And, yes, you're probably correct that Hallowed Bars should just give 1 iron.
If you don't want a world specific recipe, just make Demonite/Crimtane bars turn into Lead, no matter the world. It does indeed seem like an agreeable option as they are darker.

Well, I hope you do like the sprites as they're made for you specifically.
And, yes, you're probably correct that Hallowed Bars should just give 1 iron.
If you don't want a world specific recipe, just make Demonite/Crimtane bars turn into Lead, no matter the world. It does indeed seem like an agreeable option as they are darker.
Ah I will add the sprites, likely when I get to a better signal.

Sorry for the accidental triple post. Occasionally this happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom