PC Recovering Lost Worlds & Characters

I made a video how to restore the backup!

i was watching this video to try to get back a world and a player but my files look entirely different
i dont have a bak file, only a bak2 file, thats called *worldname*.wld, theres 2 of those, the original world (i think it is) is just the name, no bak or wld

and i also have a file thats *worldname*.wld but on the side thing of the files it says its a bad file?

im confused

i was watching this video to try to get back a world and a player but my files look entirely different
i dont have a bak file, only a bak2 file, thats called *worldname*.wld, theres 2 of those, the original world (i think it is) is just the name, no bak or wld

and i also have a file thats *worldname*.wld but on the side thing of the files it says its a bad file?

im confused

heres an image of what i mean
1611444596238.png

Ok this is probably a simple problem, but my main character for single player, Epilogue, and my main for multiplayer, moon peasant, just disappeared. The files are still there, so I don't understand why they are not in my character menu. Can someone help ASAP?

im confused
In the Explorer window there are some Tabs with various options. one of them should enable you to see file extensions. Please enable that (and keep it enabled from now on, you are better off that way).

World files have the extension .wld at the end. There should also be one or more files ending with ".wld.bak" or ".wld.bak2" and so on. Whenever the game saves it add a .bak extension to the previous save so it can be used as a backup in case something goes wrong. With 1.4 you can have more than one backup so you may have .bak2 .bak3 (and so on) files as well. It's possible to configure how many backups you want to keep by editing WorldRollbacksToKeep in config.json (default is 2).

One of your files ends with the .bad extension. When the game tried to load that file it discovered that something is wrong with it, so it added the extension and is now ignoring it.

I think the game will use an older (.bak) save automatically now, if for some reason it's unable to use a more recent one. Previously you had to deal with that yourself by renaming the file (removing the .bak part).

Ok this is probably a simple problem, but my main character for single player, Epilogue, and my main for multiplayer, moon peasant, just disappeared. The files are still there, so I don't understand why they are not in my character menu. Can someone help ASAP?
See if you have any .bak files. Please also see my answer above as it might give you some insight what to do.

Back
Top Bottom