Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgraded Current System

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • None, The Current Ones Are Fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CutieMonica

Terrarian
(totally not related to my last post) The way music boxes function in their current form in Terraria is, well, it leaves much to be desired. For starters, I have a few different ways of going about this, 2 of them entirely different ways for the music box to function, and one of them just on how to make the current ones a little more fun to use. For such a small feature in the game that only completionists really pay attention to, you'd think there wouldn't be this much to improve on them, but, well, here are my suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Make it more of a fun challenge
The way music boxes function now, a lot of the challenge comes in waiting for a long time just for a single music box, I timed how long it took me to get the blood moon music box in a single attempt, and it was around 7 minutes, for one of 40+ music boxes. So I propose, to capture the song you first put the music box in your Hotbar, then hold down left-click, you hold up the music box in your hand and a countdown from 30 starts, after the 30-second countdown, you get the song, but if you hit something, get hit by something, or switch off the music box, then it fails and you don't get the song. This would be a lot more fun of a mechanic in my opinion, where the current music box lacks in any required skill and more just required patience, this would emphasize either skillful dodging or skillful thinking to not hit something or get hit in this timeframe.

Suggestion 2: Every music box can be crafted
A system of music boxes where you have to take items from that biome or boss and combine them with a music box to make the song would be interesting, for example, you can take Lenses, Crimtane/Demonite ore, and seeds, then you get the Boss 1 Music (could also be applied to drops from skeletron, duke fishron etc.) Or, you have to take Mud blocks, Jungle grass and Stingers to make a Jungle music box, Or take all 4 of the Essences from the pillars to make the pillars music. There is so many ways to get creative with a concept of just being able to craft them, and it can easily work alongside the current system, and be faster than having to dodge Queen Bee for 5 minutes just to get her music.

Suggestion 3: Same system, but a little less frustrating.
First of all, the current music cap is way too long, the only one I've heard is 10 minutes on some versions, but that leads me to believe that all other versions have no cap at all. I think the RNG should pick between around 10 seconds to 2 minutes for biomes, 10 seconds to 1 minute for events, and 10 seconds to 30 seconds for bosses. I've never had the desire to collect music boxes asap, so im usually in endgame armor by the time I do want to, which means a lot of the time, my gear itself ends up hurting the boss I'm trying to get the music from, I nearly killed Queen Bee with only solar armor. Bosses should not take long at all to capture the music from, you could say the long time limit adds to the challenge of dodging them, but it gets annoying quick. Another suggestion is adding a visual indicator when the song gets caught, its annoying to check your inventory a ton to see if you got the music box or not, and that could be resolved simply by having music notes appear near the player when the music was recorded. My third and final addition is simply letting us purchase a random music box with music already recorded, either from the traveling merchant or the party girl since both make sense to have that. Anyways, thank you for reading my ramblings about this small mechanic!

Update: they made it give you an indication that the music box recorded, thats all from I can see, Still a good improvement tho! keep it up, relogic! :)

Last edited:
Another suggestion could be to make it have a certain drop chance from enemies in hardmode. 5% from EoC, .5% from Blood Moon enemies, etc. But I don't like the current music box method, so any of these ideas could work. I especially like the 30-second one. :dryadwink:

Another suggestion could be to make it have a certain drop chance from enemies in hardmode. 5% from EoC, .5% from Blood Moon enemies, etc. But I don't like the current music box method, so any of these ideas could work. I especially like the 30-second one. :dryadwink:
I really like this idea too! given that music boxes sell for a bit anyway, this also wouldn't make people who don't care for them feel upset either.
a little side note, its post moon-lord in my terraria playthrough and i decided to start collecting all the music boxes which is what spawned this thread. It took 4 and a half hours to get every single music box (underground hallow not included since i had it) including the title screen one, and it was also very, very boring. (Edit, actually 5 hours cause I forgot sandstorm and alt underground lol, but yeah that was 30ish minutes for TWO SONGS! `-_-)

Last edited:
As someone who has recorded all songs, I can very much agree that the randomness of the duration makes it really annoying. Especially with bosses and events it can be very tedious.

I like option 3 the most, but I could see it work a little different. For events without a fixed duration (meaning invasions) and all bosses, the point of recording could be the "event complete" or "Boss has been defeated". No more extending the boss fight to give the music box enough time.

The remaining events with a fixed duration, meaning moon events and the solar eclipse and all biomes can just have a fixed duration of 1-2 minutes for recording a song. Might sound long, but when you're completing one of them anyway, you can just pop one on and get it done. IT will also work this way whenever recording from another music box.

Update: they made it give you an indication that the music box recorded, thats all from I can see, Still a good improvement tho! keep it up, relogic! :)

Back
Top Bottom