Weapons & Equip Scale Armor/Accessory/Potion

TreeSpawn

Golem
The concept here is pretty simple: as the player takes damage, their base defense drops, but their base attack increases, and as the player deals damage, their attack will drop, and their defense will rise. The more damage taken/given the more dramatic the change in the effects. Self inflicted damage, spikes, Mobs spawned from a statue, and over damage, does not affect the effects.

I had two ideas, one where it was end-game armor or a super rare mid-game accessory.

As Armor:
  • The individual pieces of armor have no effect, the player will only befit if the entire set is worn.
  • The armor turns purple as the player gains more defense, and red for high attack.
  • Perhaps different helms to add different effects. (e.g. Attack+Critical Strike Chance/Defense+Speed or Attack+HP Regen/Defense+Life Steal Amount et cetra)
  • Made from Chrolo + Glowing Mushrooms + Ectoplasm + Beetle Husks?
  • I have no idea what it would be named.

As An Accessory:
  • Drops from The Golem (1/70 drop rate)
  • Could be named "Ancient Scale of the Lizahrd"
  • In appearance, it would look like a pan scale but made of the same rock as Lihzahrd Bricks.
  • Can be reforged with other accessories
    • Only can be reforged with two other items
    • Once reforged, the items can not be reverted
    • The first reforge will apply to the "Attack" part of the scale (e.g. Attack+Movement Speed/Defense)
    • The second reforge will apply to the "Defense" part of the scale (e.g. Attack+Movement Speed/Defense+HP regen)
  • Reforging goes as fallows:
      • Hermes/Flurry Boots/Panic Necklace > Movement Speed
      • Band of Regeneration > HP Regeneration Rate
      • Band of Starpower > Mana Regeneration Rate
      • Eye of the Golem > Crt Strike Chance
      • Feral Claws > Melee Speed
      • Magic Quiver > % To Not Consume Ammo
      • Power Glove > Knockback %
      • Tackle Box > Chance to not Consume Bait
      • Lucky Coin > Value of Coins on Drop
      • Hercules Beetle > Minion Damage
        • Note: This seems a little too much for the Reforging system, but whatever.

As a Potion:
  • Made with: Chaos Fish + Ebonkoi/Hemopiranha + Blink Root(x5) + Day Bloom(x5) + Water Bottle
  • Lasts 5 minuets
  • The hue of the player will change from red to purple depending on the Attack/Defense ratio, respectively.
  • Once the effects are over, the player will have a "Power Poisoning" Debuff.
    • Power Poisoning decreases all stats by 5%
    • Lasts 1 minuet
    • (May need to be balanced)
  • Would look like a red a purple Ying and Yang
Thanks for reading!

Edit: changed the drop rate from 0.05%-0.50% to 1/70 drop rate. Rarity and value of things is not my forte, sorry! :dryadgrin:

Last edited:
So let's say you have a sniper rifle and a "captured" slime, not a stone statue slime, but a naturally spawning one that you trap in a little area, you let it beat the crap out of you- then you snipe a boss?

Do I get a cookie for abuse? :D

In all seriousness, I like the idea a lot. Support +1 from me.

Though if the armor effect was on an accessory that might be even better- none the less I like the idea. C:

So let's say you have a sniper rifle and a "captured" slime, not a stone statue slime, but a naturally spawning one that you trap in a little area, you let it beat the crap out of you- then you snipe a boss?

Do I get a cookie for abuse? :D

In all seriousness, I like the idea a lot. Support +1 from me.

Though if the armor effect was on an accessory that might be even better- none the less I like the idea. C:

Thanks!
Have a cookie! :cookie:

What do you mean by the armor effect?

Thanks!
Have a cookie! :cookie:

What do you mean by the armor effect?

Yesss, cookie for me! *oms happily.*

Ah, well- the effect of the armor is as you said "as the player takes damage, their base defense drops, but their base attack increases, and as the player deals damage, their attack will drop, and their defense will rise."

Personally it sounds like something along the lines of a berserker item. Usually beserkers give up defense to gain attack, and then when they attack they lose it over time and gain defense. I want that effect in an accessory, although a beserker armor sounds just as good; as an accessory it might be too over powered. x3

Yesss, cookie for me! *oms happily.*

Ah, well- the effect of the armor is as you said "as the player takes damage, their base defense drops, but their base attack increases, and as the player deals damage, their attack will drop, and their defense will rise."

Personally it sounds like something along the lines of a berserker item. Usually beserkers give up defense to gain attack, and then when they attack they lose it over time and gain defense. I want that effect in an accessory, although a beserker armor sounds just as good; as an accessory it might be too over powered. x3

Oh! That applies to all three of the above ideas (Berserker Armor (As I'll call it now), Ancient Scale of the Lizahrd (The Accessory version) and a Generic potion version). Sorry if that wasn't clear. :dryadtongue:

Oh! That applies to all three of the above ideas (Berserker Armor (As I'll call it now), Ancient Scale of the Lizahrd (The Accessory version) and a Generic potion version). Sorry if that wasn't clear. :dryadtongue:

Oh, okay that makes more sense! No worries, and nice! :D

You understand that 0.05% chance means 1/2000 chance from a boss, right? Otherwise, a lot of this sound good. I'll post a better review when I'm not on a mobile device.

You understand that 0.05% chance means 1/2000 chance from a boss, right? Otherwise, a lot of this sound good. I'll post a better review when I'm not on a mobile device.
Yeah... now I'm thinking that that's not going to fly very well with a lot of people. I was unsure what was reasonable for something like this. 1/300?

Yeah... now I'm thinking that that's not going to fly very well with a lot of people. I was unsure what was reasonable for something like this. 1/300?
The annoying part of that isn't fighting the boss, it's summoning it that many times. Have you ever ground Plantera for The Axe? It's a 1/200 drop chance and it's still one of the most elusive items in the game for a lot of people. Fighting Golem 2000 times would be easy but tedious, and summoning him that much even more so. I do like the idea, just keep in mind the balance between tedium and fun.

I think anything rarer than 1/20 is too rare when it comes to boss drops unless its something like a pet

Honestly I find anything high to be a lot more fun- grinding is one of the best parts of most games for me. Not sure if it's because I've done it so much or it just feels exciting getting fortunate early on with some grinds. Example I got a hallowed key mold on a newly made hard mode after about 10 minutes just randomly- is this grinding? No, but the point is that even with the odds of a keymold dropping I still got one easily and it made me so happy! XD

I don't know @Zaria , honestly I love drop rates being high, it gives me a reason to keep playing a game and gives things that can be collected more value in my opinion.

Honestly I find anything high to be a lot more fun- grinding is one of the best parts of most games for me. Not sure if it's because I've done it so much or it just feels exciting getting fortunate early on with some grinds. Example I got a hallowed key mold on a newly made hard mode after about 10 minutes just randomly- is this grinding? No, but the point is that even with the odds of a keymold dropping I still got one easily and it made me so happy! XD

I don't know @Zaria , honestly I love drop rates being high, it gives me a reason to keep playing a game and gives things that can be collected more value in my opinion.
It's a lot worse with bosses though, normal enemies will spawn naturally and can be farmed easily if you really wanted to. Bosses however, require you to go out of your way to summon them and fight the boss just one time. With extremely rare drops, many players will never get the item by themselves no matter how hard they try, and RNG in general is a major source of frustration that many people would agree that we don't need more of.

Yeah but you're acting like games are supposed to be fair to the player and drops aren't supposed to be as rare as they are. All games have frustration- while I agree that there's a cut off point, I don't believe making something awesome like this an easy drop by any means- and a 1/20 chance for a boss item is low, anything under 1/5000 chance for me is fine when it comes to boss items. And getting the materials is just part of the fun.

We do have a market for players on this forum that allows for trading, selling, and buying of items including summoning and drops from bosses- I feel like if we take RNG away from items that are good, it makes items that already have high RNG look bad in comparison since it does take longer for them vs another item which in my opinion would cause the market to drop; I feel like being social is a good thing- this encourages players to get together to own a boss in seconds which even over 100's of battles would be less than a few minutes of grinding with multiple people and also encourages people to sell items and make trades and the like of the rarer items.

I'm not saying it's bad to feel like RNG is an :red:, or that desire sensor doesn't exist- Believe me I've been ripping my hair out over getting key molds ever since the change; that doesn't make the game less fun for some people though and I feel like without RNG things would be a lot less fun and we'd spend less time playing the games we enjoy.
Games are supposed to be fair though... games aren't supposed to have unfair things like an awesome but practically unobtainable item that you can spend weeks trying to get without being any closer to your goal than when you started. If the item is too rare then people will either give up after seeing how rare it is, or they will spend hours and days trying to get it, only to quit in frustration and hack the item in or download another character with the item.

I understand that having a bit of randomness is necessary to keep a game from getting repetitive and stale, but making an item near impossible to get is just a bad idea that a majority of players will hate.

The chance of the accessory drop... You trust RNG too much...
Why is it so damn low?!

The concept is interesting, you don't have a single role, you are constantly switching from a tank to a damage dealer, which is a bit too much for me, therefore I dislike it.

Good job on thinking about something unique though! :D

Let's put a few things into perspective:
The Golem is, relatively, one of the easiest bosses to summon and fight.The player can set up a simple AFK grinder for the Power Cells, and the Golem is a big, slow moving target with attacks which are easy to predict and avoid.

All of the above are valid points, and the rarity and value of things are not my strong point, please excuse me if I'm unreasonable with such things. Is 1/70 more reasonable?

Back
Top Bottom