Game Mechanics Settlements, NPC interaction, travelling NPC's and random encounters.

Yavga

Terrarian
I love Terraria, I love Terraria in multiplayer with friends even more. The experience is unique and there are plenty styles of gameplay...

But how much would the game benefit if it manages to throw in some more randomised social encounters and roleplaying opportunities?
Add some randomness to keep the gameplay fresh and surprising.

I absolutely love the Blood Moon, Goblin invasions and other variants and I think Terraria could benefit from more events in the future.
But not just at the players' base!

My first idea is to add settlements to the game, premade towns or settlements that have some inhabitants that either sell you stuff, tell you stuff, give you a mission or help you in any kind of way. Perhaps you can even convince some villagers to join your settlement?

In the same spirit it would be nice to encounter travelling NPC's or merchants. It already kind of exists but they can increase the scope of this idea. Perhaps they can add some bandit ambushes? Certainly not all humans are friendly!

Then we got the pre-set events like the meteorite, which is nice but they could make random events happen during gameplay as well. A boss spawning that you could either hide from or try to beat. 2 factions battling it out, A volcano erupting, a travelling salesman in need of help that sort of things. It will keep the gameplay dynamic and everyone loves surprises.

Also I really loved the addition of the villagers interacting with each other, I think you're working in the right direction!

That sounds similar to Starbound, actually.

Rival games aside, I think Terraria neither aspired nor was built to handle society-level mechanics where you have world events and complex interactions with NPCs and NPC towns; there's other games to fill that niche.
Not saying your suggestion is bad. Rather, it doesn't fit the kind of game Terraria wants to be, and is better off being in another game.

Back
Top Bottom