Game Mechanics Shimmered NPC's could have alternate functions

crazazy

Queen Slime
So I was wondering, maybe we could have shimmered NPCs not just change in visuals, but also in function. I don't have them all nailed down but here is a few I came up with:

GuideShimmered Guide
Tells you crafting recipesTells you shimmer recipes
NurseShimmered Nurse
Now only heals you to full health, doesn't cure debuffsCures all your debuffs, doesn't heal you
TavernkeepShimmered Tavernkeep (Cocktail Shaker)
Sells dungeon defenders-related itemsSells cocktails, which come with a variety of existing buffs, but give you the tipsy debuff at the same time
MechanicShimmered Mechanic
Sells wiring-related itemsSells traps. Post golem she also sells lihzahrd traps
Tax CollectorShimmered Tax Collector (Banker)
Collects money from your current NPC'sWill ask for money, and that money will then collect interest. The longer you keep the money at the banker,
the more you'll be able to withdraw

I may come back with more brainwaves, but for now these are some of the more unique interactions I could think of. Likely if you wanted to change all NPC's most would come down to selling different items in shimmered form, as most of them are nothing other than vendors

So I was wondering, maybe we could have shimmered NPCs not just change in visuals, but also in function. I don't have them all nailed down but here is a few I came up with:

GuideShimmered Guide
Tells you crafting recipesTells you shimmer recipes
NurseShimmered Nurse
Now only heals you to full health, doesn't cure debuffsCures all your debuffs, doesn't heal you
TavernkeepShimmered Tavernkeep (Cocktail Shaker)
Sells dungeon defenders-related itemsSells cocktails, which come with a variety of existing buffs, but give you the tipsy debuff at the same time
MechanicShimmered Mechanic
Sells wiring-related itemsSells traps. Post golem she also sells lihzahrd traps
Tax CollectorShimmered Tax Collector (Banker)
Collects money from your current NPC'sWill ask for money, and that money will then collect interest. The longer you keep the money at the banker,
the more you'll be able to withdraw

I may come back with more brainwaves, but for now these are some of the more unique interactions I could think of. Likely if you wanted to change all NPC's most would come down to selling different items in shimmered form, as most of them are nothing other than vendors
Wow. These are perfect.

Have any ideas for what a shimmered old man could do?

Here's an idea to add to the list:
Shimmered Dryad: Sells stuff normally sold on a blood moon outside of normal conditions, but sells normal stuff DURING a blood moon. To put it simply, the trades that would normally appear during a blood moon appear outside of a blood moon, and vice versa. Also, maybe some special seeds to go along with being shimmered.

not sure I like this, I only shimmer the NPCs when I like their shimmered form more than their original. I don't want their functions to change.
I think with the upcoming 1.4.5 shimmer squirt gun that shouldn't be that much of an issue. Just squirt them if you need to, get your necessities, and then squirt them back. That should be less painful than the current method used for shimmering NPC's
Personally I'd have Shimmered NPCs use different combat skills, but keep the same functions.
Maybe some of them could drop different items when Shimmered.
Oh that also sounds good! tbh I had a bunch of ideas running around my head, including hiding the secret seed options behind some of the NPCs to keep the seed options, you know, hidden. IDK what idea they currently have for that but I feel like giving people straight up all the hidden world options defeats the purpose of them existing as secret seeds if I'm honest.
This feels extremely modded, and I don't think it would fit in the base game. It's also really, really complicated.
I'm not sure I agree with this. IMO terraria has a looser design language than, say, minecraft. If this is modded, then all the crossover content we have would "feel modded" as well. Also the difficulty of implementation would be "adding new NPC's into the game that can't co-exist with their shimmered counterpart"

I'm not sure I agree with this. IMO terraria has a looser design language than, say, minecraft. If this is modded, then all the crossover content we have would "feel modded" as well. Also the difficulty of implementation would be "adding new NPC's into the game that can't co-exist with their shimmered counterpart"
All of the crossover content we have does feel modded. However, it's crossover content; it was still made by the main dev team with the goal of fitting into vanilla Terraria, and even so it gets a special pass because it's mostly meant for fun. You're right that Terraria has a looser design language, but it still likes to keep things (mostly...) mechanically simple, and adding a second secret function to every NPC would be pretty dang complex. And what if you like the base function, but prefer the Shimmered design? You're out of luck.

I want to clarify that I don't even think this idea is bad. If it was in a mod, I'd consider it very cool and unique. But I just don't think it fits in the base game.

Back
Top Bottom