PC Shiverthorn in clay pot won't grow. And Plant growing in general

Aurora3500

🌳
Staff member
I've only recently tried using pots to artificially grow more plants that can be used in potion ingredients like Blinkroot, Shiverthorn, Moonglow and others. I put a few Blinkroot and Shiverthorn seeds in a few pots so far and Blinkroot has grown a few times and I've harvested more blinkroot and seeds from it, but the Shiverthorn hasn't grown at all and it has been 3-4 ingame days

My pots are inside my base and according to the wiki it doesn't matter if the Shiverthorn is outside or not or in its native ice biome, but it seems like it has been a long time. Am I supposed to plant the seeds in clay pots a different way?

What are the other conditions I should take into consideration when setting up farms for other types of plants like moonglow and deathweed?

There aren't really any special conditions for growing plants in pots. They'll grow pretty much anywhere, in any biome and any altitude. I recently did a test with all 7 herbs (Daybloom, Moonglow, Blinkroot, Deathweed, Waterleaf, Fireblossom, Shiverthorn) planting them in pots in most biomes at different altitudes. Every single plant eventually grew, even in the underworld. There's no apparent correlation between surrounding biome and growth rate -- two that took the longest to grow were Moonglow in the underground jungle and Shiverthorn in snow caverns. As far as I can tell, growth updates are random.

The only special conditions are when to harvest in order to get seeds:
  • Daybloom during the day
  • Moonglow during the night
  • Blinkroot when it's blooming (happens randomly on and off once it's grown)
  • Deathweed during a blood moon
  • Waterleaf when it's raining
  • Fireblossom submerged in lava
Shiverthorn always yields seeds after it blooms and it stays that way, so it doesn't really have any special requirements.

The only thing I did notice is that the plants at the surface seemed to all grow faster than the ones deeper, but with only one test run I'm not sure if this is typical or just coincidental. If you need a higher yield, the solution might be to just use more pots.

I thought the requirement for shivertorn is for a blizzard/rain, except that once they bloom, they stay that way, unlike waterleaf. At least, it seems that way because I tend to find more natural shivertorn seeds after rain/blizzard.

How many pots do you have of the shiverthorn? I've found that blinkroots bloom like crazy and that other seeds take awhile, a lot longer than blinkroot. If you only have, say, 4 pots of shiverthorn I'd expect them to grow but it'll take awhile. While if you had 20 pots of shiverthorns you'd have more chance to see growth. Because it seems that some just take forever.

Also, make sure that you are off screen a bit. My plants don't like me looking at them to grow. At least it seems.

I thought the requirement for shivertorn is for a blizzard/rain, except that once they bloom, they stay that way, unlike waterleaf. At least, it seems that way because I tend to find more natural shivertorn seeds after rain/blizzard.

That's a possibility I hadn't considered, but I'm not sure if weather's a factor or not. The wiki doesn't really give any indication one way or the other, so I won't draw any conclusions just from that. I've planted some seeds and I'll leave them alone for a while and see what happens.

(Minor footnote: I have a "laboratory" TShock server instance where I tinker with these sorts of things. The world is running with -forceupdate and I have a plugin that disables rain. It's not a pure representation of what would happen in single player, but generally I find that most low-level mechanics like this function the same in multiplayer -- I've found some rare exceptions, and I'll make note of them if I find anything that seems to differ here.)

How many pots do you have of the shiverthorn? I've found that blinkroots bloom like crazy and that other seeds take awhile, a lot longer than blinkroot. If you only have, say, 4 pots of shiverthorn I'd expect them to grow but it'll take awhile. While if you had 20 pots of shiverthorns you'd have more chance to see growth. Because it seems that some just take forever.

Also, make sure that you are off screen a bit. My plants don't like me looking at them to grow. At least it seems.

Yeah, I had about only 3-4 pots of Shiverthorn planted, the blinkroot has been very successful and the Shiverthorn has taken much longer.

Not sure if its a coincidence or not but while it was raining in my world one of the Shiverthorn pots I had successfully bloomed so it looks like the conditions I have are fine according to critcodedtuna's list.

I'm in the process of expanding my base before I start hardmode in this playthrough, so I'll try planting more Shiverthorn pots to get better rates of growth.

Fireblossom submerged in lava

For this condition how far does a Fireblossom have to be submerged in lava? Just a little or completely? I haven't been able to get any seeds from the Underworld for this so far so to get seeds do I have to find or make a fireblossom directly submerged in lava to get the seed?

Also depending on the results of your tests, I might put my pots on a higher floor in my base. Right now they're in the "basement". While they aren't exactly underground. It is below about 15 snow tiles from the surface.

Yeah, I had about only 3-4 pots of Shiverthorn planted, the blinkroot has been very successful and the Shiverthorn has taken much longer.
Yeah, blinkroots go crazy all the time. All the others take a long time. Sometimes they'll sprout right away and sometimes they'll take forever. I'll plant 40 day blooms in clay pots at the same time and 7 will bloom the next day.

For this condition how far does a Fireblossom have to be submerged in lava? Just a little or completely? I haven't been able to get any seeds from the Underworld for this so far so to get seeds do I have to find or make a fireblossom directly submerged in lava to get the seed?
Take a bucket down to the underworld with you. Fill it with lava. When you find a fireblossom, put a block (any block, dirt, brick, candy cane block, etc) on either side of the fireblossom. Pour your lava bucket on the fireblossom and the lava will stay within the two blocks that you placed on either side of it. Then harvest the fireblossom and you'll get seeds. Repeat as necessary until you have as many seeds as you want.

I normally don't plant fireblossoms in my garden at my base. I'll make my hell bridge out of ash blocks and just run back and forth on it to get fireblossoms. Tons and tons.

I find it works if the lava is just up to the bottom of the plant, which means the clay plots are fully submerged and then just a bit deeper. Lava Waders are useful for easy harvesting.

Also depending on the results of your tests, I might put my pots on a higher floor in my base. Right now they're in the "basement". While they aren't exactly underground. It is below about 15 snow tiles from the surface.

After leaving them alone to grow for a while, several of them bloomed, without any rain or snow. So it looks like the weather isn't a factor. Shiverthorn is just slow to grow.

Keep in mind in the gardening guide on the wiki there is a 2 space clearance needed for the clay pots as well. So each pot 2 spaces apart. If that helps.

My understanding is that Shiverthorn just plain takes a long time to grow. Presumably the fact that it blooms indefinitely once it does is meant to balance that.

Regarding Firebloom, Like Unit One said, it seems youl have to manually pour lava on one in the underworld to get the initial seeds. And non-blooming Firebloom is hard to see, it just looks like a little red tendril, which blends in with the lava cracks on the underworld background. But at least it blooms almost instantly once you put lava on it.

Keep in mind in the gardening guide on the wiki there is a 2 space clearance needed for the clay pots as well. So each pot 2 spaces apart. If that helps.
Wait, what? I think they must have meant vertical space, i.e. one for the pot, one of the plant. Potted plants grow side by side just fine.

Last edited:

I think you're referring to this line in the guide: "Space requirements should also be considered, as plants require 2 blocks of clearance using Clay Pots versus 1 block to grow on soil." It's correct, but ambiguous. It's specifically vertical clearance (pots can be next to each other horizontally), and the two spaces are one for the pot and one for the plant. You don't need two spaces above the pot. The image showing the farm using pots shows this.

Back
Top Bottom