PC Sky Island Scanning (1.3 Trick)

BitPieStudios

The Destroyer
I am not normally one to do this, but I was thinking of ways you can use some of the new tools to kinda cheat the game.
Well, here is one really easy, yet effective trick. As a pro, you can use it for speed-running, and as any kind of player, you can use it to help yourself in the beginning much faster.

How do you do it?

Step 1: Open Camera Mode.

If you did not notice, there is a new screencap mode in Terraria 1.3 To open it, press F1 in-game, or if you're on the kind of laptop I am on, hold the Fn key, then press F1.

Step 2: Choose a large region in the sky.

To do this, open the map in the screencap toolbar at the top. left click one point, then right click another to choose what the game will capture. click left on the top of the map, then move the cursor to a point of the map far away, and on the ground so you can see landmarks you are used to in your world's surface. Do NOT click the "take screenshot" button. Click the one to the right of it, labeled "take snapshot".

Step 3: View the file!
After the screencap saves, open it on your computer by clicking the folder icon in the camera mode editor. If you see a sky island, congrats! You can now get to it without having to guess too much. If there isn't one, well try again in a different portion of sky.

Here is an example of a screenshot using this method. I looted both sky islands.
capture_2015_07_02_02_29_32_by_bitpiestudios-d8zluj8.png

Hope this little guide helped! And I hope my wording wasn't too confusing. :U

I found this out accidentally when messing around with the camera mode. I would never use it in a playthrough, but I guess it's a pretty cool system for speed runners.
I doubt it'll be "fixed", but they could change the camera mode system so that if you take a snapshot of an area you haven't been to on the map, it'll show up as a black screen.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, I'm sure many will find this useful! ;)

Back
Top Bottom