So I'm playing expert for the first time.

Defence, or Offense?

• Defence

• Offense

Results are only viewable after voting.

TerrarianCrab

Official Terrarian
My class is melee and I am post EoW. I'm pretty excited for hardmode but thing is, I'm not sure if I should focus solely on defense or offense. I really need help.

My first run(on3ds duh) I was making beetle armor, and thought up a situation because I didn't know what chestpiece I wanted to use, the one with defensive beetles, or offensive beetles. So I thought, "what if a really damaging but low health enemy was approaching fast, and I could kill it in one hit but I am cursed! I would rather live to outlast the curse and then swing to kill this creature in one hit, sure extra damage is good but only when you are alive to use it"

Ah. then you can't use sunfury. The amazon is good for you then. A minecart track would increase your survivability a lot too.

I think it comes down to personal preference.

Being tanky makes it easier to not die. If what you’re fighting can’t kill you easily, then killing it becomes much easier. I’ll use plantera as an example- you can get over 100 defense without much trouble before fighting her and reducing all her damage by 75 makes it difficult for her to deal meaningful damage to you as long as you’re doing a decent job at dodging, especially when combined with good health regeneration and damage reduction buffs. Against the moon lord, full beetle armor, warding accessories, damage reduction, etc. will mostly nullify the chip damage from the random missiles he fires - you only need to dodge the occasional lasers and eyeballs, and 45%+ damage reduction and like 100 damage reduced means they aren’t crippling if they hit you.

Having high DPS makes it easier to kill things. Enemies will hit hard and you need to be on top of evading attacks to stay alive, but your fights won’t drag on for long.

In both cases, you still need to be able to dodge and avoid damage. Being tanky means that when you get hit (and you will make mistakes and get hit) it’s not as big of a deal. Having high damage means that you’ll be fighting for less time and will have less time to mess up. And there are some attacks that you just can’t tank.

I tend to favor high defense because it makes things less stressful. Don’t need to focus as much and can play more leisurely. An easier fight for a longer length of time instead of a harder fight for a shorter time.

Playing calamity all the way through 4 times has trained me in the art of dodging, so i perfer higher damage , but if you cant dodge attacks very well, i suggest you go for higher defense, but if you completely focus pn defense and ignore offence your going to have a hard time

Well, as I think you should mix things. Not having defense is bad - you will literally get killed in one hit. But without offense, you will be also dead cause of long fights. So mix them.

Playing calamity all the way through 4 times has trained me in the art of dodging, so i perfer higher damage , but if you cant dodge attacks very well, i suggest you go for higher defense, but if you completely focus pn defense and ignore offence your going to have a hard time
B U L L E T H E L L

Also if you arent already, hopefully you are, always have dash, it is one of the most useful abilities in my opinion, so that means shield if cthulu and tabi/ninja gear

Back
Top Bottom