TCF Suggestion Social Groups not visible when public.

Except both are joinable - by clicking the Join Group button. :(
Except one of them is not publicly viewable even though the world Public is as Public as one can get...

You can enter a PUBLIC phonebooth that is available, but you are not allowed to open and read the phonebook to find the number you are looking for (Logic?). We just need the title / description of those two selections changed to appropriate the logic of how one sees the world of those functions.

Hello i wanted to bring this up again, from a users perspective rather than a group owners perspective.

So the situation is that im browsing the roleplay section to find one to join.
All those are set to public.
However i can not see the respective roleplays conditions for joining, rules and informations before i join.

This ends with me having to join every single RP only to realize it is not what im looking for and then unjoin. This is most tendious and in need of improving!

Theres Private which requires me to apply before i can post, which does seem ideal for RPs. However, i cant see the info what to do to apply or the rules, so its moot.

Now theres a different setting, Read Only. That one allows me to view the infos before i join... However that means that i can not post unless i have mod rights in that group. So its completly useless for RPs.

Whereas Invite Only requires me to be invited by a member before i can read or post threads. I rekon thats ideal for PRIVATE RPs under a group of friens but not for PUBLIC ones.

Cant these join and read settings be sepperated?

Last edited:
Now theres a different setting, Read Only. That one allows me to view the infos before i join... However that means that i can not post unless i have mod rights in that group. So its completly useless for RPs.

I don't think it's the case that only people with mod privileges can post in a Read-Only SG, unless the mods of that SG made it be that way. You have to request to join (and be accepted) before you can post in those. Charmander27 is our resident staff SG/RP expert:

Going over the categories:

Read Only: Anyone can request to join. Anyone can view the threads, only members can post.

Public: Anyone can request to join. Only members can view threads and read posts.

Invite Only: You can't request to join, but must be invited. Only members can view threads and read posts.

In addition, you can select "Custom" instead of one of these four options, and manage what various user groups can do on your own instead of using the defaulted selection. However, it still must visually show "Read Only," "Public," "Invite Only," or "Private."
Note: The "Guest" option is referring to TCF members who are not actual members of your Social Group.

I think that Read Only does separate the read and join functions. You read through the SGs, and request to join the ones you want. If the SG requires an application, and yours is denied, the mods of that SG can choose to remove you from the membership.

Last edited:
Note that you can always set up custom settings that are a mix of these, just you must chose one of them to be displayed.

Cant we like change the defaults? Public woud make much more sense if you could read before you join as example. Think of a public libary, you're always free to read the books there but borrowing them requires you to be a member.

Back
Top Bottom