[SOLVED] Randomizers? How do they work?

I have made this thread because i need some info on randomizers. Im currently thinking of a few designs but i cant figure it out on my own. Please feel free to give tips and design ideas.

do you need to randomize information or just a random signal to be outputted?

EDIT: If the latter, then there are faulty gate lamps

I just want a random output for a minigame that im working on. Thanks for the advice. If you want you can give some info about the random information so everyone can learn.

I just bought a faulty logic gate lamp but now i dont know how it works... i cant even place it...

Last edited:
The wiki has a pretty good summary of the many things a faulty lamp can achieve http://terraria.wiki.gg/Logic_Gate#Faulty_Lamps

Thanks for the advice again. I have read the article but i still dont know how they work. Im not really that good when it comes to logic gates. My goal is for the randomizer to choose wich small wave comes next. The rate the waves will come is determined by a timer. I also want to try to make the traps from each wave activate in a random order. Maybe this info will help with explaining this all to me.

Thanks for the advice again. I have read the article but i still dont know how they work. Im not really that good when it comes to logic gates. My goal is for the randomizer to choose wich small wave comes next. The rate the waves will come is determined by a timer. I also want to try to make the traps from each wave activate in a random order. Maybe this info will help with explaining this all to me.

A faulty logic gate will have a chance of outputting a signal, that is based on the ratio of attached On logic gate lamps to Off logic gate lamps. Getting them to select a single output from many might be a bit tricky. You'll need some faulty not gate type of things. I'll see what I can whip up, and then get back to you. :)

A faulty logic gate will have a chance of outputting a signal, that is based on the ratio of attached On logic gate lamps to Off logic gate lamps. Getting them to select a single output from many might be a bit tricky. You'll need some faulty not gate type of things. I'll see what I can whip up, and then get back to you. :)

Thanks! Im currently working on a mob based randomiser but i dont think its possible... they always walk to the right...

Yeah, calling the faulty logic gates "random" is some what misleading when it's a chance based on the ratio of On lamps vs Off lamps. But it is very easy to set up a random output with some faulty logic gates, a few AND gates, a dart trap and some teal pressure plates.
Simple Randomizer.png

I used a similar set up to this for a random number generator that would only display 1 number at a time.

I used a similar set up to this for a random number generator that would only display 1 number at a time.
Oh yeah. That is a bit smarter than what I did. I went with a kind of 50/50 binary tree type of deal.
eAwTixp.png
lMhtLrd.png

Before logic gates we did basically the same thing, but with doors. They open in a random direction, when triggered by wire.

Yeah, calling the faulty logic gates "random" is some what misleading when it's a chance based on the ratio of On lamps vs Off lamps. But it is very easy to set up a random output with some faulty logic gates, a few AND gates, a dart trap and some teal pressure plates.
View attachment 176530

Wow! Im sure to try this setup! Ill keep you all informed if it worked.
[doublepost=1500326379,1500326247][/doublepost]
Oh yeah. That is a bit smarter than what I did. I went with a kind of 50/50 binary tree type of deal.
eAwTixp.png
lMhtLrd.png

Before logic gates we did basically the same thing, but with doors. They open in a random direction, when triggered by wire.

Thanks! Another design i can try! I wont be trying ot now though because its getting late and i already shut down my pc.

eAwTixp.png
lMhtLrd.png

Yes, I remember the doors. I'm so glad we have actual logic gates now and don't need to make randomizers with doors. `:happy:

Yes, I remember the doors. I'm so glad we have actual logic gates now and don't need to make randomizers with doors. `:happy:

Sounds complicated... im pretty new to wiring so its all very confusing to me. I am getting the hang of it much faster then expected. My only mechanisms are an (pretty efficient) afk money farm and my first minigame wich i started this thread for.

Btw. How do you use the npc emojis?

Yeah, when the wiring update came out the very first thing I did was make a mini-game. `:happy:
It's really not all that hard to understand when you break it down to all the basic parts.
Do you understand how the randomizer I showed works?

Yeah, when the wiring update came out the very first thing I did was make a mini-game. `:happy:
It's really not all that hard to understand when you break it down to all the basic parts.
Do you understand how the randomizer I showed works?

I quess it shoots the dart across the pressure pads wich switch the lamps on and off. These are connected to the outputs of the system. (Wich i can connect to my waves) please correct me if im wrong!

Well, i'm too late, but i'll still drop in a couple of examples that i doodled after reading your post.

So, here example of a spawner, that each second pulses a random statue out of 4 (could be any amount of them):
s5BQs03.png

Or, here a teleporter, that teleport you to a random destination:
4Bk5Zow.png

And i also build this, lol:
RXDrT1M.png

Well, i'm too late, but i'll still drop in a couple of examples that i doodled after reading your post.

So, here example of a spawner, that each second pulses a random statue out of 4 (could be any amount of them):
s5BQs03.png

Or, here a teleporter, that teleport you to a random destination:
4Bk5Zow.png

And i also build this, lol:
RXDrT1M.png

It doesnt matter if your late. I will test all the designs i get until im comfortable with a design. One is more compact than the other. And some might not work. (Or i build them wrong) And thank you all for making the designs simple. Im colourblind so the yellow and green are hard to decifer.

Kind of... As said before the faulty logic gates are triggered based on the number of ON vs OFF lamps. Because the faulty gates in my picture have 1 ON and 1 OFF that means they have a 1/2 or 50% to trigger or not too. If they are triggered they will switch the lamps above the AND gates. The row of AND gates have the lamps above them in a way that makes it so only 1 of the gates at a time can be active.

Kind of... As said before the faulty logic gates are triggered based on the number of ON vs OFF lamps. Because the faulty gates in my picture have 1 ON and 1 OFF that means they have a 1/2 or 50% to trigger or not too. If they are triggered they will switch the lamps above the AND gates. The row of AND gates have the lamps above them in a way that makes it so only 1 of the gates at a time can be active.

Ok. I think i get it now. Ill try it out tomorrow. (clarification: i live in holland so its almost midnight. I should probably change my location from space to holland...)

Back
Top Bottom