Game Mechanics Spawn Point Confirmation Pop-up

greatmaguskyros

Steampunker
So my wife recently introduced me to Terraria. She and I play together along with our daughter. We each built our own little custom houses as well as a giant storage warehouse full of treasure chests. In addition, there are various other houses scattered throughout our world as well.

During the course of playing I sometimes change my spawn point on accident. Since it's a simple single click I find this rather devastating when I do so very far from the spawn point I had previously set for myself and desired to keep as my spawn point.

This being said, I think a confirmation pop-up window to confirm removing/setting a spawn point would be great, especially for newer players like myself.

There is already a pop-up to confirm spawn setting/removing

And at worst you have to spend like 2 minutes walking, why is it "devastating"?

There is a chat message that informs you that these have changed, but I've not come across an actual confirmation pop-up along the lines of "You sure you want to do this?" in the settings or anywhere else. I am potentially missing this somewhere, I am relatively new to the game after all.

And I would say your walk time depends on the size of the world you're in. An excellent example is this:

We built our primary houses and NPC community on the far left side of our world. The ocean is pretty small. I went to the far right side of the world where the ocean was bigger and built a second house for fishing purposes. I prefer to keep this house as my spawn point most days.

The NPC community and the houses my wife and daughter build are on the far side of a large sized world. So if I accidentally set my spawn point to one of their houses when visiting it necessitates a walk that is significantly longer than two minutes, even with triple jump w/frostspark boots. Perhaps if I had a faster mount (I have the king slime mount drop) it would be faster, but I think it would still be convenient to have a simple pop-up prompting for you to confirm your choice.

If that's already built in to the game, great! But a message in the chat window that simply tells you that it's been done is great so that you know it was successful or that it failed, but it doesn't help the new player(s) that might still be exploring their first world in Terraria and still struck by the wonder and beauty that this game somehow manages to pull off. This is only my third or fourth post here and I haven't participated in a forum in years due to the massive amounts of flaming that was prevalent on many of the forums I used to frequent. If I am out of line here let me know.

I immediately fell in love with this game and I just want to be a productive and active member of the community.

I don't understand how a clear indicator doesn't help you simply because you're new. You have to mouse over and RMOUSE the bed to set your spawn in the first place, it's hard to "accidentally" do.

I don't understand how a clear indicator doesn't help you simply because you're new. You have to mouse over and RMOUSE the bed to set your spawn in the first place, it's hard to "accidentally" do.
You've gotta remember that the chat indicators are small and last for a short time, so if you aren't paying attention they can disappear without you knowing they were there. Also, it is pretty easy to accidentally remove your spawn because if NPC's are occupying the same space as the bed itself and you need to use the NPC, right clicking the NPC can also activate the bed if you click the blocks where both the bed and NPC are, which is a majority of the NPC itself.
A bonus to activating both at the same time is that the sound that plays when you open NPC dialog is louder than the tick sound for things appearing in chat, meaning that the tick you'd normally hear would be obscured by the opening of the window.

Edit: As for the idea itself, it is interesting, but I'd rather have it so that you need to double click the bed to remove spawn points, with the first click just giving a chat notif saying to click again to remove spawn point.

I'm with @greatmaguskyros, I like to equip my bedroom with a table and chair just so it can count as an extra house for any spare NPC to move into. (And it's generally a good habit to furnish your bedrooms. >:I ) And oftentimes I ask the tinkerer for a reforge, or to sell my stuff to the merchant, but the right-click overlaps the bed and it triggers the spawn-point settings straightaway. It isn't such a big problem for me, but it's irritating. (Sometimes it's important too, e.g. when I set my spawn in the underground jungle so I can quickly get back into the fight with Plantera.) So yeah, I would appreciate a feature that allows you to set your spawn more deliberately.

Back
Top Bottom