Story Spires (A Nine-Part Story)

TheJoekster

Dungeon Spirit
Hello! This is my sixth fifth sixth written piece here. One may also notice that it's my first fully fleshed-out written piece here. Yep, chapters.

This is a bit of a backstory to my previous piece, 'The Obelisk'. You can go read that if you want, but you don't need to have read that story to understand this one. It will, however, give a touch more context to this story.

Anyway, I really do hope someone out there enjoys this. Here it is - 'Spires'.

A young woman crouched down near a creek. Her vibrant green eyes and fierce red hair collected the sunlight around her, glinting as she moved. She collected a sample of water in a baggy, and examined it with a device. As the results were being calculated, she looked around. Inhaling sharply, she closed her eyes. Even with her love for wires and electronics, her passion of nature was always at the back of her mind. After all, she got that from her mother.

She opened her eyes and looked around at the greenery, and smiled, admiring the view. Suddenly, the device beeped. She looked at the results, and her eyes widened. She picked up her baggy, put the device in a back pocket, and ran home.

In the creek, a black spot slowly crept through the earth like a cancer.

Running back to her camp, she shook her mother awake. "Mama!," she prompted quietly, yet firmly. Her mother awoke, sleepy-eyed. Her green hair and olive skin bloomed as she rose. "What?," the mother replied.

"I examined the water this morning," the young woman said. "It's spreading."

"Tell her to take us to it." An old man twiddled his thumbs, staring at the ground. He was well-groomed, wearing a tailored outfit and casual tophat, as well as a pair of sunglasses. His hands were gnarled but well-kept, much like a typical Clothier of his age. His fist of a beard was as thick as the greenery that surrounded him as he sat on an oak stump, with a bucket of raw plant fibres by his side. "By what you've said, it hasn't gotten that far yet. We'll just pur'fy it, like you did with all of the other infected grounds."

"Edmund." The woman with green hair and olive skin stood in front of him, arms crossed. She simply wore a bra of leaves, as well as a pretty breechcloth around her waist. She exhaled. "The land she was talking about wasn't decaying or rotting, and it definitely wasn't made up of glitter and rainbows. She said it looked black." "So?," Edmund replied. "You've seen stuff like that before." The woman shook her head. "No," she said. "I haven't." Edmund looked up at her, taking off his sunglasses. His eyes glinted in the sunlight, catching the light. "Felicitae, stop worrying. In our hundred-and-sixty somethin' years of marriage, you've never worried."

The redheaded young woman ran out of her tent, carrying a belt of miscellaneous trinkets and devices. Her hair was in a tight bun. "Hi, papi," she said to Edmund. Edmund stood up and smiled down at her. "Hey, Amy. Where's your sister?" Amy pointed to the direction of the creek. "She's already there," Amy replied. "Are we ready to go?" Felicitae looked at Edmund, and with a small smile, nodded. "Let's go."
The young woman at the creek paced impatiently. Her paper-white skin contrasted the greenery almost perfectly, and her eyes of an uncertain colour darted around the forest anxiously. She had jet-black hair, and a tailored outfit that was no doubt designed by her father. She carried a large tool strapped around her shoulder, made up of a tank, a barrel, and a trigger. She looked down into the creek, which now had a few black stalagmites growing out of it. A length of ten meters was now coated in the black material. She heard Amy and her parents come into the clearing, and turned around.

"This is really interesting and creepy," the young woman said. "Watch this." She loaded a green-coloured solution into the tank of her device, and pulled the trigger. A mist violently erupted out of the end of the muzzle. "This stuff is supposed to clean infected grounds, but watch what happens when I use it on this." She pointed to the (now black) creek, and fired her device. As soon as the mist touched the black substance, a stalagmite erupted out of the ground and grew a few meters into the air. She looked to Amy. "Isn't that weird?"

Amy looked at the stalagmite. "What do you think, mama?" Felicitae stepped forward and touched the stalagmite. She frowned. "It's like there's nothing wrong," she replied. "What do you mean?," Amy's sister asked. "This is clearly not supposed to be here." Felicitae shook her head, her green eyes twinkling in the sunlight. "It's not," she replied. "But it's as if this rock is as normal as everything around it. Leticia, put a corrupted solution into the Clentaminator and use it on the creek."

The black-haired girl put a putrid-looking purple solution into her machine and blasted the stalagmite with it. Immediately, the area smelled of decay, and the rock had a layer of rotting, purple flesh coating it. She raised her eyebrows, and turned around to her mother. "It worked," she said. Felicitae nodded. "Now use the purifying solution," she said. Leticia put a green-coloured solution into the Clentaminator and fired it, and the stalagmite began to throb. Leticia frowned. "That's not supposed to happe--!" The stalagmite broke off, and floated in front of them. Immediately, tendrils grew from its body and a single eye opened up, staring at the group. Two tusk-like appendages grew from a mouth at the bottom of the cone, and the creature croaked. It lunged at Felicitae.

Edmund grabbed the creature and pulled it off of Felicitae, throwing it into a tree. Immediately, the tree took on a grayish-purple hue. Leticia gasped and blasted the tree with her solution. It temporarily cured the tree, but the tree quickly reverted to its depressing colours. Felicitae got onto her feet. "Run!" she said. "This is out of our hands!"
Sprinting back to their camp, Amy caught her breath. "What was that?" she asked. Felicitae simply shook her head. "I don't know. I've never seen a living creature infected with rot before." Edmund sat down on his tree stump, chewing a piece of grass. He frowned. "Something's happening. We should know this stuff. Why don’t we?"

Felicitae paced anxiously. "We're going to have to go back there. We can't just let decay corrupt the forest."

Leticia nodded grimly. "I can fix it," she said. "I'll just need to make another solution."

Amy sighed. "I hope it's that easy. I'll need to make something we can defend ourselves with."

Felicitae snapped her fingers. "Go find your brother, Jacob. He's probably sleeping in a cave somewhere. He knows how to make arrows."

Wandering through the forest, Amy was looking for two things. She was looking for her brother, who usually goes off to find metals and gems in shallow caves for days at a time. She was also looking for one of her toolkits that she left somewhere. She would periodically look around at the scenery, admiring the nature around her. Then she would remember the corrupted grounds near the creek, and be reminded to find her brother.

Finding the opening to a cave, she crawled into its mouth. She saw the glow of a torch a bit away. She walked towards the glow. "Jacob?," she prompted. No response. Amy walked towards the torch, and saw no one. A bit panicked, she looked around. "Jacob?," she asked, this time a little more seriously. She heard someone land behind her. Whirling around, she saw Jacob crouched on the ground behind her. He grinned. "Hey, sis." Amy sighed. "You're weird." Jacob stood up. "Som'thing I can help you with?" Amy examined Jacob for a second. His hair was unkept. He wore khakis and a long-sleeved green shirt, as per usual. He carried a bow on his back. "Let's go outside. We need to talk."

Jacob rubbed his forehead. "I'll give you arrows, but I'm coming with you all. This sounds dangerous." Amy nodded. "Of course you're coming," she replied. "Papi won't be able to help us single-handedly." Jacob picked up a rock. "Do you have a rock sharpener?,' he asked. "Yeah," Amy replied. She reached into her knapsack and pulled out an oil stone. "Great," Jacob said. "You can use bones or obsidian, too, but nothing beats a sharpened rock on an arrow." Amy sighed. "You're a redneck." Jacob grinned. "I know," he replied.

Jacob and Amy walked back to their camp, each carrying three bundles of arrows. Edmund came out to greet them. "Hi, papi," Amy said. Edmund smiled. "Looks like we're ready. Let's hope this is as simple as your mother says it'll be."

- - -

Looking from a bush near the creek's clearing, Felicitae frowned. "It looks like the decay took over whatever that black ground was," she said. Leticia primed her Clentaminator. Amy and Jacob readied their bows, and Edmund clutched a strange-looking doll he created. "Let's go," Edmund said.

Amy and Jacob ran into the clearing first. Three of the floating creatures were in the air. Jacob fired immediately, nailing one in the eye. It wailed and shrivelled, turning into a black rock and shattering on the ground. Leticia immediately blasted the area with her new solution; it instantly got rid of the rot that had corrupted the ground. Felicitae summoned a shield of leaves that circled the area, seeking out the flying creatures and bringing them down to the earth where Leticia blasted them with her solution. Edmund waited patiently in the back, clutching the doll.

Soon, there was silence. The air was free from enemies, and the land was seemingly purified. Leticia walked toward the creek, and saw a pit in the bed of the creek. She blasted it with her solution, and a groan travelled through the earth. Immediately, a serpent blew out of the ground. Leticia ran back to the group, and they all stood in fear of the creature that had just appeared. It was impossibly long. It was made up of segments; each of which had an eye that stared at the five of them. Felicitae nodded to Edmund. "Now," she said.

Edmund dropped the doll onto the ground. He suddenly transformed into a giant skull, possessing two long arms. The creature's one thousand eyes all hissed in response. Edmund slammed a giant fist into the serpent, destroying a length of it. The creature lunged at Edmund's skeletal head, and he started rapidly spinning, the top of his head repeatedly smashing into the serpent. Soon, nothing but rotting flesh and organic material remained. Felicitae picked up the doll, and immediately Edmund returned to his normal state. He caught his breath. "That worked," he gasped, as Felicitae gave him the doll. "Don't drop it," she replied, turning around. The three siblings all stood silently.

An earthquake tore through the ground. The earth darkened, hardening into a dune of rock. The trees around everyone turned into stalagmite-like spires, growing hundreds of meters into the sky. Felicitae whirled around. "What the hell?," she asked to no one in particular. Edmund put the doll away. "Run!," he yelled.
Amy got back to the camp first. Luckily, none of the land there had been infected yet. The rest of the group entered the clearing of their camp. Jacob looked behind them, seeing many impossibly tall spires soaring what seemed like kilometers into the sky. Felicitae caught her breath. "It just doesn't make sense," she said. "Why won't it stop?"

Leticia sat down on a rock, dropping her Clentaminator to the ground beside her. It fell with a clatter. "The solution was working!" she exclaimed. "There should have been none of that land left!" Edmund sat on his tree stump thoughtfully, twiddling his thumbs. "That land doesn't like decay corrupting it. So perhaps what we must do is let the decay completely corrupt it." Felicitae rubbed her forehead, rearranging herself. "Edmund, corrupting the world will kill it."

"Oh, right."

Amy exhaled, trying to contain her frustration. "Is there any way we can stop the rot from spreading, to keep it in one place?," she asked. Felicitae looked to the sky. "Let... let me sleep on it." She looked to Edmund. "Let's all just go to bed," she said. "Tomorrow's going to be a long day."

Overnight, Amy had a strange dream. She was traversing through the black land, staring in awe at the spires of rock that soared into the sky. Some of them folded in on themselves. Walking deeper into the land, above dunes of rock, she saw the silhouette of a creature with long, thin legs and an elephant’s body and head. On its back, the silhouette of a large rock hovered over its body. A low drone trembled through the earth, made up of indistinguishable voices. The beast appeared in the sunlight. Daunted, Amy stumbled backwards. She attempted to get up, but she couldn't. She tried to yell for help; no noise escaped her mouth. The beast spoke. "Pursue my shadows to find the dynasty of the Lunatic."

Amy awoke in a cold sweat, jolting upright. Leticia and Jacob lied on either side of her, peacefully sleeping. Careful to not wake them up, she lied in bed unable to sleep until dawn broke. Amy woke Leticia and Jacob up and went outside to see Felicitae sitting cross-legged in front of a morning fire. The land around them was black, and the trees had turned into black spires of rock that soared into the sky. Despite the depressing scene, the fire's flames were cheerfully licking the morning's dry, cool air. Amy sat beside her mother.

"I had a dream last night, Mama," Amy said.

"About what?," Felicitae prompted.

"I was alone, exploring this black land. An animal I had never seen before - a beast - came up to me and said, 'pursue my shadows to find the Lunatic' or something."

Felicitae frowned, and a look of realization came upon her face. "Those are instructions."

Amy nodded. "Should we follow them?," she asked.

"This afternoon, you and your father will search. Someone or something clearly needs you to find them," Felicitae responded. "In the meantime, Leticia and I will see if we can make any progress with this." She gestured to the general environment, which, needless to say, was in need of a Dryad's blessing.

Amy sighed. "I'll go pack."
"Follow my shadows." Edmund and Amy searched for any shadow that pointed in any direction, for hours on end, with little progress. As the sun began to set, the two sat down, exhausted, and got out some water. The two of them were coated in a thin layer of ground and ash from the surrounding environment.

"Maybe the dream was just a dream," Amy said. "Just ramblings of my mind."

Edmund shook his head. "Those were awfully specific instructions," he replied. "They definitely have some value."

Simply nodding, Amy gazed in the distance. As far as she could see, giant stone spires soared in the sky. The sun cast its orange light on them as it set, casting long streaks of shadows to the east.

Shadows.

Amy grabbed her father. "To the east," she said, with the first true smile she had on her face in days. "Let's go hunt for a lunatic."

Walking through what was once a pleasant forest, Amy and her father followed the shadows cast from the stone spires in the dimming light. With the sun almost below the horizon, Edmund saw the silhouette of strange architecture in the distance. He pointed in the general direction.

"Can you see that?," he asked.

"I think so," Amy replied, squinting her eyes to accommodate for her poor vision and absence of light. "Let's just get there. I don't want to be in the middle of this in the dark."

The architecture was definitely ancient. With ageless blue brick and many primitive torches, the place looked like a monument. As the pair stepped closer to the building, a fog poured out of the entrance. As an aura of cyan glowed through the mist, a glowing pair of white eyes glistened in the darkness. A figure stepped forward in the dark. They had a long, flowing robe, and a very wide-brimmed, short tophat. As the silhouette stepped into the dim light of the ancient monument behind them, a mask shaped like a beak became visible. Three figures came out from behind them; two robed, hooded archers, one of them with a chain linked to a creature that appeared to be human, but seemed lizard-like in its composure. It hissed as the robed figure reigned it in.

"Hello," Amy said. "My name is Amy, and this is my fa--"

"You need not introduce yourself," the masked figure said. His voice was raspy, as if he was talking while breathing in. "I know who you two are. You two may know me as the Lunatic."

- - -

"Why have you summoned us here?," Edmund asked.

The lunatic wheezed - which Edmund realized was chuckling. "I have not summoned you here," the masked figure said. "You have summoned me."

Amy rolled her eyes. "You imprinted a message into one of my dreams. We went looking for you," she said. "That sounds like something someone who wanted us to be summoned would do."

The figure rose from a hunched stance to an upright one. "I was merely sending a recommendation that you come here," the lunatic wheezed. "As you have observed, not all is right with the world. Mutually, we can fix it."

"Oh?," Edmund said, legitimately curious. "How would you do that?"

The figure made a gesture with his hands, and a lightning bolt struck the top of a spire a distance away. Edmund flinched, and in an instant, the figure held Edmund's doll in his hand. "With this," the lunatic murmured. He blasted the doll, engulfing it in a green flame. Once dissipated, the doll looked almost identical to Amy's brother.

Amy's eyes widened. "Jacob," she said.

The lunatic twitched. "Indeed, this voodoo doll is akin to your brother. This doll will contain and hold all the evils in the world, but a human soul must eternally guard it to prevent the evil from doing this." He gestured to the environment around him, to the spires in the sky. He stepped forward. "Jacob is the most powerful human out of all of you," the masked figure said. "You do not know this now, but he will be a key factor in the next chapter of this world. Only the soul of someone strong, like him, could protect this doll."

The figure turned around. "Deliver this doll to the Underworld. When that has been accomplished, the world and its memories will reset." He glanced back. "Deliver it, and you will eternally have our loyalty."

And just as fast as the lunatic came, he disappeared into the mist. The strange dungeon returned to its ancient state, and suddenly the sun rose out of the east.

Edmund picked up the doll on the ground and looked at it, his old, blue eyes twinkling. He looked to Amy. "Let's go," he said. "We have much to discuss with the family."
The group of five sat around the morning fire, which cheerfully licked the cool morning air. A cold, dead breeze drifted through the air, and Jacob's hand was planted against his brow.

"So you see," Amy finished. "It looks like you're going to be the one at the center of this mess." Jacob looked to his mirror image in Edmund's hands. "I'm ready," Jacob said. "I'll do it."

Leticia slumped in her chair. "Woah, woah, woah. We're going to believe a guy who calls himself a 'lunatic' with my brother's life? Does that not seem a little off to any of you?"

Felicitae sat in her seat, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I know liars," she said. "I know when someone is deceiving nature. But that masked man was nature, by the sound of it. He was the incarnation of nature in its most mysterious form."

Leticia rolled her eyes. "Yeah, whatever," she replied. "I can't disagree with you, but if this goes to plan, mark my words - I will sell my Clentaminator to the next client who walks by."

Edmund tossed the doll to Jacob. He caught it in his hands, and stared at its face. A cyan light erupted between the doll and Jacob, and a voice boomed over the landscape. "You have our eternal loyalty," the raspy voice of the Lunatic echoed.

Jacob coughed a few times, his hair a mess. "I think I'm going to be sick," he said. He got up and walked off, leaving the doll on his rock. Edmund picked it up. "This is going to the Underworld," he said. "Jacob knows a cave--"

"Jacob is not going anywhere," Felicitae snapped.

"What?," Edmund asked.

"I'm going to deliver the doll," Felicitae said. "Jacob is weak; I can sense it. Leticia and I will deliver the doll to the Underworld."

Leticia sighed, but nodded, not saying a word. Felicitae turned to face both Edmund and Amy. "You two will guard Jacob," she said. "I sense that something is not right with the world; there will be violence, and you two will need to be here for that."

Leticia stood up. "I will go pack," she said. "We will go at noon, and be in Jacob's cave by the evening." She turned to her mother. "I know the way."

Felicitae nodded. "That's the plan," she said. "Let's hope this works."

- - -

Edmund gave Felicitae one final bear hug and a kiss before she and Leticia departed. Everyone then exchanged hugs. Jacob, who had some minor burns on his chest, back, and neck, was careful to not be crushed by Edmund. Felicitae and Leticia finally turned around to depart.

Leticia held onto the strap of the knapsack carrying all of her supplies. Her hair fell down to her shoulders, contrasting her paper-white skin. She turned her head, looking back at the group. Her eyes glistened in the midday light. "Goodbye, papi," she said. "Bye, Amy. Bye, Jacob."

Felicitae wrapped her arm around Leticia's shoulder, and the two walked off to Jacob's cave.

Jacob looked down to the ground, the shadows of his eyes prominent. "Let's get to work," he said. "We'll have some hostile company soon."
The next day, Amy walked out of an empty tent. Jacob was sleeping in a chair by his father's tent, and his father was sleeping. She crouched on the ground, examining the rock. It was rough, but definitely textured, with ridges rubbing against her fingers. She felt the smallest of vibrations in the rock. Curious, she felt the rock a little more. Sure enough, it was shaking - even if it was just a vibration.

She looked in the distance, and was seven very tall yet unrecognizable figures on the horizon. They were slowly hulking in the direction of camp.

"Papi!," Amy screamed. "Something's coming!"

Edmund burst out of his tent, possessing a deadly-looking bident. Jacob immediately awoke, standing up but groaning in pain. "Hide," Edmund said to Jacob. "We will take care of this."

Jacob simply nodded, crawling into Edmund's tent.

The pair looked at the seven beasts that approached them. All of them were identical - each of them resembling elephants with very, very long and very, very thin legs. The one in the front carried a giant rock on its back; a thick, grey spire. All the others seemed to be ungeared.

Edmund frowned. "That looks like something straight out of a nightmare," he said.

"It did," Amy replied, her face pale. "Those creatures are the beast that spoke to me in that dream I had the other night."

Edmund swallowed deeply. "Oh, dear," he said. "That can't be good."

One of the elephant-creatures bellowed. As it raised its head, four menacing black tusks glistened in its maw. A pillar nearby collapsed, falling in the direction of the camp. While being too far away to cause any damage, it caused dust to rise off of the ground, making it impossible to see. Suddenly, a barrage of blue lasers flew out of the cloud, peppering the camp with holes and filling the air with the smell of ozone.

Amy and Edmund stepped back. She primed her bow, and shot an arrow into the cloud. Nothing happened. Edmund swung his bident, summoning an ethereal projectile that shot into the cloud. This time, another bellow was heard, and a pillar fell behind them. The seven elephants came out of the cloud, walking - no, galloping - towards the camp. Edmund cursed. "This isn't what I wanted to fight," he said. The elephants were nearly on them, and one attempted to swat Edmund with its spindle-leg. He avoided it gracefully, and thrust out his bident - hitting nothing but air. Amy fired her bow into one of the beast's abdomen, but the arrow bounced off as if it had struck rock.

The elephant in the middle's spire glowed a bright blue, collecting light. As the light levels around them darkened, Edmund and Amy braced for death - only to hear a warhorn sound in the distance.

At once, an innumerable army appeared out of the dust cloud behind the camp. In the front was the Lunatic, who floated in the air. Around him, hundreds of hooded archers primed their bows and fired. Even more Lihzahrds poured out of the cloud, crawling on the now groaning elephant beasts. Finally, three giant, living statues - Golems - trudged out of the dust cloud, their stone fists flying.

The middle elephant's spire returned to a normal colour as it attempted to swat the many Lihzahrds covering it. A Golem engaged in hand-to-hand combat with two other elephants, bludgeoning them with its impossibly fast fists. Arrows rained down from the sky, constantly embedding themselves into the elephants' thick, leathery hides. The Lunatic rapidly teleported around in the air, summoning lightning strikes and ethereal dragons that distracted and damaged the beasts. And Amy and Edmund continued to fire arrow after arrow, throwing spear after spear, into the mess that was now an all-out war. An elephant with a smashed-in skull collapsed to the ground, as a Golem retracted what was left of a shattered fist.

Another elephant let out a blast of noise that flat-out ripped apart the Lihzahrds around it. A Golem's head crumbled to the ground, leaving its hands flailing about. The Lunatic continued to fire storms of lightning strikes, but very rapidly realized that the situation was becoming futile. "Fall back!," he yelled to his army. Amy and Edmund had no choice but to follow the army, or else they would be impaled by the Elephants.

"Jacob!," Amy screamed helplessly. "JACOB!"

"Don't worry about him," Edmund replied with a broken voice. "He's safe in my tent."

Her eyes filled with tears, Amy ran off in the army, in her father's arms.
Leticia and Felicitae trudged through the maze of tight caverns and tunnels, following Jacob's path of torches and chisel marks.

"He must have been mining a vein of copper here," Leticia said, her hand trailing a wall with green streaks violently cutting into the cavernside. "You can see the marks from a pickaxe along the cavern."

Felicitae inhaled. "Yes, I can sense that he spent a lot of time here," she replied thoughtfully. "We can't get caught up in that, though. We need to find th--"

BWAAARP. Faintly, they could hear a warhorn vibrating from the surface. The cave began to gently tremble. "It's beginning," Felicitae said grimly. "We need to keep going."

They eventually reached a steep dropoff. The looked below them, seeing a single dimly lit torch propped against the wall. "How did he get down there?," Leticia asked.

Felicitae pointed to a rope tied to a stalagmite. "That's how," she said."

Climbing down on the rope, Leticia looked nervously for a foothold. "To your left," Felicitae called from the bottom. "No, down a little."

Leticia groaned. "You're not helping, ma," she grunted, putting her foot on a ledge. She exhaled. "See? I found one on my own."

The ledge collapsed.

Screaming, Leticia held onto the rope as she slid down the dropoff. Felicitae was doubled over, laughing. "Ow," Leticia moaned. She stared at her hands, which were blistered from having the rope slide on her hands. Felicitae walked over. "Let me fix that," she said, putting Leticia's hand in her own. The skin on her hand settled, returning to its natural pale colour.

Leticia examined the palms of her hands. "Thanks," she grumbled. Felicitae simply smiled. "Let's keep going."

They both looked ahead, and saw an ambient, red glow at the end of the cavern.

- - -

Jacob got out of his tent. He looked around - nobody in sight. Two spires had collapsed, and the air was filled with a faint dust that obscured the sunlight. "Hey!," he yelled. "Papi! Amy!"

He turned to Amy's tent, which was crumpled to a heap on the ground. He put his hand at the back of his neck. "Crap," he said. "Not good."

He wandered around aimlessly, waiting for someone - anyone - to show up.
Amy fired an arrow blindly in the direction of the Elephants. She knew immediately that it was going to miss. Reaching into her quiver, she grabbed a fistful of air. She cursed, and got out a wrench from her back pocket. Not caring anymore, she whipped it over her head.

Meanwhile, everything was in chaos. Lihzahrds were screeching and crawling in every direction. The hooded archers occasionally shot a disorganized volley of arrows into the direction of the Elephants, but everyone knew there was no way of beating a single one of them without the help of the Golems, which were, by now, long gone - they couldn't keep up with the crowd and were obliterated by the Elephants.

The Lunatic was very powerful, but outnumbered six to one. He occasionally launched a thunderbolt at an Elephant, but that did nothing except anger them further.

They approached the Dungeon. "Everyone inside!" the Lunatic boomed. "Everyone inside!"

Edmund shoved Amy away. "Go!," he said. "I'll catch up."

Amy ran with the disorganized infantry into the darkness of the Dungeon, and Edmund watched as the Elephants approached.

- - -

Felicitae walked along the beach of ash and obsidian, one hand clutching Leticia's arm, the other holding Jacob's doll. Demons cackled all around them, and waves of lava swirled along the coastline of the infinitely large cavern. Serpents of bone could be seen in the lava, and bats engulfed in flames continued to illuminate their way. The smoldering heat made it hard to see. Going up a precipice, a demon came down in curiosity. Felicitae looked at it in the eye. "Take this doll," she said, holding up Jacob's doll. "You will protect it with your life." The demon obliged, grappling Jacob's doll with its legs. Felicitae grew teary-eyed, and her voice cracked. "You have my blessing," she said. "Thank you."

The demon flew into the air, its beady eyes glittering in the dim light of the surrounding fire and lava. Immediately, the world around Felicitae and Leticia began to tremble immensely. Chunks of ash fell from the ceiling, and all around them, the ground disintegrated into the lava. Suddenly, they were in the air, falling into a pit filled with an inferno.

As the two fell, the fires parted. A pillar of magma shot up, opening into a hand. It grabbed the two as they fell, and descended back into the inferno. The earth continued to quake even more intensely.

Near the Dungeon, Edmund looked at the elephants. They bellowed as spires collapsed on them, crushing their delicate legs. The lead elephant - the one possessing the spire - sank into the ground, eyes locked on the Dungeon. Soon, there was silence. Edmund looked around him, not seeing anyone, not knowing where he was. He forgot his name.

Near what was once camp, Jacob looked around him, to the spires in the sky. He watched as they collapsed on themselves, the earthquake reassembling the world around him. Mountains rose, valleys fell. He watched as the black rock around him reverted to natural colour. As soon as the violent earthquake had started, it ended.

Suddenly, Jacob heard a thud behind him. Whirling around, he saw the naked body of a man. Jacob stood silently as he watched the man weakly prop himself against a tree. He inhaled shakily, somehow knowing exactly what he had to do. "What's a good fake name?," he thought, walking up to the naked man. He spoke. "Hello," he said. "I'm Andrew, your guide."

Criticism is welcome!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom