Biomes & Nature [Sprites] Sky Biome Expansion

It's been quite a while since I have been to this thread. I've done some thinking and I'm making a ton of cuts. Some things will be gone but it doesn't matter too much, I got a backup saved on my tablet.

Changes to Souls of Flight

Wyverns will now drop 3-6 Souls of flight and souls of flight will be dropped by all sky enemies at a 20% chance. Mini boss counterparts will be introduced for the corruption, crimson, and hallowed biomes to balance things out.

Crystal Serpent

AI Type: Worm (wyvern)
Damage: 80 head, 40 body, 60 projectiles
Max Health: 2000
Defense: 30
KB Resist: 100%

Drops:
3-6 Souls of Light
5-10 Crystal Shards

It fires projectiles much like the ones of the weapon of the same name. The mini projectiles deal half damage. This enemy is found in the underground Hallow.

For the crimson there is no more of a fitting thing than this suggestion found here. The gut of cthulhu would have to drop souls of night to fit in with the other worms.

World feeders will start to drop souls of night.

Alongside the sky islands there are smaller sky islands without structures scattered around. There are also scattered clouds around. That way there's enough room to actually experience all this kind of stuff. Fallen stars no longer impact cloud blocks and will simpy pass through them.

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

The harpy npc will spawn if you have killed a wyvern and there is suitable housing in the area where harpies can spawn.

The harpy has a few things that might help you for sale.
Harpy Roost - 10 gold
It serves as a fast travel location of sorts, if you talk to the harpy you will be able to select a location to travel to as long as it not underground and there is a harpy roost there. It allows quick travel without the teleporters and massive amounts of wire everywhere. The travel in this manner is free, you did overpay for something very simple after all.

Wyvern Repellent - 50 gold

It is a 1x2 furniture item that makes it so wyverns don't spawn within a 25 block radius. In addition to that the wyverns will not enter the area willingly. You don't want one of them killing off your NPC's in a futile attempt to kill you right? Of course after I made this item Snickerbobble made a thread about making the sky islands hallowed, it was a better solution than my item.

Sunplate Blocks - 10 copper each

Now you can create massive structures with that appearance without taking them from dozens of worlds. Although redundant it never hurts to have an additional source of a building material. Especially one you don't have to farm.

Cloud - 10 copper each

Now it's renewable, one moment.

Rain Cloud - 10 copper each

Now the building I want to make will be easy to get without creating dozens of worlds.

Shiny Red Balloon - 2 gold 70 silver

Another way to get that item, although this method is probably unnecessary.

Bird Down - 7 Silver

This is a material that is used in ammo. I would have made a spell too but I lacked an idea.

Quotes of Possible Quotes
Got some suggestions for some Harpy lines.

Harpy 'Can-Can you preen my feathers?'
'Do you ever get the urge to screech?'
'My brethren aren't as timid as me, so you should watch out from those razor feathers!'
'I need you to clean up this mess. Don't worry, it's not going to corrode your flesh or anything like that.'

Hopefully you like them! I support this thread, always thought that the sky islands needed an expansion.

Looks great, I have an idea for the Harpy quotes:
"What's with all the squawking? I'm sorry. I just wish my harpy friends would learn some manners..."
"Up, up and away!"
"Sunplate, sunplate! Only 24 copper each!"
"What was that? You say you found a harpy statue? Oh my!"
"It's a good day to fly hard!"
"I heard there's actually a harpyfish somewhere in the sky! You know, he used to be a close friend of mine."
"Have you seen any floating islands around? I love the way they build the harpy shrines these days..."

So yeah. Hope you like the quotes. I think this idea is really great, especially the Harpy NPC. It's like a sky Truffle!
Keep up the great work.
Harpy Warrior
index.php

Sprite by @DerpoTheMagnificent

AI type: Bat
Damage: 60
Max Health: 300
Defense: 20
KB Resist: 70%

Drops:
1% Razor Talons
50% Feather
.5% Giant Harpy Feather

These start spawning at the very start of hard mode, these spawn in place of the normal harpies for the most part. They throw feathers twice as accurately but at half the rate.

Giant Eagle
index.php

Another sprite by @Pinelord

AI Type: Vulture AI
Damage: 50
Max Health: 500
Defense: 20
KB Resist: 80%

Drops:
1% Eagle Egg

Spawns on the flying islands at the beginning of hard mode.

Griffin

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

AI Type: Flying
Damage: 65
Max Health 600
Defense: 30
KB Resist: 90%

Drops:
100% Griffin Hide 2-4
.5% Griffin Saddle

It spawns after one mech has been defeated.

Sky Pirate

Damage: 50 for machine gun, 80 from the propeller, 40 for the rest of the plane.
Max Health: 1000 body, 750 for the propeller
Defense: 40 for body, 60 for propeller

Drops:
50% Propeller if the plane dies without the propeller being destroyed.
100% Plane Parts 1-4

What it does is that it will fly toward you firing at you rapidly. It cannot angle it's guns so it only fires directly ahead. It takes a significant amount of time to turn around but has a decent speed once it gets up to full speed. While it is trying to turn around it appears to slow down until it appears to stop moving. It then turns around and starts to move toward you again. If it runs into a block it instantly turns around and gains some speed, however it avoids running into blocks so the only way that will happen is if you use the ice rod or quickly place a barrier.

If you destroy the propeller the plane catches fire and begins to dive toward the ground. Upon crashing it explodes dealing 80 damage in a small radius and killing the plane. When the body dies the enemy dies.

These only appear in the sky after the steampunker has arrived and appear rarely.

Harpy Phoenix

index.php

Another sprite by @Pinelord

AI Type: Bat
Damage: 80
Max Health 750
Defense: 40

Drops:
50% Burning Feather

It lights you on fire when it attacks you. It spawns post plantera.

Harpy Thunderbird

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

AI Type: Bat
Damage: 80
Max Health 600
Defense: 40
KB Resist: 70%

Drops:
50% Electrified Feather

It attacks all players with electricity if they are within 8 blocks. This travels instantly so it is nearly impossible to dodge, better keep your distance. It can't go through blocks fortunately.

Armored Wyvern

index.php

Sprite by @DerpoTheMagnificent

AI Type: Worm
Damage: 120 for head, 80 for body
Max Health 10000
Defense: 50 for head, 60 for body

Drops:
100% Wyvern Armor 4-7
100% Souls of Flight 5-10

This is a post golem enemy, you better have a piercing weapon.
16 plane parts
1 Propeller
24 Cogs

It is a mount that provides flight. It has a limited amount of fuel as shown by a fuel gauge next to it. Pressing backwards slows down your speed and pressing forward speeds you up. The faster your speed is the more fuel you use. Pressing up and down is pretty much self explanatory, that's how you change your angle. There are a few options for how to turn the plane around.

1 If you hold backwards long enough you will slow down and eventually turn around.

2 By pressing a certain key you turn around.

3 By flipping upside down you roll so you are now facing the other direction.

You may use your weapons while in the plane. Minions that require land would be nearly impossible
to use, fortunately I introduced a summon weapon in this post.

Landing and staying in place refuels the plane. Running out of fuel makes you start to dive toward the ground and you will take fall damage. The fall negation from wings won't help at all but the fall negation from the lucky horseshoe will.

Razor Talons - accessory

When flying you deal 50 contact damage to enemies twice per second.

Phoenix Talons - accessory

Razor Talons + Magma Stone + 5 Hallowed Bars

When flying you deal 60 contact damage to enemies and you light them on fire. Doesn't stack with the razor talons.

Eagle Egg - pet item

It summons an eagle pet for you (but it is just an egg, how do you get an adult eagle from it?) Irrelevant.

Griffin Hide - Material

It is used in an armor set, a non class armor.

Griffin Saddle - Mount

Oh come on, like you wouldn't want to ride a griffin.

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

Burning Feather - Material

Used in creation of another classless armor set.

Electrified Feather - Material

Another classless armor set is made from these.

Wyvern Armor - Material

It is used in the sunplate equipment

Bird Shot

1 Bird Down + 50 Musket Balls at a hardmode anvil

8 Damage
.5 Knockback

Tooltip: Fools birds into attacking your enemies

How it works is that a bird projectile will spawn off screen when you hit an enemy. It deals 1/3 of the damage of the projectile that spawned it. The projectile has an odd damage potential because of the next thing. The projectile has a 40% chance to deal no damage then fly away, a 40% chance to hit the enemy then fly away, and a 20% chance to hit and bounce off for another hit. Because it bounces off it doesn't activate the invincibility timer so you can unload a ton of ammo while a flock of birds tears the enemy to shreds. This item doesn't work underground.

Down Arrow

1 Bird Down + 50 Wooden Arrows at a hardmode anvil

10 Damage
1 Knockback

Tooltip: Fools birds into attacking your enemies

Basically works the same as the previous item, just go read that.
Griffin Armor

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

Griffin Helmet

12 hallowed Bars
4 Griffin Hide

14 defense
+10% critical hit chance
+10% damage
+5% flight time

Griffin Breastplate

24 hallowed Bars
10 Griffin Hide

15 defense
4% critical hit chance
+5% flight time

Griffin Greaves

18 Hallowed Bars
6 Griffin Hide

14 defense
5% increased damage
10% increased movement speed

Set Bonus: When struck you gain a damage buff depending on how low your health is. The damage boost is 1% per 1% of missing health, the duration is 1 second per 25% missing health.

Phoenix Armor

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

Phoenix Helmet

12 Chlorophyte Bars
5 Burning Feathers

16 defense
13% damage
+5% flight time

Phoenix Breastplate

24 Chlorophyte Bars
10 Burning Feathers

17 defense
4% damage and critical chance
+10% flight time

Phoenix Greaves

18 Chlorophyte Bars
5 Burning Feathers

16 defense
5% movement speed and critical chance
+5% flight time

Set Bonus: You regenerate 1 health per second per enemy with the "On Fire!" debuff within a 5 block radius.

Thunderbird Armor

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

Thunderbird Helmet

12 Chlorophyte Bars
5 Electrified Feathers

9 defense
+17% damage

Thunderbird Breastplate

24 Chlorophyte Bars
10 Electrified Feathers

10 defense
12% increased damage
+8% critical chance

Thunderbird Greaves

18 Chlorophyte Bars
5 Electrified Feathers

9 defense
+5% increased damage and critical chance

Set Bonus: You have a 10% chance to cause an electric attack at all enemies within a 10 block radius when you hit someone. The damage is 3/4 of the damage you dealt. With the megashark you deal many weak shocks but with the stake launcher you cause a devastating multitarget attack.

Sunplate Armor

index.php

Sprite by @Pinelord

Sunplate Helmet

5 Wyvern Armor

17 defense
+14% damage
+7% critical chance

Sunplate Breastplate

10 Wyvern Armor

18 defense
+8% damage and critical rate

Sunplate Greaves

5 Wyvern Armor

17 defense
+5% movement speed and critical chance

Set Bonus: Doing damage adds to your flight duration. Every point of damage adds .01 second up to your maximum flight time. In addition it adds 1% flight speed per 10 damage up to +50% speed. The bonus ends when you land.
Propellerang

3 plane parts
1 Propeller
12 Hallowed Bars
8 Souls of Flight

Damage: 16-256
Knockback: 1-12
Use Time: 30
Velocity: 2-32

It is a boomerang that acts kind of like the demon scythe projectiles, it starts off slow but speeds up exponentially gaining power along the trip. When it hits an enemy it slows down dramatically (losing a large amount of its power). If it hits an enemy while going slow enough it returns to you without a visible return trip. It can pierce infinite enemies HOWEVER the situation where that will happen is really unlikely. Upon hitting a wall it returns to you instantly.

If you saw that high number and that use time and are going to complain about it being overpowered read the next sentence. It takes time to get up to that level of power, you would exceed the dps of that with most hardmode weapons. This is a situational but effective long range weapon.

Aerial Array

12 Cogs
4 Plane Parts
1 Propeller
8 Souls of Flight

Damage: 16
Knockback: .5 for guns, 3 for bombs
Use Time: 10

It summons small planes to attack your opponents. It attacks by moving toward the enemy firing its rapid fire machine gun toward the enemy. 20% of the time it flies over the enemy and drops a bomb on the enemy. The bombs deal double damage. It will avoid running into enemies and deals no contact damage.

Sunplate Bow

2c6Jxql.png

Sprite by @Haloboy01134

15 Wyvern Armor
30 Fallen Stars

Damage: 60
Knockback: 3
Velocity: 8
Use Time: 27

Arrows pierce 5 times and cause a single star to rain down at the point where an enemy was hit. This is very deadly against enemies that are in tight quarters. The stars don't pierce enemies.

Sunplate Spear

F6fxyyy.png

Sprite by @Haloboy01134

15 Wyvern Armor
30 Fallen Stars

Damage: 64
Knockback: 6
Velocity: 10
Use Time: 28

This weapon spawns one star projectile when you strike an enemy. It is kind of like a spear form of the horseman's blade but it lacks homing capabilities.
I'd prefer if a melee weapon was added because vampire knives and scourge of the corruptor seem more like thrown weapons. So long as they remain melee this wouldn't be necessary.

Wyvern Staff

index.php

Damage: 50 for the body, 70 for the head. Both are summon damage.
Knockback: 4
Mana Cost: 10/second
Use Time: 60
Velocity: 6

It summons a wyvern to drop down and start attacking. How it works is that the wyvern will follow the cursor and damage enemies as it makes contact. If you stop clicking the button then the wyvern will start to go back toward the sky.

Before someone starts complaining that the console version would not get the full use of this item don't bother. I won't address such comments due to the other items that rely on the cursor.

Flock Staff

Damage: 43
Knockback: .1
Use Time: 60
Mana Cost: 6/second

It isn't a summoner weapon, it is kind of like a magic missile but more interesting. When you use this three birds will appear and fly toward your cursor. When they hit an enemy they bounce off as opposed to piercing, that makes them deal significantly more DPS. After 9 hits another bird will appear in the group allowing more hits but increasing the mana cost by 3/second. After 12 more hits a fifth one will appear with a similar effect. The amount of hits required to make a new bird increases by 3 per extra bird as does the mana cost. You can get up to 11 at a time which is a mana cost of 30 per second. When you release the fire button they only have three more bounces.

Jetstream

Damage: 70
Knockback: 6
Velocity: 12
Use Time: 29

The closest comparison to this weapon would be a flamethrower. As opposed to the spraying of the flamethrower projectiles the projectiles of this connect to each other so it looks to be one long projectile. If you turn rapidly then the projectile won't reach very far, wait a moment and the projectile will go back to reaching far out. It doesn't consume ammo and the damage has been increased to compensate for it. This isn't balanced around the elf melter, it is balanced around the buffed elf melter from Scarecrow's suggestion with the fuel canisters from SzGamer227. Aside from the odd projectile pattern this has nothing really unique to it, so it will deflect enemy projectiles in the direction of the jet stream projectiles. Now the whole thing about the projectiles connecting is a much better benefit.

Griffin Staff

Damage: 75
Knockback: 4
Tooltip: Takes two minion slots to summon

This summon deals extra damage depending on the damage of the enemy it's hitting. It deals 1% more per 5 damage the enemy deals. It is applied after all other damage modifiers, it isn't just added with the other modifiers. So if modifiers brought the damage up to 100 and it attacked an enemy that dealt 200 damage the attack would deal 140 damage before defense.

Harpy Talon

Damage: 90
Knockback: 2
Use Time: 6
Velocity: 7

This will be the game's first projectile claw weapon. It fires feathers in a 90 degree cone that only reach to the length of the breaker blade. The feathers slow down as they fly lowering their damage to half at minimum speed. That way it has a tolerable range but it still is best up close. As with other projectiles that slow down melee speed bonuses increase the distance of the projectiles.

It is found in the sky biome chest
index.php
when you unlock it with the appropriate key
index.php

All the sprites in this section were by @Pinelord.
Key of Flight
index.php

15 Souls of Flight at a workbench

You know how these work. Moving on.

Skyware Mimic

skyware_large_mimic_by_its_a_me_m4rc05-d9ag856.gif

Sprite by @It's a me!

AI Type: Mimic
Damage: 90
Max Life: 3500
Defense: 34
Drops:
100% 3 Gold Coins
20% Flying Island
20% Shooting Star
20% Storm Cloud
20% Blessed Wing
20% Wyvern Whip
100% Greater Healing Potion
100% Greater Mana Potion

Damage: 66
Knockback: 12
Use Time: 44

It is a large flail that looks like a small flying island. While the item is selected the flail will be out even if you didn't use it yet. While it is in this passive state it will hurt enemies and it will try to stay within 5 blocks of you. You still throw it in the direction of the cursor when you click. As long as the cursor is held down the flail will try to stay at that point, there is a limit on the distance you can walk away before it begins to retract (12 blocks sound ok?). You might be wondering at this point why this isn't a yoyo. Well it doesn't gain the benefits from the yoyo accessories, you can't just move the cursor to move the weapon, and it doesn't bounce off of enemies.
This is a gun

Damage: 45
Knockback: 2
Use Time: 30

Stars spawn to strike where you struck. I could have worded that better. Think holy arrows but in a bullet form. The difference is that the amount of stars it spawns is a random number between 1 and 3 and they rain down to the spot that was hit.
This is a magic weapon

Damage: Special
Knockback: 0
Use Time: 17
Mana: 4 per second per stack

Left click releases a cloud which follows you and attacks enemies. You can release 5 at a time and when more than one is made it will merge into the other one. This grants new effects. Right click puts some of the cloud back in the container to conserve mana.

1 Stack: 23 damage bolts of lightning strike twice per second

2 Stacks: 34 damage bolts of lightning strike twice per second. They bounce to another enemy dealing 2/3 of the damage to the second enemy.

3 Stacks: 37 damage bolts of lightning. Hail projectiles drop from the cloud dealing 30 damage.

4 Stacks: 41 damage lightning bolts. Hail projectiles deal 40 damage.

5 Stacks: 45 damage lightning bolts which bounce twice. Each bounce is 2/3 of the previous one. Hail projectiles deal 50 damage. The cloud turns into a tornado and drags enemies within 6 blocks of the center toward the center of the tornado. The tornado is 3x7 but doesn't cause damage on its own.
Accessory
2 Defense
Tooltip: Extends flight infinitely

Before you start freaking out at me for making an infinite flight item I have something to say. It extends the flight of other items infinitely, it doesn't make you able to fly infinitely by itself. It ends up taking two accessory slots when you bring in the other item. I'll put some hypothetical situations down below.

Player has this and frostspark boots - As simple as it could be. You can use the rocket effect for as long as you want.

Player has this and wings - Again simple. You have an infinite flight time. This makes it so gliding is impossible.

Player has this and sandstorm in a bottle - Again it's very simple. You can extend the duration of the effect as long as you want and restart it at will. Balloon accessories might now be viable in the late game.

Player has this and a cloud in a bottle - There's no way to extend the duration on this one. You can however do as many jumps as you want with this one.

Player has this and bundle of balloons - This is more complicated. The jump effects can be extended infinitely (aside from those that are impossible) and when you stop using that effect it will move on to the next one. When the final effect is used it will cycle back to the first effect.

Notice how it says wing and not wings. If you got a better name say it.
It's a single hook that has the hook part look like a wyvern head.

35 Block Reach

15 Velocity

Here's what makes it special. If you don't hook onto anything you and the hook will be dragged toward each other so you still go half the distance without grabbing anything. It doesn't move fast enough for you to have sustained flight with this thing.

This is the first enemy I made which had the money dropped filled in.

Now I can almost guarantee that you will have a question, concern, or complaint.

I am suggesting as many ideas as I can so the developers can pick and choose as they please, I don't expect all of these things to be added (or any of them for that matter).

Last edited:
An armor set for both a thunder bird and a fire bird. Now you just need one for an ice bird ;P

Anyways, this seems pretty cool. The ideas aren't bad.

An armor set for both a thunder bird and a fire bird. Now you just need one for an ice bird ;P

Anyways, this seems pretty cool. The ideas aren't bad.
I was going off of certain mythological birds, I don't know any ice ones to be honest. Though that would be pretty cool.

And thank you, not bad is the best I can go for in one days work. :D

I was going off of certain mythological birds, I don't know any ice ones to be honest. Though that would be pretty cool.

And thank you, not bad is the best I can go for in one days work. :D

I was making a Pokemon reference :p

And when I said the ideas aren't bad, I meant that personally, I like them pretty well. They are some good ideas for something that I think would be cool if it had more content. A bit more to do.

I was making a Pokemon reference :p

And when I said the ideas aren't bad, I meant that personally, I like them pretty well. They are some good ideas for something that I think would be cool if it had more content. A bit more to do.
Oh I see, for a pokemon reference I could figure something out.

What would you like expanded upon? The weapons?

Oh I see, if there's anything you want added feel free to ask. And thank you for the compliment to my thread.

Sure thing! If I think of anything, I will tell you.

And just to add, maybe the Harpy NPC needs platforms to stand on like a bird would? I dunno, just a random thought :p

Okay I added a couple weapons made from the wyvern armor. If someone can figure out what a good armor set would be I will add an armor set.

A good improvement on the original thread. I like how it spans all of Hardmode slowly gaining more content, instead of just giving everything to you at once like Plantera and the Dungeon. Well done crackshot!

A good improvement on the original thread. I like how it spans all of Hardmode slowly gaining more content, instead of just giving everything to you at once like Plantera and the Dungeon. Well done crackshot!
When I saw a notification from you I knew it would brighten my day. Thank you. Anything you want added?

Edit: Just added sunplate armor.

Last edited:
I like this.
But the Razor Talon seems like it could be a bit cheap, you just need to touch an enemy and it deals 50 (60 with Phoenix) damage twice per second? That's 100 DPS (120 DPS with Phoenix), and if you just get some damage boosting equipment and high defense, that'd be pretty OP, especially if you pair it with end game weapons.

I like this.
But the Razor Talon seems like it could be a bit cheap, you just need to touch an enemy and it deals 50 (60 with Phoenix) damage twice per second? That's 100 DPS (120 DPS with Phoenix), and if you just get some damage boosting equipment and high defense, that'd be pretty OP, especially if you pair it with end game weapons.
Damage boosting items don't affect accessories or armor.

Oh. Still, 120 DPS with just standing in one spot is still OP if paired with good weapons.
Fair enough, but wouldn't you be able to fight better without being in contact with them (so you don't lose health)? Also hard to stay in place midair.

Edit: I really messed up the math.

Last edited:
Certainly the NPCs and enemies are excellent ideas, but a single floating island isn't much space to experience all of this. Can we expect to see at least more cloud blocks up there, so that islands can be connected by short flights and it feels like a more legitimate setting to fight these creatures in?

Certainly the NPCs and enemies are excellent ideas, but a single floating island isn't much space to experience all of this. Can we expect to see at least more cloud blocks up there, so that islands can be connected by short flights and it feels like a more legitimate setting to fight these creatures in?
Excellent idea, I'll do that.

Back
Top Bottom