Biomes & Nature [Sprites] The Vigor: A land of undiluted abstract force.

DJEN

Terrarian
Abridged
-What did you expect, anyway? The weather's always stormy!
-The Artisan wants it gone.
-Abstract, polygonal, and always bright!
-Thorny foes desire to inject destructive forces.
-Fight a big, big yarn...thornball...thing to get good stuff!
-Thorny bushes are an universal theme.

In Length
I was inspired by the people in this forum to make this suggestion. It follows the quintessential "chaotic biome suggestion" formula with some unfitting features(and a sliver of unique ones) here and there.

Many people tend to add some "civilized aspects" to the chaotic biomes that they come up with in order to make them more unique. The Sensation and The Torment being the most well-known examples. Although doing so is a great tactic that adds uniqueness and immersion, resulting in higher support rates, it is not a preference of mine.

The two official chaotic biomes, The Corruption and The Crimson, have minimum trace of civilized aspects, in the form of altars. No cloth-wearing enemies, no cultists, and no artificial loot balls(although the shadow orbs give off some suspicion.). AKA, an chaotic, feral, and invasive force from the great beyond, that somehow managed to earn a force that followed it for some time.

That will be the main template that my chaotic biome will be following.

After that, I want its theme to be centered on abstraction, sharpness, energy, and alien-ness. Its spawns will take forms of abstract shapes and creatures of energy, with no familiar features to comfort(or horrify) the player.
So, here's...
The Vigor
Think of rolling hills of stark-white grass dotted with silver-leaved trees.
Think of silvery caverns dotted with cristal shards that emit intense, but pale light.

The catch is, the leaves of the plants are more like lackluster glass needles. The trees are crooked in many places, with pale, unhealthy-looking Crystal thorns jutting out of the crooked parts. Thorny-looking fungal bushes also populate the hills.

Bidewood1_zps6htsumru.png

The trees of the vigor have heavily crooked trunks, with gray, shardlike barks. They also have vigorous shards protruding out from the crooked areas. About the leaves, they are unrecognizable messes of vigorous shards. That's all.
When cut down, they will drop bidewood, which can be crafted into furniture, like the other chaotic biome woods.
(Apologies regarding the quality of the sprites. They were done very lazily, and, coupled with my general inexperience with pixel art, became a gross mess.
Oh yeah. The tree sprite is outdated. By the way.)

Underground, the crystals mentioned earlier are sharp enough to pierece thick leather boots, and fragile enough to break into fine dust, embedding itself in the skins of many, inflicting a unusual condition upon them.
They birth hazardous creatures after some time, by the way.

VigorLandscape_zpsqvqqwjsh.png

The Vigor's underground is similar to that of the other chaotic biomes in structure.
The typical loot ball/boss summoner in the form of force kernels
2qFGMmF.png
(done by BryTheGamer), and the chaosforce altar in the form of the thorn altar.
Its vigor cavities have vertical drops and horizontal tunnels reminiscent of the corrupt chasms, which intersect at small cavities, similar to the crimson bowels.

However, with its spawns being advantageous while inside corralled spaces, its tunnels barely allowing the player to pass(1 pixel=1 block in the above picture unless I resized it), and its cavities posessing environmental hazards, it will be quite different.
Injector_zpsxxvmftxy.png

Injector
-Flying AI
-75 HP
-23 ATK
-1 DEF
Drops:
-102 Copper Coins(100%)
-1~2 Vigor Thorns(33%)
A standard flying envoy of the forces of chaos. Nothing special here.

VigorSphere_zpsmqjuxdzt.gif

Force Sphere
-Cursed Skull AI(altered)
-25 HP
-24 ATK(Beams)
-0 ATK(Melee)
-5 DEF
Drops:
-88 Copper Coins(100%)
They act similar to the cursed skulls. However, when they are less than 7 feet away from the player, they try to keep that distance and stay out of blocks. After 4 seconds in that state, they begin to rapidly fire beams that are similar to the magnet sphere's, only differing in their monochrome coloration and nonexistent knockback. They spawn pretty frequently as well.

VerveBouncer_zpsdsa7wiar.png

Verve Bouncer
-Has two unique AIs for two different environments
-56 HP
-17 ATK(Verve Spines)
-22 ATK(Melee)
-18 DEF
Drops:
-130 Copper Coins(100%)
-3~4 Verve Spines(66%)
-1~2 Vigor Thorns(33%)
When in front of walls, it slowly floats toward the player with high knockback resistance. It also passes through blocks in that state.
When not in front of walls, it bounces along the terrain, trying to keep a distance of about 9 feet from the player. It shoots verve spines at the player at that state.

BideShell_zpsfs4ezahh.png

Bide Shell
-Explodes after 7 seconds of being under 7 feet away from the player and spawns vim bolts with explosion
-84 HP
-0 ATK(Melee)
-9 DEF
Drops:
-135 Copper Coins(100%)
-2~3 Thorn Jacks(100%)
-1~2 Vigor Thorns(33%)
It only drops its items when killed by the player.

VimBolt_zps39ahfgd2.png

Vim Bolt
-Star Cell AI(altered)
-25 HP
-28 ATK
-6 DEF
A mini star cell that does not split in death, that's all.
Items from environment

(Sprite done by 652Graystripe)
Vigor Thorn
-A pointy-looking white thorn. Kinda stout.
Dropped by: Injector, Verve Bouncer, Bide Shell
Material for: Bide Crystal(Thorn Altar), Asbestos(Placed Bottle/Alchemy Table), Ideal Rosette(Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil)
Tooltip: Ooh, it tingles!

VSpine_zpsi7cclhfz.png

Verve Spine
-Long and pale, it's a spine, alright.
Dropped by: Verve Bouncer
Material for: Vigor Arrows(Anvil)

VFungi_zps2w0lwo1y.png

Vigorous Fungus
-Coral fungus, but pale and jagged.
Grows on Vigorous grass.
Material for: Vigorous Powder(Workbench)

Jacks_zpsmwkfsnfg.png

Thorn Jack
-White-gray jacks, triangular. Stays in place after a couple low bounces. Sticks to enemies and damages them 11 times.
Dropped by: Bide Shell
Throwing Weapon
6 Throwing damage
Critical chance: 25%
Use time: Fast(21)
Velocity: 7
Knockback: 0
Tooltip: Really sharp, may stick to enemy flesh

Peprey
-Is this even a fish? All I see is a thorn-covered spike!
Caught in The Vigor's waters.
Material for: Pep Potion, Amp Potion(Placed Bottle/Alchemy Table)

Bleached Beta
-White-gray beta fish with long, silky fins.
Material for: Amp Potion(Placed Bottle/Alchemy Table)

Stiletto Loach
-Not to be confused with a Rapier Loach, really. It's a shortsword with autostab, not a spear with autojab.
Melee Weapon
21 Melee damage
Critical chance: 4%
Use time: 15
Knockback: 4.1
Tooltip: Not to be confused with a Rapier Loach.

Crafted Items

VArrow_zpsgq7qp1ok.png

Vigor Arrow
-Arrow with long, pale tip. Pierces once. Pierces armor.
Made with: Wooden Arrow(5), Verve Spine(1)
Results in 5 Vigor Arrows
Arrow
15 Ranged damage
Velocity: 2.6
Knockback: 5
5 Armor penetration
Tooltip: Penetrates enemy armor

VPowderV2_zpshhovv7lw.png

Vigorous Powder
-Gray powder pouch.
Made with: Vigorous Fungus
Results in 5 Vigorous Powder
Material for: Bide Crystal(Thorn Altar)
Can be bought from the Artisan in blood moons
Use time: Very fast(14)
Velocity: 4
Tooltip: Repels the Dearth

Asbetos_zpsleilecwp.png

Asbestos
-White, silky strands.
Made with: Vigor Thorn(7)
Results in 1 Asbestos
Material for: Bunker Jacket(Loom)
Tooltip: Looks harmless to me!

BCrystal_zps0fykb0wy.png

Bide Crystal
-A miniature force kernel. You know the deal.
Made with: Vigor Thorn(15), Vigorous Powder(30)
Results in 1 Bide Crystal
Tooltip: May empower a random bouncer

Pep Potion
-White potion in a diamond-shaped bottle. Increases Damage, Use time, Velocity, Critical chance, and Movement speed by 8% for 5 minutes. No, this isn't what you think it is.
Made with: Pepray(1), Deathweed(1), Blinkroot(1), Bottled Water(1)
Results in 1 Pep Potion
Tooltip: Most stats are increased by 8%

Amp Potion
-Light gray potion in a round bottle. Doubles stat increases done by potions.
Made with: Pepray(1), Bleached Beta(1), Deathweed(1), Shiverthorn(1), Bottled Water(1)
Results in 1 Amp Potion
-Tooltip: Doubles potion potency
Being loot balls, the force kernels drop items when smashed.
As with all loot balls, they follow the standard loot table, consisting of weapons for melee, ranged, and magic users, an buff accessory, and a light pet.
To compensate for The Vigor's hostile environment, the items will be superior compared to their Corruption/Crimson counterparts.

Melee weapon: Rosette
-A yoyo that generates 10 two-feet-long spines that circle around itself after hitting an enemy. The spines dissipate after 2 seconds.
16(yoyo), 19(spines) Melee damage
Critical chance: 4%(yoyo), 10%(spines)
Use time: Fast(24)
Velocity: 16
Knockback: 3

Ranged weapon: Repulsor Rifle
-A pre-hardmode equivalent of the gatligator. Expected something else?
6 Ranged damage
Use time: 8
Velocity: 7
Knockback: 0
Tooltip: Oh god, why is this thing such a PAIN to aim?!

Magic weapon: Force Scepter
-Pre-hardmode magnet sphere. Shorter range, low pew-pew rate, and miniscule knockback. Monochrome in coloration as well.
21 Magic damage
Uses 8 Mana
Use time: 34, 13(Beams)
Velocity: 2.6
Knockback: 1

Buff accessory: Denial Bandana
-General Damage, Projectile Speed, Use Time and Knockback increases as your HP lowers, reaching the limit of 20% at 5% HP. It's a white bandana, by the way.
Tooltip: You become stronger as your life decreases

Light item: Verve Pellet
-A small(half the size of the other light items) white ball with some thorns on it. Emits as much light as the other light items, but in pure white. It revolves around the player in a figure-8 pattern, and cannot go through blocks.
Vigor's Pinnacles
-Consisting of 11 mobs layered on top of each other, it initially spawns as a ball of vibranium spines that is about the size of the Eye of Cthulhu. It fires vigor thorns at a slightly slow rate, and behaves in a similar manner to the Verve Bouncers.

After you destroy the first layer, another layer, which has some Regulator Strands(which are pulsing with energy) emerging from it, shows up. It's also smaller than the first, and lashes at the player with its strands, as well as firing vigor thorns and floating,bouncing jacks. Its movements become quicker, and now randomly leaps over the player.

As you destroy the boss layer by layer, its size decreases, and the amount of strands composing the layer increases. Its bounces will gradually become more varied in height, and it will occasionally suspend itself in midair using 3~5 Regulator Strands(which deliver damage, by the way) However, the attacks merely increase in frequency. Sans the strand-launching part, that is.

Right before the final layer, the boss is barely larger than the player, emitting cerulian-white Vigor Flames, and is made of Regulator Strands only, resembling a burning yarnball. It will no longer attack using spines or strands. Instead, it will attack by firing its flames. This time, its movements are the aspects of it that stay the same. They are more quicker, though.

If you destroy it, the final layer(the core), made of Vibranium will be revealed. It is enveloped with white-cyan Vigor Flames(even more than the layer before it), and fires them at the player. It now circles the player in a inconsistant figure-8 pattern, with somewhat reduced speed.
-600(per layer),6600(in total)HP
-15=>21(Melee, Strands),21=>30(Verve Spines),35(Vigor Flames) ATK
-20=>0 DEF

Drops
-2 Gold, 50 Silver (100%)(At destruction of core)

-13~17(At destruction of first layer), 10~13(The others sans the yarn layer), 16~20(At destruction of core)
Vibranium Ore (100%)
Material for: Vibranium Bar(Furnace)
Tooltip: Constantly vibrates in high frequencies

-9~14(From the second layer til right before the yarn one), 20~25(The yarn layer) Regulator Strands (100%)
Material for: Vimthread Armor, Penetrator Pickaxe, Feverent Axsaw, Pole o' Scrubbin', The Basher,(Anvil)
Dark gray strands, pretty glossy.

-Vigor's Pinnacles Mask (14.29%)(At destruction of core)
If you want to be an land urchin, try this mask.

-Pulsuating Yarn (5%)(At destruction of core)
Tooltip: Summons a Tiny Bouncer

-Vigor's Pinnacles Trophy (10%)(At destruction of core)
A chunk of the first layer, with strands jutting out from the used-to-be insides.

Inspired by Plantera, obviously. However, I think I made it well.
Of course, this is just my opinion. Feel free to judge.
With Regulator Strands and Vibranium Bars, you can make useful items. They will have slightly higher stats compared to their Corruption/Crimson counterparts to reward the player for their rigorous ventures in The Vigor.

Vibranium Bar
-White-gray metal ingots with a lack of luster.
Made with: Vibranium Ore(3)
Results in 1 Vibranium Bar
Material for: Vimthread Helmet, Vimthread Chestplate, Vimthread Leggings, Penetrator Pickaxe, Apex Punisher, Feverent Axsaw, Pole o' Scrubbin', The Basher, Vigor Bow, Vertex Render, Vertex Catcher(Anvil)

Vimthread Armor
-Gray-white in color, full set gives the player a shifting, blurry aura.
The female varient does not cover the arms, instead of the standard abdomen.
It's bland, but I'm content with it. Do give me critique, though.
19 DEF
Set Bonus: 8% increased Damage, Velocity, and Attack speed

Vimthread Helmet
-Light gray helmet with a crest originating from the forehead and ending at the hindhead, sharply. The sides possess thorny ornaments directed to the back.
Dark gray surrounds the crest's base.
6 DEF
Made with: Vibranium Bar(15), Regulator Strands(10)
Results in 1 Vimthread Helmet
Tooltip: 5% increased Critical Strike Chance

Vimthread Chestplate
-Light gray with dark-gray at the neck, abdomen, and the sides.
The female varient has light gray elbow pads and light gray gauntlets linked with dark gray strands instead of a proper covering.
7 DEF
Made with: Vibranium Bar(25), Regulator Strands(20)
Results in 1 Vimthread Chestpiece
Tooltip: +8 Armor Penetration

Vimthread Leggings
-Light gray leggings with dark gray surrounding the knees and the feet.
6 DEF
Made with: Vibranium Bar(20), Regulator Strands(15)
Results in 1 Vimthread Leggings
Tooltip: 10% increased Movement Speed

Tools and Weapons
Penetrator Pickaxe
-White, looks dangerous. Useful for busting monsters, though.
Made with: Vibranium Bar(12), Regulator Strands(5)
Results in 1 Penetrator Pickaxe
70% Pickaxe power
15 Melee damage
Use time: 19
Tool speed: 16
Knockback: 4.5

Apex Punisher
-It may look bland, but it's effective.
Made with: Vibranium Bar(10)
Results in 1 Apex Punisher
55% Hammer power
20 Melee damage
Use time: 30
Tool speed: 19
Knockback: 5

Feverent Axsaw
-An axe with a thorny saw for a head. Neat, isn't it?
Made with: Vibranium Bar(12), Regulator Strands(5)
Results in 1 Feverent Axsaw
75% Axe power
19 Melee damage
Use time: 20
Tool speed: 15
Knockback: 6

Pole o' Scrubbin'
-Instead of a blade, the tip sports a big ball of needles. Combined with its low knockback and fast use time, it looks as if its "scrubbing" an enemy. It's a spear, by the way.
Made with: Vibranium Bar(10), Regulator Strands(5)
Results in 1 Pole o' Scrubbin'
Melee weapon
10 Melee damage
Critical chance: 14%
Use time: Very Fast(12)
Velocity: 4
Knockback: 3.72

The Basher
-This time, the ball of needles is on a leash. Yep, it's a flail this time.
Made with: Vibranium Bar(10), Regulator Strands(5)
Results in 1 The Basher
Melee weapon
20 Melee damage
Use time: 44
Velocity: 12
Knockback: 7

Vigor Bow
-Looks jagged and stuff. Definitely representative of The Vigor.
Made with: Vibranium Bar(8)
Results in 1 Vigor Bow
Ranged weapon
25 Ranged damage
Use time: 19
Knockback: 3.3

Vertex Render
-Sword with a thorny look to it. No, really. The base of its blade has two thorns on it.
Made with: Vibranium Bar(14)
Results in 1 Vertex Render
Melee Weapon
20 Melee damage
Critical chance: 8%
Use time: 15
Knockback: 4.1

Vertex Catcher
-Lined with white, this fishing pole sports a thorny ball as a bobber.
Yes. the "thorny ball on something" has become a trend here.
Made with: Vibranium Bar(10)
Results in 1 Vertex Catcher
Fishing Pole
20% Fishing power
The Dryad, being a character common in popular fantasy works, fits well with The Hallow, a lighthearted, saccharine mashup of many popular fantasy tropes.

This connection falls apart when an alternative comes into relevance.
For example, The Cyber is a pristine, metalic utopia run by machines. The Dryad, being a tree spirit, doesn't seem like a being that would support it.

The same principle applies to The Vigor and its will-be counterpart, The Dearth. Due to them being loosely themed after art styles, a new NPC is required.

The Artisan
-A man with golden hair who wears a leather jacket. He also has a beard and a mustache. In short, he looks like your typical art teacher.

He mostly sells what The Dryad sells(Seeds, Sunflowers, Plant Walls, and etc), but has some different items in store.
For example, he will sell a Stone Mover instead of a Dirt Rod, which lets you select a maximum of 9 stone blocks and move them freely, at the cost of constant mana use.

Unlike The Dryad, he summons a couple(2~5) of Surreal Sculptures near the enemies to defend the villagers. The sculptures' main method of attack is generating a green, circular pulse that has a range of 15 feet and deals 18 damage.

He is named after famous real-life sculptors and famous artisans in various works of fiction.

Quotes
General
-I used to be a land sculptor. That's why I sell "gardening supplies."
-I believe you can get rid of The Vigor.
-The Vigor's an disgrace to [World Name]'s face!
-If you became my patron, I'd make a special piece just for you... Oh, never mind.
-Lovely day today!
-If life gives you rocks, make sculptures, not catapults.

Referancing Other NPCs
-[Arms Dealer's name] looks quite glum. Was he expecting a woman or something?
-[Painter's Name] seems to drone about me "not being an art man."
Do keep in mind that this is a work in progress.

Last edited:
its really cool, but also monocromatic.
the sprites needs a change but its a good thread.

I like how precise you were about the suggestion. As for me it takes me forever to get on point. The biome itself is not bad. However i would recommend you create more iterating monsters because a few of them look much alike , one last note . Don't use all white its a bit of an eye sore use shades of blacks and grey too.

I can definitely help you with some sprites. What do you need the most? I'm not too good, though, so avoid too much complexity.

This is pretty cool.
I'd like this.
Maybe, to go along with the alien, chaotic theme, everything has a randomly shifting, light-grey aura that shifts and moves, like a blur when you're in the biome.
Just an idea.

Anyways, I support.

Quote reply session.

I can definitely help you with some sprites. What do you need the most? I'm not too good, though, so avoid too much complexity.
Well, here are a set of choice-requests:
-Making a better tree sprite
-Making sprites for 5 items
Feel free to choose. If you think of these requests as a unnecessary burden, do act according to your own will.

This is pretty cool.
I'd like this.
Maybe, to go along with the alien, chaotic theme, everything has a randomly shifting, light-grey aura that shifts and moves, like a blur when you're in the biome.
Just an idea.

Anyways, I support.
I'll reserve the aura effect for future hardmode mobs.

Well, here are a set of choice-requests:
-Making a better tree sprite
-Making sprites for 5 items
Feel free to choose. If you think of these requests as a unnecessary burden, do act according to your own will.
It may be a while, since I'm busy and somewhat swamped, but I'll probably get to them over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom