"Start in hardmode" challange playthrough

Sora_92

Terrarian
The other time, I did the Crimson Challange, which was very fun too, so I was wondering what playthrough to do next, and as far as challanges concerned there was this idea I saw several times before too, and decided to give it a try. the "Start in hardmode" challange!

You can easily change a newly generated world to hardmode via T-edit, by like putting a single tick at the "hardmode?" somewhere at the map's properties.
This means, that the map is, in every way resembles a pre-hardmode world, but it is in hardmode. This matters because there's no V, nor anything built or any bosses downed. So, this is a clear start, but in a hardmode world.

The first map I generated for this, I selected "expert mode" and... you got this...

00.png

A simple blue slime turns into a muscleman bodybuilder boasting higher stats than on master mode (I think. did not tried master mode yet)
This is because on expert, in pre-hardmode, most things has their stats doubled, BUT in hardmode, their stats increase again! This is why this simple gelatinous lifeform turns into such a tough guy. A wooden sword would do like 1 dmg to it, because of its def, but I figured you can deal with them with traps similar to what I used against face monsters and the like on Crimsed Island. However...

00b.png

Bodybuilder blue slimes are one thing, you can kill them this way by roughly 200 clicks (you sometimes deal crit. which deals 2 dmg! yup, like facing a dungeon guardian... XD lol) the problem is, they're not the only thing to deal with.
A wraith floated in and despite my best effort, killed the character. They are tough. Then a possessed armor ran in through the non-zombie-proof door, and that was quite fatal too. Possessed armor, like face monsters, can open doors, so zombie-proof doors are essential here too.

But so I thought this is actually no fun. These enemies are way too tough, and there's no real fun clicking 200 times to kill a blue slime... So, I decided to try again, on a normal mode map!

-----------

So, the actual playthrough starts here!

map.png

This is the map - that random name gen named "Rest of the Pigron". Sounds like a fancy name for an inn or something XD lol Anyway, so, Time for a challange here. On a normal mode map, set to be in hardmode.

01.png

Our main character here is a boy named Yuuta.
Unlike Flann's island, this spawn point looks totally like the usual.
And indeed it's really totally normal the daytime. Although the guide is armed with fire arrows, but what we have here are normal mode green and blue slimes, that have very low stats, and are no way a challange to defeat even with a wooden sword.

But anyway, first thing is, building a house.
I noticed on the other, that the first night was full moon (werewolves!) so, I thought so set up traps for them, and then just slowly chip away their health with a wooden sword, but I didn't manage to set up adequate traps, and they ran away the morning (just imagine getting a moon charm on the first night!).
zombie-proof doors are a must, due to possessed armor, but this is less crucial with some trenches set up for them. They jump surprisingly high though, so I had to dig the trench deeper after. The real problem are wraiths! You can withstand one hit from them (we're on normal mode!) but not more. And you have a wooden sword. Roughly 150 clicks what it takes, to save yourself. Sometimes you manage, sometimes not... Luckily, wraits are very rare, and you only get one at a time. There's usually no more than 2 in a single night.

And you might will be rewarded with something amazing for putting up a valiant fight with this pitch-black menace.

02.png

At the daybreak of the 3rd day, a crazy battle with a wraith (the 2nd one that Yuuta managed to defeat) left this treasure on the floor.
A violent fast clock, which become the first item to be equipped by him.

The previous day, I spent with scouting the nearby area, which let me finding a HUGE vine of iron ore not very far to the east. This allowed for an anvill (I would rather bought one, but these things drop little money, so no merchant yet), this large iron sword (when facing a wraith, this modifier is just very useful!), and a reinforced fishing pole - which was the main thing I wanted as soon as possible!

The next thing was, getting money, and luring in the good old merchant with it. Eventually he moved in, so could buy a few things.
Bug catching net, which is a must for my plans here. it also helps raising money by catching random critters and selling them.
Sickle. As I noted on it in the Crimson Challange too, don't look down on this amazing weapon! While it has a low dmg. it has... autoswing!!! Which means, here, this weapons is made against wraiths! While swinging it (just by keeping your finger on the mouse button, no need to click 200 times with it!) it will make sure a wraith never gets too close. It was a pathetically low attack, that means it does like 1 (2 if crit.) dmg. to wraiths, but it will defeat them without any problems, and without the character taking any dmg from them. Of course, that's for 1 vs. 1 with a wraith. don't try it when facing multiple enemies XD

After this, I went looking for more iron, to get another thing I needed. A bucket. (also found a crystal heart!) I did actually used the "water duplication glitch" here, because there was no lake near the spawn, but I think it's justified, since this simple depends on worldgen. There could just been a normal lake there.

03.png

And fishing in the brand new lake, yielded this beauty, as I expected. My theory proven true, that you can catch pearlwood crates here! And this is what my stategy is built on regarding the challange.

Not just that, this even more impressive beauty too!

04.png

On this one rainy day (the first rainy day, and for quite some time, the only one) the morning catch yielded 2 mythril crates and 4 pearlwood crates, in addition to a bunch of bass.
Bass by the way, as annoying as it is (and quite useless as food, since it's just lvl. 1, ducks soon become common sight at the lake, so Yuuta got something even tastier than cooked bass. However, bass sells for a rather good price. Got like 3 gold for selling 75 bass. So this doubles as a good money source too, while looking for the crates.

(fishing power is quite high in the morning an the evening, so whenever possible, should spend these time periods with fishing. not every day, but quite often.)

As we know, pearlwood crates have stuff up to 1st tier, and mythril has up to 2nd tier of hardmode ores. So, opening them...

04b.png

Indeed they may yield hardmode ores. Not all of them do, and not always a lot, we're really at the mercy of RNG, but with lots of fishing, eventually it should be enough for things, right?
And not just the palladium, a crate contained this thing as well!

04c.png

The big brother of the harpoon (a mostly useless weapon despite how cool it looks like at first) the anchor is a quite awesome weapon to have. It's not really ideal because of its properties (being similar to the harpoon) but it still boast with amazing atk. power, and can hit multiple enemies too, in certain situations. it's still more useful directly punching and enemy in the face with it.

04d.png

But the really awesome thing was this demonic palladium sword, crafted once I got just enough palladium to craft something.
It takes 12 palladium bars, the same as a repeater, but I thought this should be better, because doesn't risks getting out of ammo. And could made a helmet too, from the same price, (or a pike), but attack matters more than defense here. even with +10 def or something, it wouldn't worth much against hardmode stuff, and you still would have trouble attacking.

This weapon (while I think looks a bit silly, not as cool as the large katana that is the cobalt sword) boasts with incredible attack power and autoswing! Truly a wonderful weapon. And This path settles our character Yuuta as a glass cannon for the time being.

Ah, and, there was also a pair of sailfish boots in a crate. really amazing!

Also, a bottle of tartar sauce...? Well, mini minotauros. A slightly odd pet, having no iddle animation, and just standing there, but I guess it's still kinda fun XD

Armed with these, I decided to tinker a bit with the "town", and built this 2nd house, and had a surprising gues moving in!

05.png

After spawning in the lake and drowing 2 times, he managed to properly spawn inside the house - moved in the bathroom... I wonder if he loves water that much...? XD anyway he has shotgun up for sale for 25 gold! That's a bit expensive here, so I couldn't buy it yet, but it's something to note. I wonder why did he moved in though? I got cursed arrows from some pot, I wonder if it counts as "gun ammo" despite they're arrows (they are sold by him though). there are also silver bullets that drop from pots occassionally, so it could be that, but I don't remember getting such prior to him moving in. Or maybe I just didn't noticed.

Some underground desert expeditions were cut short my the things lurking deep down, but got an extractinator from a house.
The next awesome catch was this!

06.png

Also got climbing claws (which can save your life so many times while you're not immune to fall dmg) and an aglet.

The next target was setting up a town in the nearby desert. For an oasis fishing spot, as well as a cheaper shotgun. There was no oasis, so had to use liquid duplication again.

07.png

Another wraith dropped a 2nd fast clock XD Too bad they don't actually show the time XD well, I guess being a fast clock, they don't show the actual time, but set forward or something?

By the way decided on these elevated buildings as the base architecture style of the place, to protect against wraiths. the main base is not like that, but the spawn is there, so that makes it a bit more complicated, and rebuilding it completely would be a bit annoying too.

Once got more palladium, decided to craft the repeater as well, it come with another... uhh... interesting modifier...

08.png

It's nevertheless with powerful, but this isn't the modifier I would prefer, so the main weapon is still the sword and the achor at this point.

It also proven to be mostly useless, because soon after I bought the shotgun. And crafted golden bullets with empty bullets and gold powder. They are quite formidable, though I didn't really noticed any significant increase in money drops...

Also got the zologist, and bought guide to critter companionship, as well as the squirrel hook, so, had a grappling hook now!

Next time in the caverns though, I found someone I was looking for since the start. Because he was there somewhere since the start of the game, but it wasn't easy to actually find him XD I do think I seen him on the lifeform analyser before, but he despawned or got killed by something. This time too, the lifeform analyser helpfully states there's a cochineal beetle nearby, considering that more important for some reason. I did not found the beetle, but I found the wizard there. Also funny, I only noticed it after he walked away a bit after freed him (and then he got killed by a giant bat or something) that he was sitting on an orange pressure plate linked to a boulder trap right above his head. someone must have hated him... it also makes me wonder why didn't the trap activated with him sitting on it. if witches weight like a duck, I wonder how much an old wizard weights? could be that why he didn't activated the trap sitting on the button? XD lol (I know, those are player-only buttons, but still)

09.png

No more screenshots this time, because I forgot to take some after, but crafted infinite arrow and musket ball pouches with the crystal ball.
My main target would been the tome for the golden shower, but getting the other materials for it is tough, so, Yuuta is ranger class for now, and maybe stays on this path.

I did managed to cross the crimson on the 2nd or 3rd try at it though with this equipment. Which is quite something, considering the practically 0 defense.
I got all the books that I could get from the dungeon without getting a dungeon guardian in the face. which yielded 21 books, so have a bookscase now (10 books) to craft tomes. - And also found the angler! This is important, since fishing is our main source of materials here anyway.

Also managed to kill an ice mimic which dropped an agile ice bow! With, paired up with the fact that it will never run out of ammo because of the endless quiver made it Yuuta's main weapon for now, further strenghteting that he might will take the path of the ranger.

Also managed to fish up enough crates for a cobalt pickaxe (there might be not much that needs its pickaxe power, but it's quite fast, so, moving from copper to cabalt is not bad at all XD) and also some orichalc to craft an anvill - have a few more too, but not enough to craft anything from it at this point. (but the mythril/orichalc anvill is the main crafting station for most hardmode stuff, including wings!)
On the other hand, managed to get more palladium, so crafted the full palladium armor (with the ranger headpiece) which is quite a big step from the practically 0 defense. This armor gives around 20 def or something which is still pathetically low, and thus out hero there still stays on the glass cannon path, but it gives some boost on stats, and well as provides an interesting set bonus. If facing something that does not one-shots him, it can be useful. So, not all the time.

Sometimes you just have really random stuff happening, like triggering a boulder trap while running from a giant bat, or a minecart track leading towards the underground desert, and as soon as you're close, a ginormous worm flies right towards you with the speed of the shinkansen. There was not even a chante to escape that, then the minecart lead right into its mouth... XD
Also, icy merman are awful. They probably killed the character more times than anything else. not that they would be impossible to dodge, but they're usually paired up with various bats, undead vikings, and a turtle, so while trying to dodge those, you really don't want these ranger menaces around. Neverheless managed to get some more crystal hears too. (and used them all (around 5 or 6) at this point, but I was just hoarding them before. because didn't wanted to deal with a blood moon.

Also got a tsunami in a bottle, and frog leg, really could use a goblin tinkerer around. Tried looking for goblin scouts, but didn't found any, so I guess next thing is to smash a crimson heart, and wait for the goblin army...

By the way, I forgot, but.

This is how the map looks like now.
map2.png

Let's compare it with the screenshot of it at the start.

map.png

The crimsoned area increased significantly. I did expected this to happen, so since the start, I was tinkering with quaranteening that area off. By now, it's hopefully done, though I will check it out again, just to be sure.

There are lots of caves there that are helpful in this task, to begin with there's a natural cave in the snow that could, even if it would spread faster, win us some time. luckily, that wasn't really necessary though. The two granite caves, large glowing mushroom area, and the dungeon offer a real lot there, so you just have to connect the dots, and it won't spread past that.

And, so, once that's done, there are no pressing matters that would give us a serious headache here, we can just take our time to get more stuff and prosper.
This really depends on worldgen though. This map is ideal for this challange, but one where the crimson (or corruption) would be at your backyard the 3rd in-game day, certainly wouldn't be all that ideal XD
I like the crimson, but no way I want herplings jumping around my base while I have just a wooden sword... XD

This does brings up the question though about altars.
My theory is, that with a surface glowing mushroom biome, the truffle will move in, and he sells hammush, which has the power to smash altars. this would bless us with early hardmode metals to mine, but carry much risk with pirates, mech bosses and that 1/3 chance of corrupting a random block somewhere. this later part is the real concern which would lead to lots of troubles, if things turn out bad. So maybe should just stay with the palladium armor for now. Mythril or Orichalc is not out of question in case if find more in crates, but that depends on RNG a lot.

There's also no hallow, but I'm assuming it could be easily created artifically once the dryad moves in (after 1 boss is down) because she would sell hallowed seeds. This would allow for an artifical hallow on an area quaranteened from the start, so it would be easy to handle.

I wonder if there's going to be a natural Hollow in this world. Normaly it would spawn when you kill Wall of Flesh and enter hardmode but what will happen when you kill it now ? Will it spawn becouse it was your first kill on Wall of Flesh or will it do nothing becouse you are already in hardmode ?

Also a small question, what's the water duplication giltch you're talking about ? I've never heard of it.

Last edited:
@Quba
I wonder about that, yeah. I'm curious, but I'm kinda anxious too, because right now, the crimson is quaranteened (hopefully), and there's no hallow yet, but could buy hallowed seeds from dryad to create an artifical one. This means this state now is quite ideal, and if a V would spawn, it could really mess up things.

However it should be possible to get ready for such, to some extent. If could defeat (at least) one mech boss prior to WoF, could have access to the clemtaminator.

As for the liquid duplication glitch, I heard about it, and saw it before, but this was actually the first time I used it. You usually don't need a larger lake at your backyard that much, but fishing is super important here.

So, you basically need 1 bucket (only one!), fill it with water, and place some (like 5) blocks, probably in like an U shape above the area you want to fill with water, and stand on the edge of that, and hold the mouse button. You will start moving the bucket. you pour out the water, but the next moment, the next swing of the bucket will pick up some of the water (you pur out more than you pick up) so you will slowly fill the artifical lakebed with water. The U shape is useful, because since water will flow both directions, it will fill up that U shape too, where you can get another bucket of water (without having to come down from there), just in case you would failed to pick up the flowing water, like because enemies disturbed you or anything. The U shape can be destroyed after. And there, you have a lake. Basically it's like the endless water bucket. I don't like to cheat (except when it's about building, where cheat sheets can be very convinient on modded) but it would been awfully tedious to travel far to find a decent lake.

@AMadnessStump12
Well, yes. If it would been there, I would generated another world XD This is not the usual pre-hardmode thing, where it won't convert mud just yet and you can make countermeasures. It would ruin the surface jungle in no much time. The underground jungle is quite safe though, because of clorophyte.

But this setting (jungle and crimson in different sides) is actually kind of difficult here. when you want to reach to the ocean (if you don't have a magic conch yet) you have to cross through either the crimson or the jungle.
one has herplings (and other stuff, but crimslimes and the pre-hardmode stuff aren't really difficult), the other has derplings, turtles, angry trappers, jungle bats and all sorts of other stuff. It's seriously a very dangerous place to travel through.

Continuation.

Since I forgot to take screenshots the later part of the previous large post
This is how the base looked like at that point.

10.png

The roof still needed to be fixed, but otherwise quite alright, but also nothing very special. The usual stuff for early game. well... except a few things, like the shockingly pink orichalc anvill. And there's a meat grinder too, but it's not perticularly useful for anything now.

I used up lots of copper for roofs so I occassionally had to look for more. that's probably why the roof has a large hole on it at this point. even on normal progress, copper makes awful weaponry. but it can be used for somewhat fancy chandeliers and the like, and I thought, how about using copper bricks for the roof? I think it's actually quite pretty XD

My next target was to find a spider cave. I remembered there were at least one near the area I discorevered, when I checked with T-edit (I also checked for a magic conch, which was in a chest somewhere deep in the underground desert. but actually, while quite far from it, but there is a minecart track around the same depth, leading into the desert. this was that one that lead us into the mouth of that huge worm before XD)

11.png

Black recluses are very deadly if they touch you, but as long as you barrage them from far, they're not all that bad, and I was surprised they did not spit web, well, again, this is normal mode XD

(also found some stone golems and one dropped his head)

I did seen the webbed stylist on the lifeform analyser, but a group of recluses cut the spelunking session, as well as Yuuta in half. But this yielded just enough spider fangs for the spider staff.
The next time I found the stylist, the recluses killed her...

And meanwhile...

12.png

EoC started its harrassment. But I was like "nope." and stayed underground looking for the stylist. I decided to look for more crystal hearts before facing that. Of course, it wouldn't possess a real threat, but I guess I just wanted to show it to not mess with me? XD lol

13.png

Found the stylist! Just in time before she would end up as the spider's lunch.
There's also a very random water chest here that is not in water. it has something like a superior trident, but no one really needs that at this point... XD

Poison staffs are also quite common, I got like 6-7 of them though several dives into the spider nests.

After that, (and crafting the queen spider staff) I was wondering about checking out the spider furnitures. I didn't really used them in other playthroughs, because most builds are done in late pre-hardmode, so it's hard to use there for anything if not planned ahead. So, built a house in this area near that underground entrance of the desert. To have a base in case a large worm decides on eating out adventurer.

14.png

Stylist moved in there, despite she probably doesn't likes spiders that much after her incident with them. (well, I didn't tell her to move in there, but she did, because this was the only free housing)
If I was at it, got a new hairstyle as well. Cute, isn't he?

The next expedition led to the desert just ahead where that minecart track leads. The target was the magic conch.

15.png

But before finding that, actually found this guy. I saw him on lifeform analyser or hearing his death sounds before too, but this time he spawned on a place that was just a bit safer, so I could talk him before he would ended up in the stomach of a worm, basilisk, or anything.
I found the magic conch after too, but I needed some spelunker potions for that XD

Looked for more crystal hearts and Maxed out HP, and then...

16.png

We got a blood moon. The clown is quite dangerous even on normal mode (though much less dangerous than on expert) but besides a few clowns, the other enemies weren't much of a problem. got 2 KO cannons, though dunno if I want them. sadly no money though.

Then, since we have the shockingly pink anvill, my next plan was to get wings. At first I thought to just get demon wings, since I managed to get quite some soul of night, but then the next rainly day I thought to try my luck with ice golems. I didn't found any the previous rainly day, but this time...

17.png

One spawned, and, not just that, but at this place, so, the spider and the sergeant united shield eventually killed him. I didn't wanted to be in its line of sight.

18.png

And great luck, he dropped a feather. (don't know where this golem was anything with feathers, but whatever XD)

So, the next target was looking for wyverns. that took a while, and it took 4 wyverns to get enough soul of flight, but featherfall potion and the ice bow proven good enough against them. dodging can be difficult sometimes though. and they are quite formidable enemies.

At some point around here, I went to smash a crimson heart too, but no goblin invasion yet.

But after 4 wyverns, crafted the wings. and that night, EoC decided it's time to harass again.

19.png

And I was like "well, alright, let's see"

And about 5 seconds later...

20.png

EoC was down. XD That was extremely pathetic. According to the DPS meter, I did 401 dmg. per second, so, no wonder it wasn't a long battle XD Plus, this is normal mode EoC we're talking about, who is a trivial foe even with early pre-hardmode gear, if you have some HP and know what you're doing.
The crimtane it dropped might be actually useful, for a new fishing pole.

The next day, the dryad moved in, and as expected, she's selling hallowed seeds as well. Don't know where to create an artifical hallow yet though.

And that is where we are in the playthrough now. Waiting for a goblin invasion, because really could use a goblin tinkerer around...

Continuation.

While waiting for the goblins, made an artifical hallow biome, and then decided to try building something for the ocean pylon. Seen some build of a lighhouse somewhere so, thought to try to build something on that line, but then...

21.png

The goblins finally decided to try to invade.

21b.png

But even with their elite matriarchs (or whatever the goblin summoners are) they didn't really stood a chance. the elevated architecture also kept doors safe, which goblin peons otherwise love to dismantle, ruining your housing with it...
One summoner dropped a shadowflame knife, but otherwise nothing much happened. (there was another invasion several in-game days later, which dropped 2 shadowflame bows, but the ice bow still seem to be superior)

The main "reward" was not that, but...

22.png

Luckily found the tinkerer very soon. And then tinkered some of the equipments together. The amphibian boots are indeed quite awesome, and paired up with the sharkron balloon too, that grants some awesome mobility.

After that, there was a blood moon, so decided to try to fish...

23.png

Sadly no fishing pole, but after a few mob catches, caught this thing... which... well, turned out as too tough, even on normal at this point XD

23b.png

seriously, these things are crazy powerful, and the stuff they drop (with not even 100% chance) is largely outclassed by stuff the time you actually are strong enough to get them...
After this, I caught a blood eel too, but it escaped when the Sun rose...

24.png

After that, looking for stuff, found 3 crimson greater mimics one after the other. they dropped some stuff, but not really what I wanted...
Interesting how ichor stickers are so rare. also, didn't seen a single crimson axe yet...

One of the things I'm looking for is the magic quiver, but so far, no luck with it. not a single one even after 200 skeleton archers down...

Also built a surface mushroom biome, and the truffle moved in. Though he doesn't seems to sell a hammush...?

Also built a graveyard, and then started tinkering with an artifical corruption biome.

25.png

Then there was a slime rain. there was one before too, but it ended before king slime would spawned. This time though, managed to get him to spawn.

25b.png

As expected, it was a pathetic battle, but this one actually put up (a little bit) more of a fight than EoC. since EoC spent most of the battle (that 5 seconds) transforming from phase 1 to phase 2. instead of doing anything like attacking. XD

Then, I summoned a pirate invasion with a map. they mostly just mindlessly fell into the trap at the door and weren't much of a problem. they dropped a cutlass (reforged it after), and a bunch of gold furnitures and some vanity.

26.png

After that, I decided to try facing something actually powerful.

26b.png

It was an actually boss-battle-like battle. Had to use a few healing potions too, but the biggest problem was that the attacks didn't do as much dmg. as I expected. I did won, but it was around 2 or maybe near 3 a.m. so, this turned out to be a very long battle.

I realised it around halfway in the battle, that I don't have anything to apply ichor. so, I crafted some ichor arrows mid-battle (yay for autopause XD lol) but realised in only after that the ice bow - and neither the shadowflame bow - does not shoots ichor arrows, but turns every arrows into ice arrows.

26c.png

I crafted a hallowed repeater with the bars, which seem to be capable of shooting ichor arrows too, and then rematched skeletron prime. this time, it was a much shorter battle.

The ice bow however is an overall very amazing weapon because those arrows aren't really affected much by gravity, so it still will stay to be Yuuta's main weapon.

Sadly not enough bars for a full hallowed armor set yet. so, maybe will face this guy a few more times. While some consider him to be the toughest of the mech trio, he's not all that tough, nor as annoying as the others... XD

27.png

Steampunker moved in, and to my surprise, didn't have a steampunk boiler up for sale... checked on the wiki, and apparently she only sells it, if EoC, EoW/BoC and Skeletron are defeated in a world. I wonder why...? I thought to tinker with some steampunk furnitures, but apparently that needs more bosses down. meanwhile, she does have a flesh cloning vat. So, steampunker who doesn't sells a steampunk crafting station... okay... XD

28.png

Then a traveling merchant arrived too, and he has the fishing pole for sale! Well, it would been much better to get this much earlier, but I bought it anyway.
At this point, there's probably more point fighting sketron prime a few more times for the full hallowed armor, but I still need some adamantite/titanium for a forge, if I want to smelt clorophyte.
So far, no luck with catching even a single titanium crate, but that was with weaker fishing poles. this might will catch some of those elusive crates too. Did caught a very few biome crates though, that could contain adamatite/titanium, but they didn't had any... Though the main problem is that fishing lines break very often. annoying super very often. and still no high-test fishing line, after 20 quests... though got 2 fish-finder components. that's still something.

So, that's how the situation is now. Unusual boss-progression, and other slightly unusual things. If anything, (on normal mode at least) this "challange" is not that tough of a challange, if you know what you're doing. And with these hardmode stuff, you can absolutely obliterate the pre-hardmode bosses, or such XD
There are some unusual materials and stuff too, like spider funitures, and the like, so, overall, it's quite interesting to try some of these things as well, that normally I didn't really used, because most builds were done pre-hardmode in most other playthroughs. I wanted the steampunk furnitures too, but apparently that needs more bosses down. I wonder why...?

it be a bit harder if expert or master
certainly. I noted on that right at the start. but I kinda fail to recognise the fun in clicking 200 times to defeat a normal blue slime, beefed up to be a bodybuilder muscleman. And then you have the menaces of the nighttime...

Though, most of the things learned here, could be applied there too. with elevated builds and stuff, and heavy focus on fishing. even then, that still could be crazy. on expert, stuff will have higher stats than on master in pre-hardmode, and on master... uhh... I don't think that would be much fun... XD

Also built a surface mushroom biome, and the truffle moved in. Though he doesn't seems to sell a hammush...?
He didn't sell it becouse you haven't killed a mechanical boss at that time. Now that you killed one it's avaiable.

He didn't sell it becouse you haven't killed a mechanical boss at that time. Now that you killed one it's avaiable.
Yeah, I checked it on the wiki after, and it says the same thing. Though then again, it's probably not actually necessary at this point XD

Continuation.

Sitting Duck's fishing pole proven to be a big help, for the first time in the playthrough, caught a...

29.png

Titanium crate!
I'm wondering whether the lake size also matters? There's this huge lake here next to my cavern town (which is actually just a refurbished cabin.) So, using this lake a lot too now, and managed to catch a few titanium crates here.

30.png

Sadly, they're not guaranted to have tier 3 ores... that first one I caught had "just" orichalc. Another one however had several titanium bars. Not enough for armor, but I could make a sword or something. I wonder if need that though...?
The main problem is that they are bars. These could contain ores too, and that's actually what I need for the hardmode furnace. No luck with those yet...

So, my plan was to fish some more, and when the rain started as well, I was kind of happy, hoping for a bountiful catch, but...

31.png

Suddenly, there was a solar eclipse. Got a neptun's shell, but otherwise it went pretty event-less. Well, somehow creatures from the deep managed to jump so high from the water that they got in the merchant's house, so there were some casualties. I didn't expected monsters to get in there...

31b.png

The solar eclipse then proceded to led into a blood moon...
Grinding the trapped frankensteins and stuff was very boring, and I didn't wanted to spend the night doing the same with possessed armors, so, grabbed a sonar potion and went to fish XD

A wendering eyefish actually dropped a money though, so this was actually a relatively good catch XD

After that, that I could catch my breath after the 2 events, I looked at the metal bars I had, and realised I have like just enough for the full orichalc armor! So I crafted it.

32.png

I planned to move on to hallowed armor, but I didn't have enough bars for that, and no more mechanical skulls (and couldn't craft any, because it needs bones, which are still locked behind skeletron (the not-prime)

Orichalc is a strange armor. It has this cute pink color, but it's reall a "weapon" of mass destruction. In fact, its set bonus is extremely destructive on the environment, (like cattails and the like, also won't help with finding life fruits either, because you might accidentally cut them, and then the spelunker won't show where they are anymore) so I figured I will move on to hallowed soon afterall... but, there is one boss where orichalc armor shines very bright...

32b.png

I had several (like 5-6) mechanical worms, so decided to use one.
It was at the outskirt of the town, I hoped to be far enough to have NPCs safe, but apparently it wasn't far enough...
I mean, I try to protect them, but they will ocassionally just kill themselves on their own too, by falling into lakes...

32c.png

As expected, the destroyer doesn't likes the flower petals of the orichalc armor, but it was a really tough battle, because of the tons of probes...

32d.png

I managed to win, but it was a close one.
And this one dropped just enough (literally! not even a single hallowed bar left) bars for the full hallowed armor (using those that were there from the 2 battles with sketeron prime. I only used some for the hallowed repeater, so there were plenty left there)

33.png

I quite like the looks of this armor on Yuuta. First I was wondering about the cute pink orichalc as vanity, but I like the looks of this better with the cape and all.

After that, the angler finally decided to give the reward I wanted since the start. The high-test fishing line! Because it's just nonsense to have the fishing line snap so often. It's also a sad thing when you try using sonar, and see a mythril or a titanium crate swimming away...

By the way, I don't like the torches in the lighthouse, I wanted to upgrade stuff here to steampunk, but that set is still locked away...

34.png

After that, had a skeleton archer finally drop a magic quiver, after more than 200 skelton archers down. then I got 2 others as well XD But now I'm wondering if to use them, or not. I quite like the current equipments - although would prefer a fully evolved ankh shield over the plan. still missing 3 components for the charm.

35.png

A few more quests brought us the golden fishing pole, marking we're past 30 quests here. and still no fish finder... uhh... XD This makes sitting duck obsolate, but that one was a good one regardless too, for a little time. With the "quest" still continuing for finding adamantite or titanium ore.

Of course, could just buy a hammush and smash 3 altars, but it would bring way too much risk for a few pieces of ores...

36.png

Besides titanium crates, biome crates also could work. And I just set up an artifical corruption, so tried fishingh there too. no ores that I wanted so far, but this one defiled crate dropped a shadow orb. quite interesting.

37.png

Also though to try to catch a scaly truffle, if I'm at fishing near evil biomes. I had luck catching one relatively fast.
Well, the name of the map is "Rest of the Pigron", again, so, this might be a stylish mount XD Though don't really need in when have those wings.

So, that's how things are now. Looking for life fruits and crates. and ankh charm components.

Of course, could swat some of the pre-hardmode bosses, but since we can just take things at a leisured pace, might as well max out HP before that and stuff XD And we'll need a hardmode forge if we want clorophite bars or any of its derivates, like shroomite... (well, that's for post plantera, and I wanna look around the dungeon before that, but still)

I'm wondering whether the lake size also matters? There's this huge lake here next to my cavern town (which is actually just a refurbished cabin.) So, using this lake a lot too now, and managed to catch a few titanium crates here.
It does, if you fish in small pools you'll be able to see a fishing power penalty with Fishermen's Pocket Guide. If you want to avoid the penalty you would need to fish in a pool with over 300 tiles.

It does, if you fish in small pools you'll be able to see a fishing power penalty with Fishermen's Pocket Guide. If you want to avoid the penalty you would need to fish in a pool with over 300 tiles.
I did remember there was some penalty. the first the lake - near the house - looked like was really small, and mostly caught just garbage. but after making it bigger, I got crates (pearlwood and mythril) I wonder if it would been bigger, I could catch titanium crates too, since the start...? But first I had the reinforced fishing pole, which has just 15% fishing power. although it's significantly better than the wooden fishing pole. but that's still quite weak.

I'm also wondering about the mysterious salmon. I think I read it's a plentiful catch in forest lakes over 1000 water tiles. that must be some huge lakes. but having such a lake probably would be very useful for this sort of challange. It probably would boost fishing power (or at least don't give any penalty) and salmon is probably a better catch than bass.

nevertheless, fishing in forest lakes isn't that bad, because you have only bass, and pearlwood (or wooden) crates being a plentiful catch. you can catch some higher tier crates too, and occassionally stuff like balloon pufferfish or frog leg, but that's pretty much it, which makes managing the inventory easy - especially at early game when you rely on all sort of random bugs as bait, so those do fill up your inventory to some extent.
I mean, bass is annoying, and not very useful, but you can just sell them. and you won't have 5 different possible catch to fill up your invetory after 6-7 catches XD - of course though, some other catches are more useful for potions.

Tip: NEVER EVER EVER craft the ore swords (Hardmode ones especially). They are absolutely WORTHLESS. You're better off getting a repeater/bow, or even a spear.
Abandoning the Shadowflame Bow was also a bad move.

Pretty nice playthrough and challenge tho. :indifferent:

Tip: NEVER EVER EVER craft the ore swords (Hardmode ones especially). They are absolutely WORTHLESS. You're better off getting a repeater/bow, or even a spear.
Abandoning the Shadowflame Bow was also a bad move.

Pretty nice playthrough and challenge tho. :indifferent:
I think you're wrong, especially in this case. The palladium sword was absolutely amazing early in this playthrough. It has autoswing, fast, and has high attack. sure, it lacks range, but it is a melee weapon.
I crafted the palladium repeater too but the ice bow is superior...

the ice bow is also one of the main reason I'm didn't used the shadowflame bow either. because the shadowflame bow is slower.
In fact, it appears so, that the ice bow is just a super powerful bow, and I don't use the hallowed repeater either... XD

Continuation.

Nothing much happened, even though lots of things happened XD

checked with T-edit for radar and found 1 on the whole map. What's funnier, it was literally on the surface, in a small pond in the jungle I somehow missed because it was just slightly farther than the entrance of the underground jungle, so I didn't go there much, besides like once or twice when cartographed(?) the area.
So, grabbed that radar.

Set up a hallow town/fishing spot, and something just dropped the hallow key.
I actually wanted to use crystal blocks, but still no hardmode forge, and I don't have many crystals either.

38.png

Then, soon after, a blood moon happened, and I caught this.

39.png

That's quite awesome, since I never managed to catch this before.
After that though, a blood nautilus cut the fishing session short.

Then, decided to face the torch god. It wasn't perticularly tough, as expected. And...
Do you see something unusual on the picture...?

40.png

40b.png

While I was busy dodging, the spider killed something that dropped the crimson key!
Also got a blindfold like 10 minutes later.

But since floaty gross seem to be quite rare around here, I decided to farm for the vitamins at the artifical surface corruption. It dropped eventually, though it took some time, because a solar eclipse happened meanwhile, so went home to deal with that first.

41.png

With these done, the only missing components for the cell phone and the ankh shield (ankh charm actually, because I didn't have an obsidian skull either, but that didn't took much effort of get) were still locked behind skeletron, so I decided to face him.

42.png

42b.png

Though I made a bunch of potions just because I can, I actually forgot to press "B" before the battle XD lol
It still didn't took more than 10-15 seconds. I used the potions after when dived into the dungeon part to get rid of them XD It surely gave some boost too, but not like I needed that against angry bones...

Taking the medicated bandage would been a good idea, but I only realised it later, and was too lazy to actually which that out. XD
Because, as expected, dungeon enemies are hardly a problem, but spikes still do quite formidable dmg. large part because causing bleeding.

Got a tally counter very soon, and after some more dungeon dives, a nazar as well.

43.png

43b.png

After that, I wanted to tinker with the steampunk furnitures too, so, decided to swat some evil bosses.

44.png

44b.png

Got both down the same day XD lol

After that, I realised they caused a lantern night, as expected, so it would been wiser to fight them on different days, since this way, one lantern night chance was wasted...

Anyway, tried using that for fishing again, and caught quite some crates again... however still no adamantite or titanium ore...

Spent like 3 in-game days tinkering with steampunk cogs, and fishing, and still no ores I wanted.

Then decided to fight the twins.

45.png

45b.png

It wasn't very tough (we're on normal mode, again) still, I got caught in a fire breath for good near the end. Anyway, managed to win.
So, now, plantera's bulb started to grow. And I got the pickaxe axe.
And decided to mine some clorophyte.

And that is where you run into the problem, I've been tying to solve since the very start. need an adamantite/titanium forge! We can ignore adamantite & titanium (tier), but it's needed for clorophyte as well. - and therefore also for clorophyte derivates.

Ever since got sittiting duck/golden pole, and managed to fish up titanium crates and biome crates,
caught around 15-20 titanium crates (~10% chance to has ores) and around 40-50 biome crates in total (mixed. around half are hellstone crates, and most of the rest are seaside crates and divine crates. regardless of biome, they have ~7% chance to have ores) (no need to think too deep about not finding a lava charm either, I'm not actually looking for it now XD)
IF they have adamantite/titanium ORE (not bars! I have around 30 adamatite bars and 45 titanium bars by now, but I need the ore for the forge) they will drop 30 ore at minimum, meaning, a single crate that drops it will be enough. But therefore as expected, not a single crate dropped any!

I think, similar to the other challange, I tried my best looking for what could drop from crates, but RNG just decided to hate me on it for no reason at all, and didn't gave me any of these ores.
So, I guess I will just cheat in - or grab from my storages from another playthrough or something - 30 adamantite or titanium ore, and then make a forge, and smelt some clorophyte.

(naturally, could buy a hammush and smash 3 altars, and mine that 30 ores, but that's all what I need from that, and the risk is way too high for that. which is why I tried my best with fishing. but RNG just decided to not give those ores... so, I guess I will just cheat them in...)

And then will swat a hulking-large bee, and look for Plantera's bulbs.

Ever since got sittiting duck/golden pole, and managed to fish up titanium crates and biome crates,
caught around 15-20 titanium crates (~10% chance to has ores) and around 40-50 biome crates in total (mixed. around half are hellstone crates, and most of the rest are seaside crates and divine crates. regardless of biome, they have ~7% chance to have ores) (no need to think too deep about not finding a lava charm either, I'm not actually looking for it now XD)
IF they have adamantite/titanium ORE (not bars! I have around 30 adamatite bars and 45 titanium bars by now, but I need the ore for the forge) they will drop 30 ore at minimum, meaning, a single crate that drops it will be enough. But therefore as expected, not a single crate dropped any!

I think, similar to the other challange, I tried my best looking for what could drop from crates, but RNG just decided to hate me on it for no reason at all, and didn't gave me any of these ores.
So, I guess I will just cheat in - or grab from my storages from another playthrough or something - 30 adamantite or titanium ore, and then make a forge, and smelt some clorophyte.

(naturally, could buy a hammush and smash 3 altars, and mine that 30 ores, but that's all what I need from that, and the risk is way too high for that. which is why I tried my best with fishing. but RNG just decided to not give those ores... so, I guess I will just cheat them in...)

And then will swat a hulking-large bee, and look for Plantera's bulbs.
I understand that you're worried that the Crimson will spread to much if you destroy the altars but would that really be a problem ? I might have gotten spoiled becouse I played in a world that's almost entirely corrupt so I didn't have to worry about that but even if you got unlucky and the crimson spawned after you brake an alter would it even do much ? From what I remmember Crimson/Corruption start spreading faster in hardmode untill you kill Plantera, which is your next boss you'll be dealing with so the time it would have gotten to spread wouldn't even be that long. Alternativly, you don't have to get the forges now, there are only 5 recepies that are exclusive to Hardmode forges and if the only thing you want to get from them are Chlorophyte Bars, why not wait until you prepare to fight Plantera ? If you make a Pickaxe Axe or the Drax form Hallowed Bars you'll be able to collect Chlorophyte and save it until you decide to brake the altars.

Back
Top Bottom