PC Starting over with v1.3. Is playing on a Normal world "worth it"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyBlue

Terrarian
I stopped playing when the mechanical bosses were the end-game but started fresh with this update. I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything significant by playing on a normal world instead of an expert world. Should I restart on expert before investing too much time in railways and hellivators to partition the world pre-hardmode? I don't need specifics as I'm trying to avoid spoilers on the content, but I would appreciate some perspective before I scrap the world that I've already invested a bit of time into.

If you play Expert Mode, then the game will be a lot harder. However, each boss will drop a unique item when killed. Drop rates for many items have also been increased. That's pretty much it.

I would reccomend expert mode. It is hard and gives you special rewards, but there is more you will gain from it. I guarantee that if you play expert mode and don't give up you will see more of the game than you ever would before.

Depends on how good you are at the game, and whether or not you're into masochism and cheap deaths, and enemies that one-shot you for no good reason other than "IT'S HARDER!".

I'd rather instead of ramping damage up, that they had done what they said they were going to do -- they said they were going to make mobs "more intelligent" with "better AI". Instead, we get an attack or two per boss that's new, and everything has ramped up damage.

Kind of a letdown.

Depends on how good you are at the game, and whether or not you're into masochism and cheap deaths, and enemies that one-shot you for no good reason other than "IT'S HARDER!".

I'd rather instead of ramping damage up, that they had done what they said they were going to do -- they said they were going to make mobs "more intelligent" with "better AI". Instead, we get an attack or two per boss that's new, and everything has ramped up damage.

Kind of a letdown.
If anything, they should take down some of the exploits in Expert Mode. Like how Eater of Souls can't go through the top of platforms and Wraiths can't go very far in the air. Maybe making Green slimes automatically hostile, randomizing boss attack patterns, stopping the Destroyer from bunching up into a ball for free DPS... you get the idea.

Maybe making Green slimes automatically hostile,

They're.... not automatically hostile?

That's news to me. Every playthrough I ever did, the slimes always attacked the Guide and I first-thing. Not that I'm afraid of green slimes, but you know....

They're.... not automatically hostile?

That's news to me. Every playthrough I ever did, the slimes always attacked the Guide and I first-thing. Not that I'm afraid of green slimes, but you know....

Quoted from the Terraria Wiki @ http://terraria.wiki.gg/Green_Slime

"Green Slimes follow the Slime AI, passively wandering during the day but chasing the player at nighttime or after being attacked."

But then again, the Guide goes out of his way to shoot every slime now....

Quoted from the Terraria Wiki @ http://terraria.wiki.gg/Green_Slime

"Green Slimes follow the Slime AI, passively wandering during the day but chasing the player at nighttime or after being attacked."

But then again, the Guide goes out of his way to shoot every slime now....

I mean even before 1.3... seems every start of the game involved me switching to my copper axe, chopping trees down and within 30 seconds or so, here comes a slime headed straight for me and of course it is attacking me, lol.

I've never seen a slime NOT attack me...

Slimes are passive during the day, which means they spaawn on one side of the screen, moving towards the other, damaging anyone on the path if it comes in contact with it. They do not chase players, which is what the "passive" refers to.

I mean even before 1.3... seems every start of the game involved me switching to my copper axe, chopping trees down and within 30 seconds or so, here comes a slime headed straight for me and of course it is attacking me, lol.

I've never seen a slime NOT attack me...
That wiki sentence has been there since June 9th.
I think it's because they naturally travel in one direction towards you, and inevitably jump straight into your hitbox.

I've been wondering what exactly you get in expert mode though.
Is it just the Boss exclusives and higher drop rates?

I've been wondering what exactly you get in expert mode though.
Is it just the Boss exclusives and higher drop rates?

From what i've seen, that is really all that is special to expert mode aside from mobs being "stronger." Granted a the boss exclusive drops are neat and the higher drop rates can "help" i'd rather just stick to normal worlds... once I get my freaking gravity globe that is

I've done about half of Expert Mode and helped some random dude from Vietnam (lol) beat the endgame and I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

If you really like intense challenges then it's worth it but I wouldn't go in it just for the drops, as far as I've seen so far there are only about 10 unique drops and none of them terribly essential. You can get a Fishron mount - meh, the unicorn is better, you can get an accessory that makes slimes passive - who cares? I just place spaces along my hellbridge and the Lava Slimes don't bother me. Most of the rest are there to increase damage given or decrease damage taken, because you'll need that if you're playing EM anyhow and mean nothing in NM.

Many of the mobs aren't that challenging, just.. grinding. Instead of hitting it twice to kill it, you have to hit quadruple times. It's a long slog at times.

I dunno, it's a lot of effort with little reward other than the feeling of conquering a decent challenge, so if that's what you're after then go for it, if you enjoy a more relaxed game then just go NM.

Alright, thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I'll save expert mode for if I still have a hankering for Terraria after "finishing" Normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom