Game Mechanics Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Victor

Skeletron Prime
I was thinking about a mechanic where you could kill yourself to only lose 25% of your coins. This is balanced because you might have survived. I'm not sure where this button/item should be, but I was just thinking about the mechanic.

Edit: The reason this would be helpful (even if you have recall potions/magic mirrors) is that it would be instant. Also, I have fallen in caves many times when starting a new world. so it's either spending a long time trying to get out/kill myself, or leaving and coming back (which also takes awhile).

This feature would not hurt anyone. It's like a reset button.

Last edited:
So, why would someone kill themselves intentionally when they can use a Magic Mirror, Recall Potion, or just exit the world and enter it again?
Sometimes I find myself in places where I can't die. And I have a slow computer so leaving a rejoining is not an option.

Sometimes I find myself in places where I can't die. And I have a slow computer so leaving a rejoining is not an option.
Define place where you can't die. Because if you mean stuck in a wall, you can just mine your way out, and plus, how would you get stuck in a wall in the first place?

Okay, so let me try to picture the situation:

You've decided to empty your inventory and put your recall potions, and all the blocks and rope inside a chest.
You've fallen in a pit (likely one of these corruption chasms) and survived, but can't seem to find your way out.
That's a possibility, because the pickaxe is not strong enough to mine your way out.
You can't rejoin your world because the computer is too slow, and everything else takes too much time.
So instead, you're asking the developers to implement a feature to kill (or safer said: 'restart') yourself,
and thus you're willing to wait for that time untill the devs have implemented it in their next update.

...are you still stuck in that pit?

Define place where you can't die. Because if you mean stuck in a wall, you can just mine your way out, and plus, how would you get stuck in a wall in the first place?
Falling in a ditch, where you have to spend a few minutes drowning yourself.
[doublepost=1556644689,1556644545][/doublepost]
Okay, so let me try to picture the situation:

You've decided to empty your inventory and put your recall potions, and all the blocks and rope inside a chest.
You've fallen in a pit (likely one of these corruption chasms) and survived, but can't seem to find your way out.
That's a possibility, because the pickaxe is not strong enough to mine your way out.
You can't rejoin your world because the computer is too slow, and everything else takes too much time.
So instead, you're asking the developers to implement a feature to kill (or safer said: 'restart') yourself,
and thus you're willing to wait for that time untill the devs have implemented it in their next update.

...are you still stuck in that pit?
The whole point of the suggestion page is to suggest features that would make the game better. It wouldn't hurt people like you, who don't care. But, it would help a lot for people like me, who need to die sometimes.

Also, I never said that this was happening right now.

people like me, who need to die sometimes.
The way you worded that is a little harsh on yourself :dryadwhat:
But I don't see this being implemented at all, as in order to need to kill yourself you'd have to be such a very specific situation. Plus it would be completely useless after just a short time playing. I respect that you feel this would be a useful edition, but there are way more things that could be implemented over this.

The way you worded that is a little harsh on yourself :dryadwhat:
But I don't see this being implemented at all, as in order to need to kill yourself you'd have to be such a very specific situation. Plus it would be completely useless after just a short time playing. I respect that you feel this would be a useful edition, but there are way more things that could be implemented over this.
But it's such a little detail, it wouldn't take an hour to implement.

You made it sound like this would be a waste of time.
And that's because it would be a waste of time. There is no hotkey in Terraria that performs a function that gets completely outclassed so early in the game. Even if it is easy to add (which you shouldn't take for granted, really), how would you go about adding it?

1. Put it in Settings. This makes no sense, as settings are where you adjust gameplay preferences, and nothing you can currently do in settings will directly and immediately harm you like this. It would be completely weird and out-of-the-blue.
2. Put it on the inventory screen. I'm pretty sure 99% of people would click it out of curiosity, die, and wonder why the heck such an option exists. And since you've done a very poor job so far explaining why it should exist... well, those people will probably never have their answer.
3. Make it an item. Now this is just self-defeating, as that gives it the same requirements as the Magic Mirror. In other words, there's the possibility that you will be stuck in a place where you want to commit die and won't have access to it.

Just exit the world and re-enter it. No matter how you slice it, saying that "my computer is slow so this would be my only option" is grasping at straws. Tough it out. It seems like Terraria was not designed to run well on a computer as horrible as yours, and it would be far easier to ask one person to replace his old junk heap than to add this suicide button to the official Terraria build. I really, really doubt that there are many people who would say "exiting and reentering is too much work, I'd rather just ask Redigit to add a suicide button".

And that's because it would be a waste of time. There is no hotkey in Terraria that performs a function that gets completely outclassed so early in the game. Even if it is easy to add (which you shouldn't take for granted, really), how would you go about adding it?

1. Put it in Settings. This makes no sense, as settings are where you adjust gameplay preferences, and nothing you can currently do in settings will directly and immediately harm you like this. It would be completely weird and out-of-the-blue.
2. Put it on the inventory screen. I'm pretty sure 99% of people would click it out of curiosity, die, and wonder why the heck such an option exists. And since you've done a very poor job so far explaining why it should exist... well, those people will probably never have their answer.
3. Make it an item. Now this is just self-defeating, as that gives it the same requirements as the Magic Mirror. In other words, there's the possibility that you will be stuck in a place where you want to commit die and won't have access to it.

Just exit the world and re-enter it. No matter how you slice it, saying that "my computer is slow so this would be my only option" is grasping at straws. Tough it out. It seems like Terraria was not designed to run well on a computer as horrible as yours, and it would be far easier to ask one person to replace his old junk heap than to add this suicide button to the official Terraria build. I really, really doubt that there are many people who would say "exiting and reentering is too much work, I'd rather just ask Redigit to add a suicide button".
You just don't understand.

While I do find a concept of the "I'M COMMITING DIE" button a neat one, Baconfry is right. There are much better alternatives, and you likely need a new computer.

Funny you should say that, because you liked my thread 'Grave Option' which is a direct immediate option in the settings that's physical.

Funny you should say that, because you liked my thread 'Grave Option' which is a direct immediate option in the settings that's physical.
That’s still a preference, and not an action (whereas killing oneself is an action). Preferences are changed through settings. Actions are conducted through gameplay.
You just don't understand.
That’s my line. I think you need to understand that, for personal reasons, I can’t endorse a feature called “suicide”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom