Items (summonable) (stationary) "Decorrupter-Crystal"

Would you like to have such "decorrupting-crystals" in Terraria as shown in the TOW trailer?

• Total voters

witherhitles

Terrarian
As a person that was hyped for TOW, I was looking forward to seeing the game mechanic of the mystic crystals that tend to "decorrupt" the players world in some way.

Not only did it look epic but was a (stationary?) or at least findable object in one's players world. So what's the matter?

When playing trought the game you will find yourself to deal with the Corruption or the Crimson Biome in multiple ways.
When first exploring the world with a new character you'll encounter one of these and need to deal with the threats it brings. Killing either one of the Biome specified bosses is essential for you to make progress in the game and finally be able to e. g. face the Dungeon Guardian and step on.
But during end-game state - more like after you killed the Moon Lord in Expert Mode there isn't much left to do but to start building your base.
As a person that played trough the game many times I came accross this now occuring problem with those 2 biomes.

Corruption and Crimson both spread out.

As a player that wants to improve his world base and the surrounding of it Crimson and Corruption (Holy biome too) both interfere with the way I not just want my surrounding to look like. Both Biomes spread over most "normal" blocks. That changes the type of monsters that spawn, the background, the music and as mentioned the visual apperance of the surrounding too.

Now one could say that there is the Clentaminator to act against that and I indeed cant deny that. But the problem with the Clentaminator is that you will never be able to fully decorrupt your world unless you explore every last inch of your world and spraying it with e. g. the Green Solution. Missing just one block ends up with the Corruption spreading in your world again without you noticing that. And before you realized it your entire Underground till Hell has changed to Corruption/ Crimson - well have fun with cleaning that one up.

Now I was happy to see a better solution to that introduced in TOW. Those mystic looking crystals are exactly that what I want to have in Terraria. As it seems they decorrupt the surrounding in a circular way - (reach of this is unknown tho) - would like to have it endless or at least in a way that it can decorrupt the space between Hell and Surface.

Having such an item introduced into the game would really help to deal with this always occuring problem when building. No matter what you have to pay for it in order to work (compare to the different types of solutions the Clentaminator needs to be powered with) I can ensure you I'd get this helpful tool.

I could imagine such an intem introduced into the game e. g. as a Sentry Summon Weapon (compare to the Lunar Portal Staff or Rainbow Crystal Staff) but it would use ammunition such as the solutions sold by the Steampunker. In order for it to work you had to place it or connect it in some way with a Demon Altar making sure to keep the connection to the Crimsons and Corruptions original cause of existing and spreading.
It's very likely to make this (item?) a craftable one like the Pillar Monoliths, too. Ingredients for it could be stone (as the crystals sit in stone in the TOW trailer), crystal shards or much more expensive ones as neccesary to craft the Drill Containment Unit.

I hope that this idea will get noticed and introduced into the game in one way.

Paraminion

I was thinking about that too, but TOW seemed like it had a story either the corruption/crimson...Terraria is equally threatened by Corruption AND Hallow even though the Hallow is "good". There is no real threat in Terraria of the corruption spreading near your home, and as you even point out, 5 seconds running pointing the Clemtaminator down with Green Solution and you just bought yourself a couple hours of safety. In all my 760+ hours of playing I've NEVER had a direct issue with the Corruption/Hallow taking over, hell if it gets bad I'll just make a barrier of silt 30 blocks down in a 1x30 fashion so it literally acts as an uncorruptable barrier.

Once you know how to create effective barriers against the spreading biomes, they're not very dangerous. And there's no much point completely purifying a world, you would lose access to some drops you can get only at those biomes.

I think (based on what I seen from TOW) that those worlds start off as corrupted/crimsoned? and you need to purify some parts of it to be able to survive and prosper and stuff, isn't it?

While the item is fascinating, in normal terraria, there's probably not much need for it. But I guess it could be interesting...

Overall, I think it would bring some diversity to the game, but I (for some unknown reason) feel like this suits a mod better than normal Terraria
(seriously though, WHY AREN'T THERE ANY MODS THAT REMOVE THE BIOME INFECTIONS)
upload_2019-1-28_10-59-12.png

First of all I want to thank you for your thoughts shared about this topic.

As mentioned above the corruption of the Jungel Biome is very frustrating as you can't change that, what once was jungle, back to jungle but rather into a "normal" Biome such as the standart Forest Biome.
As there is a high chance for the Crimson/ Corruption and Holy Biome to affect the jungle biome (either an entrance to Corruption/ Crimson is surrounded by jungle thus making it spread onto the jungle biomes blocks and corrupting them or one of them is near to one)

- in each scenario you deal with the loss of the most beautiful biome in the game - at least thats what I think -

Now lets talk about the controversial (also mentioned above) barriers one could create to ensure the unwanted biomes not to spread over that certain borderline you set.
In general having such borders is a great way to keep unwanted stuff away from your biomes. My problem with barriers (I've had multiple ones in my world - especially for the desert as it was so damn annoying to have it changed to a corrupted desert) is that barriers act in an artifical way.
As a player that want's to keep the surrounding as natural as possible I do not like those barriers at all as they not just had to go from the surface till hell but it would be difficult to integrate them into the biome you want to shut off with.

I'd like to have a natural way for the biomes to connect and not just a barrier of dirt between each biome. That would be given if there was such a thing as those crystals since you dont have to set clear limits for each biome to spread or not to spread.

Finally I want to talk about some further negative aspects those crystals would bring.

First of them being that those crystals wouldn't acutally fit into the game as Terraria itself has no main story but the Bosses you have to defeat in order to finish the game and the challenges it brings. Honestly that is infact true but tell me - do you think the addition of the frost legion - the Pumpkin Moon - the Frost Moon ... really fit into the game?
Of course they do in some way as they fit with e. g. the years seasons or specific "real world" events such as Halloween (Pumpkin Moon).
So having such a thing introduced into the game could be an idea, too, e. g. as a recurring once-a-year-event. With the event there would be a fast corruption of the players world but they could act against that in similar ways you had to in TOW. Having to kill a larger amount of Corruption specified monsters in order to get such crystal fragments could be an idea.

But without getting too deep into that let's continue with the next negaitve aspect mentioned above.

When completly purified your world you wouldn't have access to the Crimson/ Corruption/ Holy Biome anymore. Or do you really have?

Here is the deal. Having just one Crimson/ Corruption/ Holy block placed somwhere into your world start the process of biome spreading. So to preserve either one of those 3 biomes you could just save one block of each biome type (or just buy Clentaminator Ammo and let the biome spread freely/ buy seeds/ find seeds/ get seeds dropped...).
Due to the fact that they spread it is possible for you to get every Key to a biome-specific dungeon chest in just one world by just creating "fake" or "controlled" biomes. So now that you have one those biome specific monsters will spawn in that area finally allowing you to farm Crimson Keys in Corruption Worlds and Corruption Keys in Crimson Worlds.

My point is that there wouldn't acutally be a loss of the certain biome specific feauters as it's very easy to just recreate one of those. Or you could say it's rather easy compared to the amount of work you had to put into practice when turning a crimsoned/ corrupted/ holy spreaded ex-jungel-biome into a jungel biome again.

Idk, it just feels like an over-complication to an already solvable problem...

I'm by NO means saying I don't like this idea, just how its going to work seems very tedious for the devs to code and figure out in a balanced/reasonable way.
I'd love to see this become a thing, but at the same time ways are currently possible, though this would be a huge "quality of life" thing.

Barriers doesn't have to look unnatural. you can create rather natural looking ones too, considering spreading biomes under the surface spread only if there is an infectable block (e.g. stone) within 3 blocks reach. if it's 4 blocks far or more, it will stay pure. on the surface (where there is grass), thorns can reach farther, so you would need a 6-8 blocks wide space that separates the corrupt and pure areas - it can be a gap, but non-corruptible materials also work, such as clay, silt, wood, bricks, ores, etc.
(obviously making such a natural looking barrier would be a lot more complicated that mining a large gap or blowing up a few dynamites.

The problem with these theoretical crystals having infinite range is, like they would purify the whole world and if you wanna re-create the spreading biomes, it will take a while until they grow big enough again, plus you still would need to set up barriers or they will spread to everywhere again...

As for the jungle though... - hallow does not destroys mud/jungle grass though - it would be nice if there would be an easy method to return it to its original state, if some part of it got corrupted/crimson-ed. (but actually, the jungle isn't quite as weak as it appears first. below the depth where clorophite grows, the organic ore provides a very strong barrier, keeping blocks in its viccinity pure. You can lose parts of the jungle though, and it can't really be reserved (or you need to manually replace dirt with mud) so yeah, it would be nice if you could return it to being a verdant jungle, and not a forest biome, some easy way.

Barriers doesn't have to look unnatural. you can create rather natural looking ones too, considering spreading biomes under the surface spread only if there is an infectable block (e.g. stone) within 3 blocks reach. if it's 4 blocks far or more, it will stay pure. on the surface (where there is grass), thorns can reach farther, so you would need a 6-8 blocks wide space that separates the corrupt and pure areas - it can be a gap, but non-corruptible materials also work, such as clay, silt, wood, bricks, ores, etc.
(obviously making such a natural looking barrier would be a lot more complicated that mining a large gap or blowing up a few dynamites.

The problem with these theoretical crystals having infinite range is, like they would purify the whole world and if you wanna re-create the spreading biomes, it will take a while until they grow big enough again, plus you still would need to set up barriers or they will spread to everywhere again...

As for the jungle though... - hallow does not destroys mud/jungle grass though - it would be nice if there would be an easy method to return it to its original state, if some part of it got corrupted/crimson-ed. (but actually, the jungle isn't quite as weak as it appears first. below the depth where clorophite grows, the organic ore provides a very strong barrier, keeping blocks in its viccinity pure. You can lose parts of the jungle though, and it can't really be reserved (or you need to manually replace dirt with mud) so yeah, it would be nice if you could return it to being a verdant jungle, and not a forest biome, some easy way.
Exactly, perhaps the devs could simply add Dark Green solution that turns Grass/Dirt into Jungle Grass/Mud the same way spreading Corruption turns Mud into Dirt

Back
Top Bottom