Spooky
Stardust
ACCESSORIES:
pygmy necklace
summoner emblem
Hercules beetle
necromantic scroll
papyrus scarab

*These are technically magic weapons, but they share a lot of traits with other sentries(2 minute duration, stationary, etc.) and Yrimir counted it as a summon weapon because it makes the game easier and more fun as a summoner
**I'm not going to count tavernkeep stuff because I only have the Xbox version and because of that I have no experience with them.

At the start, the slime statue is hard to get, and practically required to get the slime staff, so its OK if you just take it from another world or even just get the slime staff beforehand...

If you are a wuss.

Ideally, you should go down to the jungle to look for the statue, because while you are down there you can get some good loot(Hermes boots, staff of regrowth, and moonglow for summoning potions) and in all my summoner playthroughs(i've done two) i've always found it there. also make a mental note of how to get to any beehives you find.

to make an efficient slime farm, yrimir used the wires from a dart trap, a pressure plate that he jump-spammed, and lava to kill the slimes. but I think i have an automatic design that does not require lava or a new spacebar.

if you make a small(12 blocks wide) railway comprised with at least three pressure plate tracks and the ends regular tracks made to bump you and the slime statue at the end then the minecart kills the slimes as they spawn via vehicular manslaughter. because you are being bumped constantly, it is automatic too. Ideally it should go at about a slime a second.

(OPTIONAL) After you get the slime staff, go to the Crimson(if your world is corruption then skip this step) and smash some crimson hearts until you get the Crimson rod. it is technically not a summon because it deals magic damage but it shares a lot of similarities with sentries.

If you want, you can go mining for the basic ore armors because they are just defense, with no bonuses to other classes. it just makes the queen bee fight easier.

Last thing between the queen bee battle that makes it easier is to go fishing in the underground jungle for Variegated Lardfish. Combine this with the moonglow that you got while looting the jungle and a water bottle at a placed bottle and you can get a summoning potion.

Now go to the surface jungle and make a house with a bed there, as well as a small arena. When you summon queen bee, teleport to that house to fight her in your arena. the nice part about this setup is if you die, she will not leave.

you will need to farm her a little bit to get all of the summoner loot, which means crafting the abeemination a couple of times. The recipe is 1 stinger, one bottle of honey(which she drops as well) 5 hive and 5 honey blocks(when water and honey touch).

After 2-3 kills, you should have enough beeswax to make the bee armor and the hornet staff. Good job getting this far, this point is pretty much where the summoner class begins normally.

The last weapon in prehardmode to get is the imp staff. Crafted with hellstone bars, this little guy can not only defeat the wall of flesh, but help you a bit into hardmode as well.

Defeat the wall of Flesh(Despite the summoner class seeming like a challenge, the summoner class is the only class in which I have killed the wall of flesh on my first try). Welcome to hardmode!

head down to the spider caves are(or find them) and do some farming there. The black recluses there hurt, so don't get hit. With good dodging, you will stay alive. You need 76 total spider fangs to get all of the armor, the minions, and the sentry.

Go to the ocean and do a little bit of farming for pirate maps. in the pirate invasion, if you create an invincibility box then your minions will attack pirates and you will not even get hit.(no longer works in desktop and console, the box will need a tall roof to prevent flying dutchmans splash attacks) after 1-3 pirate invasions, you will likely have the pirate staff. If you don't, then just keep farming pirate maps in the ocean.

About now, you could farm the Wall of Flesh for the summoner emblem. It is the first summoner accessory to get, and emblems are nessesary for any class, not just summoners(as long as the emblems are relevant to their classes).

Now you are ready for the mechanical bosses. I recomend doing the twins first(in fact it is practically required for summoners because the optic staff) The optic staff has actually gotten me up to duke fishron by itself.

Using the twins, defeat plantera. This will allow you to buy the tiki armor, 2 hurcules beetles(you will see why soon), and the pygmy necklace from the witch doctor(assuming you have the pygmy staff and the witch doctor in the jungle)

The frost moon does not have any good summoner loot, but the pumkin moon does. pumkin seeds can be bought from the dryad or will spawn naturally in halloween. hallowed bars were dropped from the mechanical bosses, and ectoplasm can be farmed in the post-plantera dungeon.

somewhere about now it would be nice to have the staff of the frost hydra. farming in the snow biome should do the trick. Once you have the frost key, open the frost chest at the dungeon to get the frost hydra.

Now you are able to do the pumpkin moon. The loot you should get here is:
750 spooky wood for spooky armor
2 necromantic scrolls, one for combining with one of the hurcules beetles, one by itself
raven staff
spooky twig(optional, used for spooky wings)

From here, you have 3 options:
1, Get a truffle worm and kill duke fishron. You problably could kill the duke at this point, and the tempest staff is one of the best minions. This item can help you do the solar eclipse and defeat golem. Plus if you get the wings that fishron drops then you will gain a huge mobility boost.
2, kill golem in the jungle temple. He does not have any summons, but he has the picksaw which is nice and will allow you to get the traps in the temple. He is also required for martian madness and the lunar events.
3, farm for solar tablet fragments in the jungle temple and do a solar eclipse for the deadly sphere staff.

You can do any one of these in any order, but to get all summoner items they all have to be done at around the same time. After all of those are done, you should do martian madeness. The Xeno staff is the most important out of this, because it is the best pre-lunar events minion by far. The UFO mount is the other item you should get. it frees up the accessory slot otherwise reserved for wings, to allow the best DPS.

From here, the only thing left to do is the lunar events. kill the cultists at the dungeon, kill the lunatic cultist, and do the stardust pillar first. this will enable you to get the stardust weapons and later armor. If you get less than 36 stardust fragments, then you will not be able to get both the stardust dragon and the cells. here is how to choose:

If during the moonlord fight you are going to do it in multiplayer or use a secondary weapon, then get the cells. otherwise, get the dragon. the dragon does more damage, but will cause invulnurability frames, making other weapons useless.

the Luminite with the stardust fragments can get you the stardust armor, the best summoner armor availible. By then, you might have gotten the sentries that the moon lord drops, such as the rainbow crystal and the lunar portal. if not, just keep farming until you get them(unless you genuinely dont want them.)
With that, you have completed your summoner run! before you go, there are also some general tips for summoners that I have found:

although this does not apply to the "pure summoner" challenge, the advantage to the summoner run is the ability to fire another weapon, particularly ranged. the reason I say ranged is because you are too fragile defense-wise with most summoner armors to be in the front lines, and summoner mana is mostly meant to be used only once, not continuously like most magic weapons. that only leaves ranged.

also, summoners have the advantage that they can dodge better generally than any other class because while their minions attack, they can focus on dodging better. that being said, summoners pretty much require good doging skills.

the most ammount of minions possible at once is 11, and that requires summoning potion, bewitching table, stardust armor, necromantic scroll, pygmy necklace, papyrus scarab, and one base minion.

the highest minion damage possible can be found here, it is too long a proccess to be explained here.(https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...the-strongest-possible-stardust-dragon.33363/)

Thank You! Mages are fun, and definitely the most powerful. Melee is good for both combat and mining, since they get melee speed bonuses and can take a good dozen hits too. Rangers are problably my least favorite, because they cannot take very many hits. Then again, Summoners cannot take very many hits either, but they can dodge easier since it is the only thing they have to worry about. a major weakness of summoners though is the accessories are all used up with minion-boosting things, although I do not see a way to avoid this downfall.
:redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin:

Thank You! Mages are fun, and definitely the most powerful. Melee is good for both combat and mining, since they get melee speed bonuses and can take a good dozen hits too. Rangers are problably my least favorite, because they cannot take very many hits. Then again, Summoners cannot take very many hits either, but they can dodge easier since it is the only thing they have to worry about. a major weakness of summoners though is the accessories are all used up with minion-boosting things, although I do not see a way to avoid this downfall.
:redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin:
Well, if you combine items, or use a demon heart than it frees up slots for mobility.

Back
Top Bottom