Items Suspicious Looking Eye Buff

Flubman

Terrarian
A Terraria Discord server poll (shown below) revealed that the majority of players (or at least close to it) use Wisp and not Suspicious Looking Eye. I imagine that this is because players find Wisp's ability to be moved around more useful than Eye's ability to reveal treasure and enemies. This makes sense because you can only get Eye after you've beaten ML, and at that point, you don't need to find treasure or hunt down enemies. Given that Eye is the only post-Moon Lord light pet, I think it should unequivocally be the best. I propose adding Wisp's ability to be moved around to Eye and possibly also increasing Eye's brightness.

Although, there are players who don't like Wisp because you can control it, meaning that it's sometimes not where you want it to be. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.

1705940819865.png

EDIT: I don't think that Suspicious Looking Eye needs controllability anymore, but a brightness increase and an upgrade to its coolness factor would be nice. One idea I heard (Thank you, Charley) was having the Eye occasionally fire a harmless Phantasmal Deathray that fills half the screen with light. But this is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
A Terraria Discord server poll (shown below) revealed that the majority of players (or at least close to it) use Wisp and not Suspicious Looking Eye. I imagine that this is because players find Wisp's ability to be moved around more useful than Eye's ability to reveal treasure and enemies. This makes sense because you can only get Eye after you've beaten ML, and at that point, you don't need to find treasure or hunt down enemies. Given that Eye is the only post-Moon Lord light pet, I think it should unequivocally be the best. I propose adding Wisp's ability to be moved around to Eye and possibly also increasing Eye's brightness.

Although, there are players who don't like Wisp because you can control it, meaning that it's sometimes not where you want it to be. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.

View attachment 454043
I'm one of the players who doesn't like how you can control the wisp.

The wisp is cuter.

Also, suspicious looking tentacle is locked behind Moon Lord on Expert Mode.
Plus, it's big and gets in the way of the character while the wisp harmlessly floats above your head.

I think at that point in the game, light pets don't really matter besides aesthetic, and there the wisp beats out the eye in every way.

Last edited:
The wisp is cuter.

Also, suspicious looking tentacle is locked behind Moon Lord on Expert Mode.
Plus, it's big and gets in the way of the character while the wisp harmlessly floats above your head.
Agree with all of this. And yea, I love the wisp becuase of its movement, which makes sense for a wisp and wouldnt really make sense to be moved to the sus eye. And besides, if its expert mode then definitely not.

But I understand wanting to buff the eye to make it better deserve its place as an expert mode exclusive and ML drop. Now, I dont play expert mode and dont really know how the sus eye works but it sounds like revealing ores and enemies is already amazing! If its not brighter than the wisp I guess it should be, even though its an eye and doesn't really make sense to be bright?

What if...

I remember when the light the wisp cast as shown on the mini map traveled as though the blocks it went through were all transparent so it illuminated a 7x7 area inside walls at all times (it wasn’t exactly 7x7 because it was a 💠 shape) then they changed it so it only had a 2x2 illumination inside opaque blocks. I think if you want tentacle to be better, give it wisp’s old ability to ignore block opacity.

I don't know... the Wisp in a Bottle and the Suspicious Looking Tentacle are equivalent in brightness. I think leaving it as-is is the way to go, since that lets players choose between a controllable light pet and one that's a bit more consistent.

After talking to some people, I think that what Suspicious Looking Eye needs is not controllability but rather something to make it cooler (like it occasionally firing a Phantasmal Deathray).

i would like to correct everyone that the light pet dropped by ML is the Suspicious Looking Tentacle and not the Suspicious Looking Eye, which is the EoC summoning item. Yes I can see the confusion because the appearance of the pet is a True EoC, but the actual item is the Sus Tentacle.

for me personally, the wisp's movement is sometimes good, sometimes a hindrance
usually it provides a decent bit of light, but i often find myself only emitting mild orange light from my solar armor and barely seeing a thing (when not attacking ofc) because the wisp is inside a block and the light doesn't come out to the open areas, so i could see the point of the eye since it's much closer to the player
the visuals are also a problem for me but that's a personal thing, i don't like how the eye or magic lantern highlight treasure, sure it's a useful gimmick, i guess, but it can get pretty annoying when you're just passing through with a "treasure" nearby with no intention of mining it, and it's even worse in my case due to my 30+ chest mess of a storage centre, since chests count as "treasure" they get highlighted... yeah no thanks... i also just wish there was a way to have light pets emit light but not be visible since it's specifically the wisp/eye that ruins the look of at least three of my characters, but at the same time i need the visibility (i've made a suggestion about an invisible "echo dye" before that would be a fix, but won't link it here because i don't like self-promo-ing)

Back
Top Bottom