Guide T-MEC Tips Collection - Simple to Advanced Terraria Engineering Insights

Yes you could start with 3 right away, but I was envisioning activating more actors later in a process. Also, the reason I made the jump from 4 to 16 instead of 12 is because the 4 actors activate 12 more, and the total is 16 (the initial activators can be active participants in other processes, not just activating other actors). Similarly, 16 actors activate 48 more for a total of 64.

Oh yeah. Right. That's how summation works. Doh.

Dunno if this is known or not, but in the case of simultaneous pressure plate activation, the top most and left most plates seem to have priority.

Edit: How do you do the embedded player for gifs?
Edit 2: I figured it out

Last edited:
I want to introduce my automatic unidirectional airlock v1, inspired by [Project] Motorized Airlock System Lucky Lucky Horseshoe. I've noticed that the original one was designed for mobile, so I'm posting it here.

It takes 3s to pass through it, and possible to simply reduce it to 2s if the water drain will be executed in the end. Originally I wanted a bidirectional system but it looks like it needs to be much bigger with state checks and so on, so I stopped on a unidirectional version and tried to make it compact and fast. Maybe I'll go back to a bidirectional airlock later. Btw I'll be happy if someone can give me an idea on how to shrink it to 6 blocks wide, or other size/time improvements. Also, on the second picture there is a mistake, left inlet pump is not connected to the blue wire.

6e81577958ce4fce8d8770ee863b5d86.png
612794c43a324ad4bd757456d8d4b2a7.png

in the case of simultaneous pressure plate activation
@inomanoms posted about it in another thread, but it's good to have such a straight forwards demonstration reference here, good job!
my automatic unidirectional airlock v1, inspired by [Project] Motorized Airlock System
Wow, that opperates really slick! Definitely deserves it's own thread (especially if not replying to the inspiration thread). :) Don't hide it away in here! In fact...
Here's what I built earlier today:
(as an aside this is a tip and trick?)
I'd tend to agree: let's try and organise threads as logically as possible. I'm not going to complain about anyone posting up their great creations :happy:, but let's try to put them up where they're more likely to be found in the right context, etc. This thread is aiming right down the reductionist end of the technical scale, almost the opposite of magnificent builds. Don't be afraid to make a new thread, take the initiative, etc. Post to a personal thread if you don't think it's worthy (though It probably is), like people post their aesthetic builds elsewhere on the forums. Keep a personal thread anyway, to index all your content (and notable posts)...

Anyway. Here's my fairly epic teleporter 'micro'-tutorial from yesterday:

And a bonus little proof of concept build:
An "Idiot proof timer cascade shut-off mechanism (bi-directional)". It's extremely simple, but hopefully a massive improvement over trying to time a switch click to avoid sending your looped/linked timers into spasm! It's basically just a hoik tooth that stops you hitting the de-activation plate unless both the initiating timers below you are in the on state.

Note also that direction of pulse loop is controlled by wire route length - last timer hit goes first and takes train that way. (Don't know how much of this has been expounded elsewhere...?

An "Idiot proof timer cascade shut-off mechanism (bi-directional)". It's extremely simple, but hopefully a massive improvement over trying to time a switch click to avoid sending your looped/linked timers into spasm! It's basically just a hoik tooth that stops you hitting the de-activation plate unless both the initiating timers below you are in the on state.

My like goes toward this.

Note also that direction of pulse loop is controlled by wire route length - last timer hit goes first and takes train that way. (Don't know how much of this has been expounded elsewhere...?

Nowhere, really. The most substantial reference for the topic is Stahn's old terraria online post. I think timer chains would benefit from a gif series like the teleporter :p. If you ever do something like that, I'm all gung-ho for making a list of aspects.

Shame so many of your pictures got broken. Silly Steam, right?

All the pictures got automatically saved to a local folder, so I could just upload them to imgur and link them. I'm just lazy :p. It would arguably not be worth the trouble because the reset mechanisms have come a long way since they were first built and conceived. We no longer need to use the less efficient junction-based or track-based resets - we can use the vastly superior teleport-based modules that inomanoms conceived, such as those illustrated in my latest thread on giant logic gates.

@Brain Goo How about this one? It's a prototype of my airlock system, sorry for lack of light but I built it first and thought about posting it later. It's more compact, has 4 timers instead of 6, and works fine. I will make a new one with white gemblock walls, for better lighting, but there is one problem I've encountered. Each time the process is run, water accumulates slowly behind actuated blocks. I see you've placed lava to get rid of leftover water, but how doesn't it change into obsidian?

KCctd1H.png
xuH1Ybe.png

UPDATE: This is the most compact version I could come up with. Works just like Brain Goo's one. I've tested it 20 times and no water seemed to accumulate. I changed crab statue to bunny, because as crabs are enemies, they are targeted by stardust dragon, which broke the system once. We don't accept failures here at Aperture Science.
hPJ0HEu.png
g38NDym.png

UPDATE 2: Hey, apparently those bunnies are not as predictable as crabs. Their AI makes them run away from enemies, and sometimes at testing they stood in one place instead of walking on the plate! Dumb pests. I wonder if birds are more reliable and will tell you tomorrow, it's well past midnight here.

Last edited:
Lava over actuated blocks or a chest in a pit prevents the obsidian from forming, making it destroy all water the lava contacts.
ah, right... I remember this working with furniture as well, but since furniture was fixed, I didn't think about chests or inactive blocks...

tNt1tJQ.png
The Architect Gizmo Pack.
Not directly related to mechanics, but I found that if you want to create big buildings, it's extremely helpful. This is what it does:
  • automatically paints blocks that you place down
  • wall placement speed bonus
  • block placement speed bonus
  • +3 placement range

tNt1tJQ.png
The Architect Gizmo Pack.
Sounds good, except for the auto-painting, since (I expect) that means you have to take all paints out of your inventory to avoid using them...?

Anyhow, got my latest Gif up tonight, 5 tips for the price of 1, although you T-MEC peeps will probably already know all of these:
Posted to Reddit with additional notes. I must thank @Thiner for basically telling me how to make that (new design) of teleporter engine, over in another thread earlier today.

One pad, 12 destinations.
I dub thee, the Omniporter
Oddly, you can actually go beyond this by taking advantage of wire lengths. E.g. on the isolated green wires you could have two forks of the green wire, with a switch on either fork such that the each is furthest to the pad on the *other* fork, (and both nearest to the source pad). Well done if you understood that. It's how I was going to show 12 destinations from one pad, but it's equally impractical and 1 way only. I'm unsure what the absolute limit for one pad wiring will be, since the interaction of these two weird techniques is going to be messy... (Hence begins a competition.)

Back
Top Bottom