Biomes & Nature Tar - The fourth liquid!

Would this be fitting as the fourth liquid?

• Yeah!

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No. (tell me how to make it better) (no i don't want to hear your idea)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Does anyone remember back in the early dev days of 1.3 when it was announced that there was going to be a fourth liquid? What happened to that? Anyways, with some inspiration from a profile conversation page with @Milt69466, I have decided to try my best at making a fourth liquid.

kdcROYP.png

So tar will be a liquid that is very dark navy blue, almost appearing as pure black. It flows slightly faster than honey, and generates in large pools in the underground jungle, and rarely in the caverns. If you have a corruption world, it will also commonly generate in the chasms found there.

On contact, it does half as much damage as lava and inflicts a special debuff.

Tarred_Debuff.png

Tarred!
'Yuck!'

It does 2 damage a second, reduces your movement speed, and reduces your light vision.

But thats not even the dangerous part.

When you are touching it, it slows you down as much as being fully immersed in honey.

To make it a little less dangerous, you can run across it if your going more than 15 miles per hour.

kdcROYP.png

So what happens if it makes contact with water, lava, or honey?

Animated_water.gif

Water

When combined with water, it forms a block of concrete.

Lava.png

Lava

When combined with lava, it forms a block of asphalt.

HoneyLiquid.png

Honey

When combined with honey, it forms black onyx shavings.

kdcROYP.png

Concrete_Block.png

Concrete is a new block that looks like the stone slab block, but lighter, grainier, and with no brick lines.

Black_Onyx_Shavings.png
Black_Onyx.png

Black Onyx shavings are a block that drop 1 of itself upon being mined. If you combine 5 at an anvil it will create one black onyx gemstone.
It can craft anything any other gem can, and the staff is made with demonite/crimtane and is even more powerful than amber.

Black onyx can be used to make everything a normal gem can, but everything made with it that creates light will emit a new kind of light, called black light. Black light will act like the real life equivalent, and do something like this to certain colors.
i couldn't find any good photos that weren't gifs

I could only find one thread based on black onyx, so here is the only guy I can find who had this idea already. @neoselket

Anyways thats it for my suggestion. If you have any suggestions to improve on this, please tell me them!

Last edited:
Does anyone remember back in the early dev days of 1.3 when it was announced thatthere was going to be a fourth liquid? What happened to that?
I don't remember that at all! Maybe it happened and I just never saw the official statement, so I'd love to see it now. As I recall it, the game could have up to one more liquid added, not that it would be added.

That said, tar seems like a reasonable liquid suggestion. :)

Only one more liquid can be put into the game, I'm not sure if I'd want tar to be it. Of course there nothing wrong with the suggestion.

Also if I recall correctly all that was said was that one more liquid could be put in, not that one would be included. Of course I might be wrong.

Do not advertise your own threads in other people's suggestions.
If they add a new liquid, it should be something that behaves differently than the liquids we already have.

Tar is basically just an inedible version of honey. It slows you down, it's sticky, etc.

Now Oil, Oil would be worth adding. It's like the opposite of tar, and something we don't really have in the game yet.

I don't remember that at all! Maybe it happened and I just never saw the official statement, so I'd love to see it now. As I recall it, the game could have up to one more liquid added, not that it would be added.
Exactly. They said that the Terraria engine could only handle 4 separate types of liquid. But they never said they were adding a 4th. Just that the game could technically support one more.

Personally, I wanted them to fudge the number of liquids in the game by making it so certain liquids would change colors based on the biome(like water already does sometimes) to simulate different liquids.

Tar is one of a few liquids I've wanted in, though I feel it should have more uses to be worth it. This would make asphalt available earlier in the game, which could be a problem with boss battles, especially the Wall of Flesh.

If they add a new liquid, it should be something that behaves differently than the liquids we already have.

Tar is basically just an inedible version of honey. It slows you down, it's sticky, etc.

Now Oil, Oil would be worth adding. It's like the opposite of tar, and something we don't really have in the game yet.
Oil may be interesting but any possible recipes that could include it could easily be substituted with gel, as it's a flammable material. The tar idea would be more unique than oil I believe.

Oil may be interesting but any possible recipes that could include it could easily be substituted with gel, as it's a flammable material. The tar idea would be more unique than oil I believe.

Sounds like a different philosophy on what would make the liquids more unique; crafting or liquid physics.

Exactly. They said that the Terraria engine could only handle 4 separate types of liquid. But they never said they were adding a 4th. Just that the game could technically support one more.
Just in case you didn't know... Leinfors was the one who caused the "4th liquid in Terraria confirmed!!" thing through a misunderstanding in the chat or something. At least... I remember seeing Lein mentioning it somewhere?

Just in case you didn't know... Leinfors was the one who caused the "4th liquid in Terraria confirmed!!" thing through a misunderstanding in the chat or something. At least... I remember seeing Lein mentioning it somewhere?

Unless there is something I'm missing (as indicated in my initial post . . . I'd love to see a source), no official staff ever said there would definitely be a 4th liquid, only that the potential existed for up to one more (and I originally saw this stated in the pre-1.2 PaperbatVG livestream by Red himself). I've oft repeated this latter statement in Suggestions proposing multiple liquids, and its my guess that this was then distorted into "4th liquid confirmed". I can't seem to kill the rumor though, no matter how many times I try to stop the disinformation spread, which is making me wonder if there really is some post out there to the contrary that I am missing.

I can't seem to kill the rumor
On the internet, rumors live forever.
And also the fact that you made everyone believed in the fourth liquid, even without meaning to! :dryadnaughty:

For the fourth "liquid", I'll say we're good on fluids for now. How about a gas that flows upwards instead, eh? It can behave the same as liquids, but in reversed gravity. Other properties can be determined later. I dunno about you people, but seeing a reverse water/something fall might be interesting.

I believe the whole 4th liquid rumor began when someone (I thought it was Snickerbobble) asked Redigit on his profile if there were any plans for a fourth liquid, and he said yes. After that, I guess everyone saw that and assumed it was confirmed for 1.3.

I thought that tar was plenty original. It forms a new block AND a new gem.

And I remember Lein saying it was partially his fault or some such thing. Hmm... the mystery thickens?

I think that was just snickers confirming the rumor. Pretty sure it was already floating around before that post.

I thought that tar was plenty original. It forms a new block
Which all three already do, when combined with other liquids.

The gem.... sure... but your idea of the gem is too easily renewable. And yes, that's coming from the one suggesting renewable gems, but I gated that post-mechs.

And I remember Lein saying it was partially his fault or some such thing. Hmm... they mystery thickens?

I think that was just snickers confirming the rumor. Pretty sure it was already floating around before that post.

Which all three already do, when combined with other liquids.

The gem.... sure.. but your idea of the gem is too easily renewable.

Hmmm... how about the block drops shavings which can be turned into a gem?

And I remember Lein saying it was partially his fault or some such thing. Hmm... the mystery thickens?

I said that because I'm the one who frequently mentioned the 4th liquid limit, which was often construed as a 4th liquid confirmation. So I felt like it was my obligation to stamp out the rumor, since if I had just kept my mouth shut, it may not have cropped up at all.

Last edited:
I just realized that fishing in tar would be interesting. Instead of a fish you pull out something that's been dead for a few centuries.
And you can fish out karaage in oil. Or bloated chicken x shark in floating gases. Well.... if one is to make such a suggestion, anyway.

I said that because I'm the one who frequently mentioned the 4th liquid limit, which was often construed as a 4th liquid confirmation. So I felt like it was my obligation to stamp out the rumor, since if I had just kept my mouth shut, it may not have cropped up at all.
Why.... did... you... have to quote me just before I fixed the damned "the"?

Oh well, too late to quell it now.

And slower than honey? To think I missed that.. Gonna say no to that as well.

Back
Top Bottom