Teleportation junction with new logic gates (hypothesis)

Ranadiel

Terrarian
Hey all!

I know everyone is pretty hyped about the coming 1.3.1 Wiring Update. Some more than others (i'm definitely very hyped). So i started writing out some of the basic and a bit more advanced concepts with the new logic gates. Hopefully all my concepts will be true to the game. So i'd like to present the first of my ideas and discuss a bit the plausibility of it.

My first thoughts of updating mechanisms is for teleportation hub and the possibility of using single wire to go back and forth. This of course poses a few risks here and there. So far i have narrowed it down to two distinctive designs.

UPDATE! None of the two below desings work as teleporter signal does not go through logic gates. Use other ways (as the latter two designs) if you want!

Terraria_teleport_logic4.png

I'd say this is quite simple in it's construction. Switch A is changing to which teleport should the player be ported, therefore if it's OFF the higher AND gate will be "used", if it's ON the lower AND gate will be used (the red block is NOT, although there won't be any such logic gate in-game, the main difference is to show that the upper will be turned off, compared to the lower, that's why i used yellow wire to show different state). When the signal goes through either of the AND gates, it moves straight to a crossroad leading back to START position or END teleporter.

Now here is the trick. As the signal will go to the furthest most teleporter, a loop is required near the END teleporter so that it is longer than the twist back to the START teleported right after AND.

When trying to get back from the END teleporter, the signal goes back to the crossroads. It can't go back through AND gate (bold and most probable idea), so it flies down to the OR gate. The OR gate would be a receiver from all the wires going out, so the number of inputs for it would reflect the number of teleporters that it would receive the signal from. Adding more OR gates would be beneficial for "shorter" input towers.

Terraria_teleport_logic.png

A bit different concept. The main reasoning behind this is possibility of sending signal back through the AND gate in some manner. The wiring to the AND gates is the same with the exception of red wire overlapping the AND gate also, just like the green wire hits the same input.

From what i thought out, starting the teleportation will enable the inputs as before, sending the signal through the green wire. Considering that the green wire is also on both inputs, toggling them off and player arrives at the destination. Pushing the switch at the END will activate the AND gate again (turning on both inputs) sending the signal to the START and toggling OFF only the input from the red wire.

In the end, the input from A would be still ON for the destination you previously chosen and the input from the START teleporter would be off, allowing to teleport back to the END with a single push of the switch. In theory, this should be more compact and straightforward.

These are mostly robust concepts and many improvements could be thought out. Tell me what you all think of both of the ideas.

Last edited:
But... none of these teleporters are connected by a wire?
I have tried my best to make the overall idea through.

NUMBER ONE: Left is connected on either side with red wires (one going to the AND gates, the other back to OR gate). On the right upper teleporter has green wire going through him and lower having yellow hit his left side.
NUMBER TWO: Left is connected with only red wire. On the right each teleporter has its own green wire connected.

It would be easier if it was inside Terraria, i could tweak a screenshot, but i don't have access til evening.

I think I get where you're coming at with this one. Interested to see if this concept will end up working. Alternatively to the base switch with which to alter which teleporter you decide is your destination, you could use one or more of the giant gem switches. You know, for adventure maps.

Additionally, adding a pair of light sources (one on; one off) to visibly show which teleporter you'll be warping to.

This is all contingent upon whether we can connect teleporters through the logic gates themselves. Therefore we'll have to save the discussion for Sunday when we'll know for sure.

My big idea (which came to me yesterday evening) is creating an adventure map with different "levels". What this means is that you start at a sort of teleportation hub, which shows on which "level" you currently are and after completing one it shifts to the next one (teleporting back adds to some counter). With logic gates it would be more compact.

Also, if neither of these work then it's a kind of a let down for me :(

As cool as this is, with Terraria's current Teleporter logic, I am doubtful that this would work as a Teleporter will only send someone to another Teleporter that it's wired to.

I would love if this was plausible, it'd definately reduce the size of a teleporter hub to just one teleporter in the hub, but I am highly doubtful in the execution due to the way the teleporters behave.

My point being is that there were no signal diverging/merging, nor manipulating mechanics in the past. Surely you could divide the wire to activate several things at a time, but still everything that would trigger had to have a direct wire to it.

If the teleporting is signal based (checking where the signal goes) then it'll work, as i assume it gathers all destinations where the signal went and found a teleporter. But if it's just checking direct connections (wire based) then it definitely won't as the teleporters are indirectly connected.

My point being is that there were no signal diverging/merging, nor manipulating mechanics in the past. Surely you could divide the wire to activate several things at a time, but still everything that would trigger had to have a direct wire to it.

If the teleporting is signal based (checking where the signal goes) then it'll work, as i assume it gathers all destinations where the signal went and found a teleporter. But if it's just checking direct connections (wire based) then it definitely won't as the teleporters are indirectly connected.
We won't know until the update comes out. the current way is Wire Based, not signal based. I can't wait for Sunday to see how this works!

My big idea (which came to me yesterday evening) is creating an adventure map with different "levels". What this means is that you start at a sort of teleportation hub, which shows on which "level" you currently are and after completing one it shifts to the next one (teleporting back adds to some counter). With logic gates it would be more compact.

Also, if neither of these work then it's a kind of a let down for me :(

From a practical perspective, if it doesn't work it won't really be a huge loss. The hub doesn't really benefit from reduced operation time and compression, since the hub is relatively small already (and it will get smaller with the 4th wire color and wire bypassers) and doesn't contain any recursive functions. However, it would be a bit of a loss when it comes to larger machines that use recursion. It would be great if we could control NPC/dummy pathing via teleporters and logic gates, because the current junction systems require the use of hoik teeth whose action state can be toggled, and that adds to the processing time.

What I'm particularly concerned about is whether the dummy ghosts will be changed in 1.3.1 so that they can no longer be used as signaling agents.

Okay... I'M NOT GIVING UP YET!

Got together two brand new ideas (which have its pros and cons), but i'm sure first will work. The second is kind of sketchy and i would like an opinion from more advanced players.

Terraria_teleport_logic5.png

UPPER SCHEMA: Variation of the previous design. Instead of wires going through the logic gates, logic gate output is the activator for the START teleporter. Using II or III (depending on where you went) will result in a direct teleport back. The obvious con from this is that you can link up to 8 wires (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow on either side of START teleporter) for 8 destinations. This could be enhanced with anything really, but also my other idea.

LOWER SCHEMA: (TELEPORTATION PROPAGATION)
I was wondering about a mechanism for instant teleportation forward and this is how i see it working with logic gates (please correct me if i'm wrong). When II is active (chosen this destination) you activate I and the teleportation from A to B commences, activating input above AND gate 3. There the output from AND gate 3 sends the player to C.

When going back you press switch III, porting directly from C to B, but the signal changes input of AND gate 2 (activating and deactivating sends a signal, therefore we don't care what state it is at). Output sends player from B to A, as activating AND gate 3 input will create a porting signal after 1 tick.

If my assumption is correct (signal from output is sent after 1 tick of activating inputs) then there won't be a problem coming back from C to A (having a possibility of porting back to C from B). Considering a teleportation HUB, there could be up to 4 destinations of type C (if wired correctly i think), meaning that the upper schema could have up to 32 destinations. In addition, the B teleporter could be changed to a hoiking activation (one pressure plate activates teleportation B->C, the other activates B->A).

What you guys think?

P.S. I'm definitely gonna build all of the above and when the update hits test it all how it works.
[doublepost=1463940527,1463746298][/doublepost]UPDATE IS HERE! (Gonna have to do a double post...)

From the short time spent on thesting my designs it looks like the first schemas don't work.
CONCLUSION: Teleporter signal doesn't go through logic gates.

Second set of ideas though work perfectly! Activating the teleporters back and through with choosing destinations, as well as teleportation propagation.
CONCLUSION: You can build a small teleporter hub with up to 8 destinations or add additional junctions limitlessly (as i presume) and have any number of destinations you want :)

I know this design is pretty robust and i'm sure it can be perfected (especially with other logic gates or something). Gonna update the previous post to reflect the status :)

Second set of ideas though work perfectly!

I forgot to post, but yes. I had assumed they would. :D You wrote you can hook up 8 different teleporters, but can't you hook up an infinitesmal number of them if you collect them all on the same wire colour?

I forgot to post, but yes. I had assumed they would. :D
I was counting on the third idea to work, activating the teleporters through logic gates output. Didn't know 100% for teleportation propagation. So it seems 1 tick (at least) is required to process the input from logic gates :D

Back
Top Bottom